Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Replacement Hard Drive for a T20 :(

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
lutami
Sophomore Member

Replacement Hard Drive for a T20 :(

#1 Post by lutami » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:57 pm

Friend bought a T20 a week or so ago...knows less about laptops then i do :( my fault she says because i'm always 'crowing' about how great mine is.

Anyhow...machine looks mint condition..in fact it looks new and unused.

It's a 2647-21G 6GB/128 think it's a 700MHz.

Booted up to desktop fine...so she didn't test out anything else and paid the seller for it.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

OS completely messed up...wouldn't open anything...just messages saying files missing even when she tried 'control panel etc'

Don't know what the messages were because she didn't note them down...i think the seller messed up when removing all personal files and info and removed dlls etc.

Bought it for a good price so she thought installing Windows 2000 would fix everything.

Install ok...she's been getting lots of crashes and various other problems with it though.

So she brought it round to me for some help...took a while before i stopped laughing at her thinking i may know what i was doing!!!!

The only thing i can think of doing is upgrading the memory and fitting a larger Hard Drive...i think the problems are caused by all the apps she's trying to run on it...hard drive shows full and that's without Powerpoint etc that she wants to put on.

With help from reading posts on here i can manage to buy the correct memory and will be able to fit it for her.

Where though do i start in finding the correct sized HD though...Used/refurbished one...and what's the Max size that can be fitted...can anyone point me in the right direction! what to search for and where maybe?

Cheers for any help :)
ThinkPad R51 2887 - Pentium M 715 1.5 GHz - RAM 768MB - HD 160GB - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - Mdm - LAN EN, Fast EN, 802.11b, 802.11g - Centrino - Win XP Pro.

600X with a 60GB HD 384MB RAM and it runs XP like a dream :

PB EASYNOTE MX37-U-004.Vista Home Premium

dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#2 Post by dsvochak » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:14 pm

1. Virtually all current drives will work. New drives are relatively cheap (at least in the US)

2. You may want to download the hardware maintenance manual here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4UYM3F

3. IBM's instructions for installing W2K on a T20 are here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4S5SKR

4. Sofware utilities and device drivers are here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4JSQHB
I used to be an anarchist but I quit because there were too many rules

lutami
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by lutami » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Fantastic...thanks...i had found the IBM 'detect my system link' but couldn't get it to work on the T20...put in details manually but never found those links to the manuals.

Appreciated :)
ThinkPad R51 2887 - Pentium M 715 1.5 GHz - RAM 768MB - HD 160GB - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - Mdm - LAN EN, Fast EN, 802.11b, 802.11g - Centrino - Win XP Pro.

600X with a 60GB HD 384MB RAM and it runs XP like a dream :

PB EASYNOTE MX37-U-004.Vista Home Premium