Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

tvt_gina.dll

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
golfit

#31 Post by golfit » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:53 am

dustrman, yes i believe that i deleted the right regfiles but cannot be 100% sure until i double-check.

ilovemia, yes, value in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon was set to tvt_gina.dll. So, i deleted, exited and rebooted. However, the problem persists. tvt_gina.dll reappeared in registry in same location; I cannot Control Panel / User Accounts / Change the Way Users Log on or Off.

Is it significant that msgina.dll is located here:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\IBM\TVT\Gina

and not here:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon

golfit

tvt_gina.dll

#32 Post by golfit » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:19 pm

hello,

as recommended by NimbleNadzz, the following steps finally worked for me:

1/ booted into Safe Mode (F5)
2/ ran regedit from command prompt
3/ modified two (2) registry entries:

a) HKLM\Software\IBM\TVT\Gina > deleted the value "Plugins"
b) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon > deleted the value "GinaDLL"

4/ exited regedit
5/ exited command prompt
6/ restart

msjones

#33 Post by msjones » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:43 pm

I also had a similar problem. Open up Thinkvantage Access Connections, probably under start/all programs/thinkvantage/access connections, go to options and click on global settings. See if "allow wireless authentication using windows logon user name and password" is ticked. If it is then untick it and restart your notebook. This worked for me to get the welcome screen back without editing my registry.

marcos
Sophomore Member

#34 Post by marcos » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:00 pm

Under Access Connections 4.11, the box to untick is now described as "Allow wireless connections at Windows logon (requires system restart).

This fixed the issue for me.
T440s OK so far.
T420s NVIDIA graphics. Nice, then MB failure.
T400s Workhorse. two of'em, both faulty display with vertical stripes.
T43 °very nice° - MB reflown and dead, two of'em.
T42 15°, dead onboard wireless.
T40, dead memory slot, stolen from me
T30, stolen from me
TP600 dead

louise

Access Connections and TV_Gina.dll

#35 Post by louise » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:41 am

I too had the problem discussed with Windows Logon after updating Access Connections. I found that if I didn't check the box to allow it to start with Windows Logon, I couldn't come out of suspend mode without having to manually start my wireless connection.

I uninstalled Access Connections and am using Windows to control my wireless connection. It is at least twice as fast and essentially, without problems.

I also have the windows welcome screen back.

My signal capacity and ability to hold the connection seems the same - and perhaps a little better without Access Connections. I have a feeling they "broke" it with the latest update.

Louise

hereim

#36 Post by hereim » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:42 am

GomJabbar wrote:
dustrman03 wrote:i installed it but i still have a slow login..when i put in the password and press enter, for some reason an ibm access connections dialog box comes up..and it loads and takes forever..
Try this. Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration service. Try Starting it and setting it to Automatic. This has fixed slow boot ups in the past for me.

You can also check in Access Connections for the following. Click on the Manage Location Profiles..., highlight your normal wireless connection and choose Edit, click on the Wireless tab and verify that you have chosen 'No' for Use this profile to connect during Windows logon? You can change by choosing Edit wireless LAN settings. You can also try leaving your wireless radio in the off state before shutdown, by pressing the Fn + F5 key combination.
thanks for your tip, i had the same problem and it's been fixed.

unitedunited

#37 Post by unitedunited » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:44 pm

GomJabbar wrote:
Try this. Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration service. Try Starting it and setting it to Automatic. This has fixed slow boot ups in the past for me.

You can also check in Access Connections for the following. Click on the Manage Location Profiles..., highlight your normal wireless connection and choose Edit, click on the Wireless tab and verify that you have chosen 'No' for Use this profile to connect during Windows logon? You can change by choosing Edit wireless LAN settings. You can also try leaving your wireless radio in the off state before shutdown, by pressing the Fn + F5 key combination.
I tried going through Manage Location Profiles and found that the checkbox was there for every single profile... except for the one that does boot up during startup! So, thanks to these boards, I realized I would have to uninstall and re-install Acess Connections 4.12 if I wanted to get my login screens back. But I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble.

24 hours later, my ThinkPad crashed, rebooted, displayed a whole mess of error messages then kicked over to the Windows Stop Error screen (the scary blue DOS one), and rebooted itself, only to have the same thing happen three more times. I was about to call IBM to have a proper freak-out when things suddenly stabilized and windows error reporting told me that the serious error I'd just recovered from was from an unknown or faulty device driver.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is if I somehow messed up in setting Wireless Zero Configuration to Automatic, which was the only tweak I tried. Other than AC 4.12, which I had installed a few days earlier, the only software install I'd done recently was SP2 a couple weeks ago.

I stripped out AC including location profiles, plus a couple other ThinkVantage things I don't use like Bluetooth and EasyEject, using the software installer. Since then (knock on wood!) booting windows is much faster and my old logon screens are back.

I have decided to keep AC off my machine. Windows' wireless networking connection panel has been upgraded in SP2 and it's not quite as painful to use as it used to be. I guess I'm just very disappointed that Lenovo would feed our machines software that 1. has led many users into unknowingly changing and complicating their logon process 2. seems (based on the posts here and in the AC 4.12 thread) to have caused a lot of headaches, including possibly spiking my machine and 3. takes up a huge chunk of memory to do all this. I'm not saying that AC isn't great for some users, but now I feel so burned by it that i don;t think I'll ever want to use it again.

Mod EDIT: Please make sure your quotes are attributed to the correct person - GomJabbar
unitedunited
reluctant networker
T42p (2 GB RAM) + Win XP Pro SP2

mientras
Freshman Member

#38 Post by mientras » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm

I want to keep the private disk functionality but delete all the other security software. Any way to do this?

Thanks

ktdyer

Re: Registry Change

#39 Post by ktdyer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:43 pm

ilovemia wrote:The Microsoft GINA can be replaced by adding a REG_SZ GinaDLL registry value in the key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon

Delete the GinaDLL value and Windows will revert to using the default MSGINA.DLL.

Edited to add:
Only delete the GinalDLL value if it is currently set to: tvt_gina.dll.
HELP! HELP! HELP! I did as above and tvt_gina.dll came right back. I did as above but put in the value as MSGINA.dll and NOW my password doesn't work and I can't get into my computer at all! I hope somebody is out there! Email me direct, please, at ktdyer@aol.com - thanks in advance to anybody.
Dyer in Dublin, CA. Home: Dell workhorse. Office: Dell Dimensions 4300; Employer's (for which I am responsible): IBM/Lenovo M Series that has caused a lot of grief

tpcGwD

tvt_gina.dll and lost of Welcome Screen (User Names)

#40 Post by tpcGwD » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:34 am

Here is a solution that should work that I found in the IBM/Lenovo ThinkVantage manual for my supervisor’s T41 that developed the same problem after I fixed some other problems and installed all available updates from Microsoft, IBM/Lenovo, Symantec, etc. to update his system:

07/09/2007 - Researched issue and found probable cause of disappearance of Windows XP Welcome Screen Logon was the default installation settings of IBM/Lenovo Client Security/Fingerprint software, to fix this problem follow the directions as follows-

With system on and logged into an administrator account try this procedure:

Click StartAll Programs ThinkVantage Client Security Solution
From the Client Security Solution main screen click on the Advanced drop down menu at upper left of the Client Security Solution main screen,

From the Client Security Solution - Advanced screen click Change logon settings box,

From the Windows Settings Tab on the Client Security Logon Setting window select by clicking the Enable neither of these interfaces button and select the Configure Windows XP Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching box then click the Apply and/or OK boxes at bottom of the Client Security Logon Setting window,

Then click the Close box on the Client Security Solution - Advanced screen window and then click the Close box on the Client Security Solution main screen, exiting the Client Security Solution program

Exit and reboot Windows and check that the desired Windows Welcome Screen with all current user accounts listed is displayed and that the system will also allow Fast User Switching (i.e. - that a user can Log Off or Switch User from the Windows Start button)

Let me know if this helps! :lol:

ktdyer

tvt_gina.dll

#41 Post by ktdyer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:30 am

Thank you, tpc, for your solution to that tvt_gina.dll problem that plagued me for some time. I apologize for not posting back that I did solve the problem via the following website:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm - see Item 45. on the right side.

Thank you again. --Karen
Dyer in Dublin, CA. Home: Dell workhorse. Office: Dell Dimensions 4300; Employer's (for which I am responsible): IBM/Lenovo M Series that has caused a lot of grief

Return to “Windows OS (Versions prior to Windows 7)”