thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fedora on T420s with EFI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

When I try to install (using the DVD, 64 bit) it hangs when it boots to the installer. I've also had problems with Ubuntu, which also won't boot. What's the deal? Fedora is supposed to support EFI since 11. Am I just missing something?

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:51 am 

visionviper wrote:
When I try to install (using the DVD, 64 bit) it hangs when it boots to the installer. I've also had problems with Ubuntu, which also won't boot. What's the deal? Fedora is supposed to support EFI since 11. Am I just missing something?

There are bugs in essentially all EFI implementations to date, but this year's thinkpad violate the specs in some particularly horrible ways. Matthew Garrett has looked into booting Linux on EFI and there was some progress but as far as I know its still not 100% ok.

Its also worth to notice that the Thinkpad bios breaks all advanced trickery with GPT partitions. In theory you should be able to install a GPT-aware bootloader in the legacy MBR area and boot the thinkpad in legacy (non-EFI) mode. But that does not work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Volker wrote:
There are bugs in essentially all EFI implementations to date, but this year's thinkpad violate the specs in some particularly horrible ways. Matthew Garrett has looked into booting Linux on EFI and there was some progress but as far as I know its still not 100% ok.

Its also worth to notice that the Thinkpad bios breaks all advanced trickery with GPT partitions. In theory you should be able to install a GPT-aware bootloader in the legacy MBR area and boot the thinkpad in legacy (non-EFI) mode. But that does not work.

Fun! Why can't these things ever be simple :(

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:42 pm 

visionviper: You need to boot with the "noefi" kernel parameter on kernels before 3.0. It disables the kernel efi extensions. After you install Fedora, you can download kernel 3.0 from http://koji.fedoraproject.org which fixes all the EFI problems.

You can install Ubuntu using the same method too, but note that Ubuntu 11.04 WILL WIPE YOUR EFI PARTITION due to bug that won't be fixed until 11.10.

EDIT: Here ya go, packages for kernel 3.0: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buil ... dID=256100 :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 am 

chenxiaolong wrote:
kernel 3.0 from http://koji.fedoraproject.org which fixes all the EFI problems.

Can you reboot (without extra kernel command line parameters)? This was the last major outstanding issue a month ago.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 pm 

Reboot works fine :P I'm pretty sure it doesn't reboot using the UEFI extensions though. I'm not sure how it reboots exactly, but it does work.