Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Good installations of Windows Genuine Validation tool?

Operating System, Common Application & ThinkPad Utilities Questions...
wantathinkpad
Sophomore Member

Good installations of Windows Genuine Validation tool?

#1 Post by wantathinkpad » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:23 pm

okay. So I know this thing can be quite annoying but I know the majority (based on the lack of posts on this topic) have had no problems with the installation.

So do you do anything before installing?
Are there still annoying things about it?

I ask this because I am afraid to download. Because it doesn't sounds like I can uninstall or recover a bad installation.

GomJabbar

#2 Post by GomJabbar » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:27 pm

It's only annoying if you do not have a Genuine Copy of Windows. :wink:
DKB

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by jdhurst » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:37 pm

The annoying thing about Genuine Windows Validation is that it runs over and over and over again. It never stops and Microsoft now admits that they are running it on a continuous basis to collect information about you. They know who you are by tracking the model and serial of your ThinkPad. It does not matter to them that you are legal. They are intent on collecting private information (for which they have no need) to determine whether the Windows install is legal. Worse, they only need to check once, but they keep doing it. My guess is that the frequency of checks will continue to increase but that is a speculation on my part. ... JDH

wantathinkpad
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by wantathinkpad » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:34 pm

yeah my copy of Windows is Genuine. But I heard about this rechecking thing not sure how i feel about it. Sooner or later I will have to install it I guess.

But just making sure again. It is not CPU or memory hogging? and any inquiries are just at start up correct?

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by jdhurst » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:01 pm

It does not hog the CPU or memory. It works quietly by stealth instead. ... JDH

Stargate199

#6 Post by Stargate199 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:10 pm

I have the WGA Validation tool, but not the WGA Notification. The Validation tool is whats needed to download software off Microsoft's Website. I do not think it collects any information, but then again it's Micro$oft so anything is possible. The WGA Notifications is the program that got all the hype last year. You need WGA Validation tool if you want to upgrade to IE7 or WMP11. Otherwise, if you use the automatic updates, you should be fine. Do not set it to full automatic, otherwise it will install the notification program. WGA programs are not needed to install updates through automatic updates (yet, we'll see with SP3)
I have finally rejoined the dark side.
ThinkPad T450s, Core i7 5600u, 12GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD.
Previous ThinkPads: T41, T21, 600E

wantathinkpad
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by wantathinkpad » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:19 pm

okay. I didn't realize there was a difference. I definitely don't need any notificaitons. Also I downloaded Wmp11 a few months ago because just clicking update in WMP didn't work. I got it off downloads.com (CNET). and it installed fine. But I am going to assume it is impossible to get IE 7 stand alone?

Stargate199

#8 Post by Stargate199 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:29 pm

You can get IE7 from Microsoft's website. Just go to the Internet Explorer page and there should be a link to download it. WGA validation tool is required for the install to work. IE7 will only work with Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed.
I have finally rejoined the dark side.
ThinkPad T450s, Core i7 5600u, 12GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD.
Previous ThinkPads: T41, T21, 600E

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:54 am

Phone 'home' to Micro$haft at every boot up can be suppressed, using XP-Antispy: http://xp-antispy.org/index.php?lang=en
It lets you change a few useful other items as well.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

bonestonne
Freshman Member

#10 Post by bonestonne » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 pm

i see no reason in installing it whatsoever. i bought my XP, i know its legal, i could scan the box and CD as proof [however its little proof as i could just as easily find a picture on the internet and use that.

that and you don't actually need it. just google the patch or file you're looking for, and i can almost guarantee you'll be able to find a direct link somewhere for it. M$ doesn't need to know anything about you. its true that most people hit the mentality of "i know i'm legal, i have nothing to hide", however, nothing goes unchecked. browsing habits, personal blogs, all that and more...i'd rather i keep to myself than let M$ keep an eye on me.
Thinkpad T-22: 14.1" LCD, 900Mhz 20GB HDD, Linksys wifi adapter, Ubuntu 7.04, 512MB RAM
Apple Powerbook G4 Aluminum 15": 1.67GHz, 100GB HDD, Airport Extreme, Tiger 10.4.11, 2GB (bad RAM issue), Bluetooth, FW800, DVI