Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Preload reinstall and software upgrade

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
Cecilia76
Sophomore Member

Preload reinstall and software upgrade

#1 Post by Cecilia76 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:26 am

Hallo,

my T42p is a little slow now and I would like to clean it and reinstall a fresh preload from the predesktop area.
My question is: during last year I update IBM software and drivers by using software update program.
I if install a new preload will it be updated?
That is: does the preload in the predesktop area use the driver in the main folder C:/DRIVERS?
After the reinstall, can I save the preload in a DVD using the IBM software?

Thanks, CARMINE
ThinkPad T42p (2373-HTG) [broken GPU, waiting for a motherboard replacement]
ThinkPad X41 (2525)

leif

#2 Post by leif » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:26 am

Hi, Carmine

As I know, the preload in the predesktop area contain the drivers & softwares in it. So it won't use the driver in C:\DRIVERS

I also want to find out such a recovery DVD but I don't think it can be changed the contain that can fix the problem like yours.

btw, if you use a boardband, and installed the 'Software Installer' from IBM in your nb, if easy to get all the newest drivers & software from Internet.

chan_man

#3 Post by chan_man » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 am

If you have all the latest drivers on your harddrive, then by all means, write them the a disk. When you use the recovery from the hidden partition, it will bring your machine back to a virgin state, this will require a format of the drive to do. Once the machine is up and running with the original image, copy the drivers back into the machine and run software installer again. It will just use the latest drivers so you will not have to download again.

Cecilia76
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Cecilia76 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:17 am

Hallo,

thank you for your answers. So, finally, suppose I make a clean reinstall of the preload and then I update the drivers with the software update.
If I will make a DVD copy of the freshly installed preload will the copy be updated?

Thanks again, CARMINE
ThinkPad T42p (2373-HTG) [broken GPU, waiting for a motherboard replacement]
ThinkPad X41 (2525)