Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro on TP R52

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
praetor

Upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro on TP R52

#1 Post by praetor » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:19 am

Hi guys,

I'd like to upgrade my TP R52 from the original XP Home to XP Pro as I need to use couple XP Pro services such as the IIS. But at the same time I'd like to backup my original XP Home as my laptop does not comes with any restore CD. The original XP Home, drivers and other system files are pre-installed into a hidden partition and only accessible by pressing on the 'Access IBM' button.

I've got a few questions here.

Is it possible for me to backup the files?

If I leave the hidden partition as it is during the XP Pro installation process, will it interfere with the laptop's operation?

Is it possible to install back the Access IBM features once I've switched over to XP Pro?

Thanks in advance. :D

qazthinkzaq
Freshman Member

#2 Post by qazthinkzaq » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi,
You can/must create rescue cd so you can restore for sure.
If you perform a clear installation of XP Pro there will be problems with HPA at least i have . But if you perform windows update everything will be OK and everithing will be installed and working.
You can backup entire hdd by using norton ghost, but your backup must include master boot sector.I think it was "ghost -vb" but not so sure for -vb :)
If you perform clean install you can install all IBM featuers by downloading them from lenovo.com or by installing system update software.
Good Luck :)

praetor

#3 Post by praetor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks for the input qazthinkzaq

I create a set of RnR disc as well as backing up the hidden partition with Acronis. I hope that the RnR or Acronis backup will work in case I need them again. :D

I then deleted the hidden partition and C:\ and formatted them to install XP Pro. It's working fine now. Manage to get updates from Lenovo and shortcut keys works fine as well. :D
IBM Thinkpad R52. 2005 - Present
Custom desktop rig. 2003 - 2007 (Struck down by Zeus)