Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Fedora on T420s with EFI

Linux on ThinkPads
visionviper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Fedora on T420s with EFI

#1 Post by visionviper » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:12 am

When I try to install (using the DVD, 64 bit) it hangs when it boots to the installer. I've also had problems with Ubuntu, which also won't boot. What's the deal? Fedora is supposed to support EFI since 11. Am I just missing something?
7mm SSD list
Guide to fixing T4x GPU problems via reflow

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

Volker

Re: Fedora on T420s with EFI

#2 Post by Volker » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:51 am

visionviper wrote:When I try to install (using the DVD, 64 bit) it hangs when it boots to the installer. I've also had problems with Ubuntu, which also won't boot. What's the deal? Fedora is supposed to support EFI since 11. Am I just missing something?
There are bugs in essentially all EFI implementations to date, but this year's thinkpad violate the specs in some particularly horrible ways. Matthew Garrett has looked into booting Linux on EFI and there was some progress but as far as I know its still not 100% ok.

Its also worth to notice that the Thinkpad bios breaks all advanced trickery with GPT partitions. In theory you should be able to install a GPT-aware bootloader in the legacy MBR area and boot the thinkpad in legacy (non-EFI) mode. But that does not work.

visionviper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#3 Post by visionviper » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Volker wrote:There are bugs in essentially all EFI implementations to date, but this year's thinkpad violate the specs in some particularly horrible ways. Matthew Garrett has looked into booting Linux on EFI and there was some progress but as far as I know its still not 100% ok.

Its also worth to notice that the Thinkpad bios breaks all advanced trickery with GPT partitions. In theory you should be able to install a GPT-aware bootloader in the legacy MBR area and boot the thinkpad in legacy (non-EFI) mode. But that does not work.
Fun! Why can't these things ever be simple :(
7mm SSD list
Guide to fixing T4x GPU problems via reflow

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

chenxiaolong

#4 Post by chenxiaolong » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:42 pm

visionviper: You need to boot with the "noefi" kernel parameter on kernels before 3.0. It disables the kernel efi extensions. After you install Fedora, you can download kernel 3.0 from http://koji.fedoraproject.org which fixes all the EFI problems.

You can install Ubuntu using the same method too, but note that Ubuntu 11.04 WILL WIPE YOUR EFI PARTITION due to bug that won't be fixed until 11.10.

EDIT: Here ya go, packages for kernel 3.0: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buil ... dID=256100 :D

Volker

#5 Post by Volker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 am

chenxiaolong wrote:kernel 3.0 from http://koji.fedoraproject.org which fixes all the EFI problems.
Can you reboot (without extra kernel command line parameters)? This was the last major outstanding issue a month ago.

chenxiaolong

#6 Post by chenxiaolong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Reboot works fine :P I'm pretty sure it doesn't reboot using the UEFI extensions though. I'm not sure how it reboots exactly, but it does work.