Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Mint 17 Questions

Linux on ThinkPads
PandorasThinkpad
Sophomore Member

Mint 17 Questions

#1 Post by PandorasThinkpad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Hey!

I'd like to have a window preview in the task list of the opened windows just like in windows 7, would this be possible under Mint 17 Mate? On which way?

At the min forum somone told me to use compiz, but there is nothing like this to find, just to activate windows preview in the task list...

The other questions is how i will be abe to get arrows back in windows like the ones of firefox.,., just to put the pointer (the mouse) on it and to move up or down, with which design will i be able to realize this?

Oh well, if anyone would be able to help me in, that would be just great...i've searched the net and found only a big huge nothing about.

Kindly regards,

Pandora
My most actual Thinkpad:
T23 with 1,2 GHz PIII-M, CCFL XGA, big Docking and even an very seldom Ultrabay2000 Zip250 Drive
T450s with I7, FHD (AUO B140HAN01.3), 20GB Ram (one with no lenovo guarantee anymore because of real bad experiences with lenovo support)

PandorasThinkpad
Sophomore Member

Re: Mint 17 Questions

#2 Post by PandorasThinkpad » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Does really no one have a hint in here?

I've met the mint chat, but there the only tipp was to use compiz, but under which section of it there would be something to chose so that this will be the result, preview of the opened windows under mint 17 mate?

Thanx for help!

Regards,

PT
My most actual Thinkpad:
T23 with 1,2 GHz PIII-M, CCFL XGA, big Docking and even an very seldom Ultrabay2000 Zip250 Drive
T450s with I7, FHD (AUO B140HAN01.3), 20GB Ram (one with no lenovo guarantee anymore because of real bad experiences with lenovo support)

unix_joe

#3 Post by unix_joe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Use KDE.
unix_joe
Me: ThinkPad Z13 - Debian Stable KDE
Wife: ThinkPad Z16 - Pop!_OS
Kids: ThinkPad X280 - Debian Stable Gnome
TV: ThinkPad P14s - Debian Stable

Dekks

#4 Post by Dekks » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:36 am

Mint uses a forked metacity, changing to compiz is a rare change. Therefore not likely to be a great number of people who have done it. After 2mins googling i found...

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1621on how to install compiz, then.... once you have done that install CCSM via compiz-plugins, then enable thumbnail previews.

Re Windows arrows, maybe look for different themes for the MATE desktop.
Home - Win 10 MSi GF63 Gaming Laptop /Arch GNOME 3/X230 Tablet /X61 [Korean] - Debian 10/T60p - Ubuntu 20.10 Helix 2
Work - Win10/Thinkpad X1 Tablet Gen 2

PandorasThinkpad
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by PandorasThinkpad » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:48 pm

Well, i've installed compiz and all the extra stuff, but if i activate the tumbnails....nothing will be the result, no tumbnail of the window will be shown in the task list.

Getting back the arrows in the window, which sort of theme would this be that i have to chose for that? Got the answer by myself, unity as theme will bring them back...

Thanks!
My most actual Thinkpad:

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:02 pm

If you are referring to a feature similar to MS aero peek then I am nearly certain Mint 17 KDE edition has something similar. IIRC the last time I used my LiveUSB (w/Mint 17 KDE) I noticed a preview window appeared if I hovered the cursor over the taskbar.
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

PandorasThinkpad
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by PandorasThinkpad » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:32 am

Hey!

Exactely, this is what i refer to, to get this working, to get it under mate working. So will there be no solution at all?

Mate is my favorite desktop and i would like to get this working under this desktop.

Kind regards,

Pandora
My most actual Thinkpad: