Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Stuck pixels, whats the best way to get them unstuck???

T60/T61 Series
myrighteye

Stuck pixels, whats the best way to get them unstuck???

#1 Post by myrighteye » Wed May 17, 2006 7:02 am

Just received my beautiful T60p and noticed two stuck pixels on the 15" flexview. One red and one blue, they are quite noticable during bootup and while watching DVDs. Tried to "massage it out quickly", but no luck there. I also downloaded UndeadPixel (free) and ran that for about 20 minutes which did not fix the problem. Has anyone had any luck with udpixel at all? If so, how long did you have to run the program? I don't want to return my 2623DDU due to the long process of RMAs and possible shipping delays. Any advice or other possible solutions?

GomJabbar

#2 Post by GomJabbar » Wed May 17, 2006 7:33 am

DKB

lrrobinson

#3 Post by lrrobinson » Wed May 17, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks so much for this information, I have ONE red stuck pixel on my T60 and at first I thought it was a dead pixel, but now I know it's a stuck pixel and I am running this program now to try to get rid of it. I hope it works.

Thanks again!

tselling
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#4 Post by tselling » Wed May 17, 2006 11:13 am

From what I understand, you need to run the pixel fixers for hours not minutes. I would try overnight.
T61P 2.2ghz 4GB 7K200GB 15.4" WSXGA+ Vista 64
HP 2530p L7400 1.86Ghz 3GB 160GB Windows 7 Pro 64
(Hubby) HP 2510p U7500 1.06Ghz 2GB 5K120GB 12" LED WXGA XP Pro
(4 year old son) Toughbook CF-29 1.3Ghz 1.2GB 5K250GB 13.3" XGA XP Pro

myrighteye

#5 Post by myrighteye » Wed May 17, 2006 11:29 am

Wow Teresa,

Just reading your signature gives me more reason not to return my T60p, hopefully the third time is a charm for you. There's absolutely no guarantee I'll get a perfect lcd next time. I will try to run the pixel program overnight and post results if it works.

myrighteye

#6 Post by myrighteye » Wed May 17, 2006 11:36 am

lrrobinson,

Please post results after running the pixel fixer for those of us with stuck pixels. I'm going to try out 2 different programs and post if they work or not. I would recommend turning off your screensaver and standby options too if you plan on running it for hours.

GoofyG28
Freshman Member

#7 Post by GoofyG28 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:21 pm

Yes, I'm curious to know if it works. I tried massaging it. I tried running a color program for my 32" LCD TV overnight. That didn't work. Others HAVE massaged their stuck pixels before, plus using programs to aid in the process, and it has worked.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=22980

My first Z60m purchased had several stuck pixels. Couldn't stand it. I was hoping my T60 wouldn't have it, and I have one. I've learned to live with it, because I don't want to go through the RMA process again, especially when I don't have any idea how long my second purchase would take (I cancelled my 2nd z60m after 1.5 months of waiting), and nothing guarantees a flawless second LCD.

I've been running UDPixel whenever I have time. I think I'll let it run overnight, too. Someone mentioned that they massaged the LCD from the back (but how?).
T60 - 2613-EKU (custom): Core Duo 2.0Ghz T2500, 15" LG-Phillips LCD, ATI x1400, 2GB RAM, 160GB + 100GB HDDs, fingerprint, 2 x 6-cell batteries, ALPS keyboard, Ultrabay DVD-RW, Ultrabay 3-cell battery, Ultrabay HD adapter, BT, Atheros 11a/b/g WiFi

robertsun

#8 Post by robertsun » Thu May 18, 2006 2:01 pm

Guys, if your ThinkPad LCD screen only has stuck pixels (red, green, or blue pixel, always light on), try this utility called UDPixel. You can download it from here http://udpix.free.fr/index.php?p=dl.

I have a RED stuck pixel on my old T41, and it bother me over past two years. I ran this utility last night for almost 4 hours, and the magic thing happen on me. I did change the speed, size, and different color pattern for this stuck pixel, and half of the time set for red and black.

I will try this utility again on my new T60p (one red stuck pixel on 15" 1600x1200, it is not my luck and don't think can exchange for a better one). I hope everyone should try this utility first before RMA or return.

Remember, this utility only work for stuck pixels, NOT for death pixels. Also, you should run it over night (turn off screen saver, dimmer, and you can lower lcd back light) before give up. :D

rk62

#9 Post by rk62 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:26 pm

Quick thing to try that I have used successfully in the past to unstick pixels...change the Windows desktop background to the same color as the stuck pixel, then change back to your normal desktop background...about 1/2 the time it works on the first or 2nd try, at least in my experience.

Randy
T61 (7662-CTO)
X31 (2673-FU8)

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#10 Post by BillMorrow » Thu May 18, 2006 6:25 pm

GoofyG28 wrote:Yes, I'm curious to know if it works. I tried massaging it. I tried running a color program for my 32" LCD TV overnight. That didn't work. Others HAVE massaged their stuck pixels before, plus using programs to aid in the process, and it has worked.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=22980

I've been running UDPixel whenever I have time. I think I'll let it run overnight, too. Someone mentioned that they massaged the LCD from the back (but how?).
please let us know if it works for you.. :)

while i am a bit skeptical, it would be nice if this DID work..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

aarong
Freshman Member

#11 Post by aarong » Fri May 19, 2006 1:33 am

I am heartbroken; I just spent $2700 on a 2623DDU and I've found four dead pixels and 8 stuck pixels. They're not terribly noticable, but get a black background going and you can very easily notice them on close inspection. I'm so excited to have this laptop (I've been waiting over two years to replace my aging PowerBook) that I don't think I can stomach an RMA - but I certainly don't want to be stuck with a screen from the bottom end of the Bell curve.

Hopefully this program works. LCDs aren't user servicable, are they? I'd be happy to do the work for them, so long as I don't void my warranty :D
Current: 51nb X62 (3rd edition)
Previous: T60p 2623-DDU

GoofyG28
Freshman Member

#12 Post by GoofyG28 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:58 am

aarong wrote:Hopefully this program works. LCDs aren't user servicable, are they? I'd be happy to do the work for them, so long as I don't void my warranty :D
No, that'll void your warranty. But, you are soon reaching their warranty threshold, which is 16 mixed pixels (stuck + dead). I say, flick your screen and see if you can create some more. Then, under warranty, they will HAVE to replace your LCD. :) Or, just buy another T60 now, and judging from the forum, you might get yours in as early as days or less than 2 weeks. Then, call in and return your current one (they told me it had to ARRIVE at their warehouse in 30 days from ship date).

Pixel policy: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4U9P53
T60 - 2613-EKU (custom): Core Duo 2.0Ghz T2500, 15" LG-Phillips LCD, ATI x1400, 2GB RAM, 160GB + 100GB HDDs, fingerprint, 2 x 6-cell batteries, ALPS keyboard, Ultrabay DVD-RW, Ultrabay 3-cell battery, Ultrabay HD adapter, BT, Atheros 11a/b/g WiFi

aarong
Freshman Member

#13 Post by aarong » Fri May 19, 2006 2:32 am

GoofyG28 wrote:
No, that'll void your warranty. But, you are soon reaching their warranty threshold, which is 16 mixed pixels (stuck + dead). I say, flick your screen and see if you can create some more. Then, under warranty, they will HAVE to replace your LCD. :) Or, just buy another T60 now, and judging from the forum, you might get yours in as early as days or less than 2 weeks. Then, call in and return your current one (they told me it had to ARRIVE at their warehouse in 30 days from ship date).

Pixel policy: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4U9P53
Reading the parts list, it seems the LCDs are listed as field replaceable. I didn't realize they covered stuck pixels (I wrongly assumed it was dead pixels only). I purchased an additional warranty coverage for $160, but I'm not entirely sure what that covers (it's not very clear on the site). I'll call up tomorrow, see what my coverage is, and what they can do about it. I really really really really REALLY dont want to return this notebook
Current: 51nb X62 (3rd edition)
Previous: T60p 2623-DDU

GoofyG28
Freshman Member

#14 Post by GoofyG28 » Sat May 20, 2006 1:30 pm

BillMorrow wrote:please let us know if it works for you.. :)

while i am a bit skeptical, it would be nice if this DID work..
Well, as expected, I ran a color-cycling program, and after 12 hours (actually, a little OVER 12 hours), the greenish stuck pixel is still there.

I ran Dead Pixel Tester (www.dps.uk.com), which is just like UDPixel, but at full screen. I didn't want the coloring over that one pixel, because the rest of the screen would stay stationary in color (I wanted to prevent any burn-in, which isn't likely since my laptop is so new).

Anyone else have any luck?

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#15 Post by christopher_wolf » Sat May 20, 2006 2:52 pm

What you seem to have with that green pixel is a dead pixel; it will not change with the pixel remover program.

Stuck pixels can be removed/regenerated by such programs as the PSP pixel-fizer video, and any other color-cycling program. Stuck pixels are usually either white/light grey/dark in color. Almost all the dead pixels I have seen thus far are either one of the primary colors, RGB, or simply dead off or stuck white.
IBM ThinkPad T43 Model 2668-72U 14.1" SXGA+ 1GB |IBM 701c

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"

zephyr

#16 Post by zephyr » Sun May 21, 2006 4:15 am

christopher_wolf wrote:What you seem to have with that green pixel is a dead pixel; it will not change with the pixel remover program.

Stuck pixels can be removed/regenerated by such programs as the PSP pixel-fizer video, and any other color-cycling program. Stuck pixels are usually either white/light grey/dark in color. Almost all the dead pixels I have seen thus far are either one of the primary colors, RGB, or simply dead off or stuck white.
Are you sure about that? Most of the online info says that stuck pixels are R, G, or B, while dead pixels are black. E.g.: http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixe ... CD-Monitor

I have a stuck green pixel on my brand new T60p. Can I exchange the unit? I would rather not purchase a new one and return the current one, as I know my current model took well over 4 weeks to arrive.

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#17 Post by christopher_wolf » Sun May 21, 2006 4:27 am

A stuck pixel can be shaded a light color, but most of the ones I have seen have more variation with regards to white/dark than anything else.

The "Dead" pixels I am talking about aren't dead in the sense that "they don't light up;" rather, in the sense that they do not, and will not change, no matter how many times the pixel is instructed to. These are hardware issues that have to do with the TFT while stuck pixels more a result of hardware variation. There is a fuzzy line where a stuck pixel becomes a dead pixel, and I have seen some tenacious stuck pixels.

Also, searching some more, here is some info about it on the ThinkWiki; See

http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_ ... bpixels.3F

Technically, there are several "Type" distinctions used to class such pixels in relation to their surroundings; there are also ISO standards that say as much and dictate what the tolerances should be...The manufacturers take it from there. :)
IBM ThinkPad T43 Model 2668-72U 14.1" SXGA+ 1GB |IBM 701c

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"