Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Access connection problems

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
EXCrosslink

Access connection problems

#1 Post by EXCrosslink » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm running XP-SP1 on a R51 and recently developed a problem with IBM Access Connections (updated to 3.30). When Access Connections was working, I could connect wirelessly to my network without any problems but I couldn't 'see' the other PCs on the network or access any of their resources. As such, I decided to let windows do some network configurations and a network bridge was setup between my wireless adapter and the wired adapter.

This allowed me to view and access the network as well as access the internet wirelessly, however Access Connections no longer seems to work as the Windows wireless system seems to have taken over. Is there any way I can reverse this? I tried to delete the Network Bridge Windows created and reinstalled Access Connections but it doesn't seem to work (says that my wireless adapter is running off old drivers, which isn't the case - they're the latest). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Fiish

#2 Post by Fiish » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:12 am

Are you running any software firewalls on your ThinkPad? I've found that they can cause problems if your LAN computers aren't marked as trusted machines.

I had the same problem before even after updating the drivers; I found that Windows was still configured to manage the wireless connections. By unchecking the 'Let Windows manage my wireless connections' option in the Wireless Networking properties and reconfiguring Access Connections I managed to get around the problem.

However, I have allowed Windows to take over the management of my network connections (because, among other things, Access Connections needs more memory).

Is there any advantage, actually, in using Access Connections over using Windows (I'm on SP2 by the way)?