Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Recommended packages for a T60 running CrunchBang (Debian)?

Linux on ThinkPads
Roger-H

Recommended packages for a T60 running CrunchBang (Debian)?

#1 Post by Roger-H » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 am

I'm currently having some slowdown problems with a T60 which I've described in detail here:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110441

What I'm wondering is, for those of you running Debian Wheezy-based distros out there like CrunchBang, which packages do you normally install to make sure that the Thinkpad is running in tip top shape?

x220

Re: Recommended packages for a T60 running CrunchBang (Debia

#2 Post by x220 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Rather than installing extra software to help speed it up I would usually opt to remove anything that I don't use. Any extra software that you install, especially anything that runs a constant process will only slow a machine down.

Step 1) Remove anything that you don't use.
Step 2) Run apt-get autoremove
Step 3) Remove any processes that auto start (I believe on #! the file you want to edit is located at ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh)
Step 4) Regularly run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade to ensure everything is up to date, fixing any bugs.

I would also be a little concerned about CrunchBang running a little sluggish on those specs as it's a fairly light weight OS.
Daily use: X220, T410
Collection: 4xT20, T23, T60 (Pinkpad for my daughters), X22 (password locked), X24, 2xR40e, A20m, 600e, 701c
http://thevdm.com

rumbero

Re: Recommended packages for a T60 running CrunchBang (Debia

#3 Post by rumbero » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:38 pm

A must have for any respectable Linux Thinkpad nowadays is TLP to replace the good old laptop-mode-tools:
linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html.
"TLP brings you the benefits of advanced power management for Linux without the need to understand every technical detail. TLP comes with a default configuration already optimized for battery life, so you may just install and forget it. Nevertheless TLP is highly customizable to fulfil your specific requirements.
[...]
Please note: TLP runs on every laptop brand. Setting the battery charge thresholds is available for IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads only."
The developer is, of course, a Thinkpad user and highly respected long term member over at the German language thinkpad-forum.de.
A few 14.1" and 15" T61+ Frankenpads and one T480