Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 random freezing

T60/T61 Series
AnEnlightenedGuy

T60 random freezing

#1 Post by AnEnlightenedGuy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:20 am

To everyone who has experienced random freezing on their T60, try this:

Open the Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, Run, and typing: eventvwr

In the left pane, click on System. In the right pane, sort by Source and look for red "acpiec" errors.

Let me know if you find any.

gigga

#2 Post by gigga » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:00 am

I got more than a dozen times of randon freezing since May 21.
I found 40 errors in the eventvwr. They are "Service control manager", "Dhcp", "Server", "W32Time", "cdrom"
It's really annoying. and made me lose confidence for the Thinkpad...
Could anyone give me a hand ?
Appreciate for your kindly help.
T60P 2623DDU 2GB

sugo
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by sugo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:22 am

DHCP and W32Time are most likely network issues rather than issues on your thinkpad.

cdrom sounds like a hardware issue.
X61

AnEnlightenedGuy

#4 Post by AnEnlightenedGuy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 am

Eventvwr logs many errors, most of them innocuous. The only one you have to worry about for this problem is the acpiec error. Do you have it?

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#5 Post by BillMorrow » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:15 am

gigga wrote:I got more than a dozen times of randon freezing since May 21.
I found 40 errors in the eventvwr. They are "Service control manager", "Dhcp", "Server", "W32Time", "cdrom"
It's really annoying. and made me lose confidence for the Thinkpad...
Could anyone give me a hand ?
Appreciate for your kindly help.

T60P 2623DDU 2GB
per your sig line you have add in memory in your thinkpad..
remove it and see if you get random freezing..

your use of english indicates a non-english native language..
where are you from..?
why is your IP in taiwan and your location showing as NC..?
thanks
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

bigtiger

#6 Post by bigtiger » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:32 am

If you are using the Fan Control software from this forum, I think that might be the problem.

I remember this error when I had my T43. There is some trick to disable this error but I am just too lazy to search for you.
currently own X61S, T42, X31, Macbook Pro Unibody i5

gigga

#7 Post by gigga » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:59 am

Thanks for your reply.
1. The additional 1GB RAM was bought directly from Lenovo website. I need it for 3D Pro/E CAD use. If I have to remove it, should I change to other brand RAM ? or the Max memory I'll get is only 1GB..?
2. I havn't used the Fan control software, though, I did suspect the CPU temperature caused the freezing.
3. Just hours ago, I opened a Pro/E 3D assembly, and IE browser for this forum. I closed the lid & took a nap. When I open the lid again try to wake the T60P, but no response again. Even no screen. (I think it died again during standby..)...

ps. Hi, Bill, I work at RTP, NC, and just took a vacation back to Taiwan.
T60P 2623DDU 2GB

jjesusfreak01

#8 Post by jjesusfreak01 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:07 pm

gigga wrote:Thanks for your reply.
1. The additional 1GB RAM was bought directly from Lenovo website. I need it for 3D Pro/E CAD use. If I have to remove it, should I change to other brand RAM ? or the Max memory I'll get is only 1GB..?
2. I havn't used the Fan control software, though, I did suspect the CPU temperature caused the freezing.
3. Just hours ago, I opened a Pro/E 3D assembly, and IE browser for this forum. I closed the lid & took a nap. When I open the lid again try to wake the T60P, but no response again. Even no screen. (I think it died again during standby..)...

ps. Hi, Bill, I work at RTP, NC, and just took a vacation back to Taiwan.
There are some problems (which are hopefully being fixed by Lenovo). Currently, there are some RAM modules that are installed in T60s that do not work when installed with any other memory. See this thread. The problems with standby are usually attributed to the PowerPlay setting for the ATI graphics card (x1400 on T60, V5200 on T60p). If you turn off PowerPlay, or install BIOS version 1.04 (which is an earlier version of the BIOS, but it works better for alot of things), this problem is likely to stop. You can get the earlier BIOS from the Lenovo website here at the bottom of the page.
Lenovo X230 Tablet CTO modded with 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM
Lenovo T60 2637-UN6 (Retired)

esmithf_ts

#9 Post by esmithf_ts » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:48 pm

I got my T60p at the start of the month, a 15 days later it died on me - but I had been running it nonstop during those 15 days if that matters. I had the top down on it and external connections (24" monitor, ethernet, microphone, USB to monitor which then allowed photo cards and printer access), USB keyboard, USB mouse.

I took it in, they replaced the motherboard on it, and I got it back yesterday.

It worked fine for the rest of the day, and then I went to sleep and left it again top down with things connected to it. I came out in the morning and the login screen was up, as if it had restarted and was waiting for me to login, but it was completely unresponsive to any input.
I had to hold the power button to restart it, and then it worked most of the day. I finally had some time away from some projects to goof off on the web and so I played a Flash game online - during that there was a static noise and the unit was frozen - I assume the static noise (from the speakers) was just the sound card in mid-freeze.
I restarted it and it worked long enough to boot and get everything back up again - I then went to ebay and before it could load the page, it froze again.

There is 2GB of RAM in this unit, the original 1GB stick is in the desk here in a static guard, and the 2GB (2x1GB) is from 1-800-Memory.

I don't know what bios version this is, but it is a brand new motherboard from being serviced.

I am so frustrated about this because I specifically bought a ThinkPad because I had heard that they were so great and I *really* need my machines to be stable for work.

This is absolutely ridiculous. The machine itself is less of the hassle for me at this point - I can get about 3 junky HP laptops for what I paid for this ThinkPad, and essentially assume they are disposable.

The hassle for me is the time I lose in dealing with this annoyance, and having to resinstall all of the applications on a machine after one dies and working out the licensing again.

Please tell me that there is a fix to this, otherwise I have a brand new ThinkPad I would like to sell if anyone wants it.
Eric Smith

AnEnlightenedGuy

#10 Post by AnEnlightenedGuy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:03 pm

Again, please tell me if you have the acpiec error in your event viewer.

The freezing is caused by a bad embedded controller, for which Lenovo will be releasing a fix shortly. If you want you can call them and ask for version 1.05a of the embedded controller. It's not officially released yet.

I'm not sure, but I think alot of the "bad memory" problems really have nothing to do with the memory, and everything to do with the embedded controller.

So people, please tell me if you have the acpiec error!

esmithf_ts

#11 Post by esmithf_ts » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:08 pm

I have no acpiec errors - the only errors in there today are WAM service failure, DNS failure, and RPC failure.

The machine appears very happy all the way up until the freeze.

As long as it doesn't die during one of these freezes, then that is better than nothing - but I honestly can't continue to work like this if it is going to freeze - I am a tech consultant and program on a variety of things and I really need to know when the machine is causing issues and when my code is causing issues.
I have been able to rule out my code in the past two days because since this machine was being repaired I haven't done anything on it.

Business machine my ***.
Eric Smith

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by DavidNY » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Has this been resolved? I have random freezing too, I speculate Norton has something to do with it, I've ruled out memory and the ATI hotkey poller.
X61t, T60, T23, T21 (all XP), 385XD

claudeo
Sophomore Member

#13 Post by claudeo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:35 pm

Try to run the machine for a while with the original memory only. If it does not happen again, you'll know there is a problem with the memory you bought from a third party.
Also, even though it looks very simple, the memory has to be put in just right for a clean contact, and the socket is rather fragile. The memory has to be pushed in at just the right angle and it must "hit bottom" along its whole length before you can lower it to fit in the latches. If while you were removing or installing the memory you were not using the correct angle, or did not hit bottom all the way, or you forced anything, you may have damaged the socket or one of its delicate surface solder connections to the mainboard, and all bets are off. But hopefully by just reseating the memory the problem will go away.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by DavidNY » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:37 am

I have two T60s. The freezing doesn't happen on my other T60 so I swapped the memory to rule out possible memory issues.

However this does not rule out a faulty contact somewhere along the line, as you suggest, but I would expect the freezing to happen more often if that were the case. It occurs once a day or so.

My 2, 1GB sticks of additional memory were purchased from Lenovo and are made by Hynix. I originally had 2GB in one machine and 1GB in the other, now I have 1.5GB in each.

DavidNY
Sophomore Member

#15 Post by DavidNY » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:29 am

I had the planar board changed on the freezing T60... No more freezes.

_crni_

Re: T60 random freezing

#16 Post by _crni_ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:18 am

My T60p freezes every half hour while I'm playing or few times per day if I'm using it for downloading, surfing, watching videos etc.

I found these issues on event viewer:
Critical:
Kernel-Power

Error:
Ntfs
pcmcia
Service Control Manager
TPM
NETLOGON
GroupPolicy
Disk
Service Pack Installer
atikmdag
EventLog
DistributedCOM
WindowsUpdateClient
sptd
BTHUSB
VDS Basic Provider

Can somebody help me? Thanks.

Caterpillar

#17 Post by Caterpillar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 pm

I am experiencing an identical trouble. It freezes randomly: it can work flawlessly for 3 days and then freeze, or for 1 day. etc.
I really don't know what to do...

leacris1

#18 Post by leacris1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:13 pm

What condition is your battery in? I have found that a dying or dead battery often will lock up the system. Try operating your laptop with the battery removed and see if anything changes.

Chris

JoeHallenbeck

#19 Post by JoeHallenbeck » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:35 am

I had lock up problems due to the GPU overheat. After I solved GPU overheat problem machine did lock up couple of times resulting in one occasion with screen flash and failure of ATI driver (x1400). After uninstalling and cleaning registry and installing fresh copies of ATI drivers, lock ups didn't show up again.

I just have ACPI erors in event viewer every time the machine reboots because of TPFAN controll. But it is just warning not critical error.

Hope it helped

Caterpillar

#20 Post by Caterpillar » Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 am

leacris1 wrote:What condition is your battery in? I have found that a dying or dead battery often will lock up the system. Try operating your laptop with the battery removed and see if anything changes.

Chris
Probably you are right. I tried using another battery (I have 2 of them) and from about 10 days I don't get freezes! Thank you for the hint! I would have bought another computer if I did not know about this battery problem!

Caterpillar

#21 Post by Caterpillar » Wed May 08, 2013 9:57 am

update:
the freeze problem is not due battery troubles: I just had a freeze with the second battery I am trying with... Now I have to choice between replacing the mother board or buy a Thinkpad T500 that is the only 16:10 screen 15"