Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Z61m Blurry web site images

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
dejola

Z61m Blurry web site images

#1 Post by dejola » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:29 pm

Thought I might pass along this saga relating to blurry web site images on my new Z61m. About three weeks ago I noticed hat the images on some web sites I visited were blurry and of low resolution. I said to myself, "Uh oh," and decided to call IBM/Lenovo tech support. After a conversation with the tech we both felt like maybe there was a problem with the video adapter. They sent me a DHL box and off my Z61m went for repairs. Got it back a week later with a cryptic note that referenced a planar card. Didn't know what that was so I called tech support. They said a planar card was the system board and that they replaced it.

The next day I found I still had the blurry images on some web sites.
I started to investigate a little further. A nice fellow on the 24hoursupport.helpdesk newsgroup suggested that the problem could be caused by a we accelerator. Indeed I had recently installed Google's web accelerator, so I thought he was onto something. I disabled the web accelerator that night when I got home. Problem seemed to be resolved, but it came back the next day.

I finally figured out the problem. I use Verizon's National Wireless Broadband in the car. I poked around in the VZAccess software and clicked on Tools > Preferences > Venturi tab. There I found the problem. Here I was offered four choices: 1) Best images, slowest speed; 2) Good quality images, medium speed; 3) Medium quality images, fast speed; and 4) Low quality images, fastest speed.

Of course I found it was set on low quality images, fastest speed, a setting I probably selected myself but just didn't remember doing so.

So there you are, problem solved.

What made it even more confusing was that when I was at home using the Z61m's built-in wireless card on my home wireless network I had no problem. It was only when I was using the Verizon National Wireless Broadband that the images were blurred.
That's what made it look like a vexing intermittent problem.

Pretty stupid of me, huh?

Well, maybe someone will benefit fro my experience.

philnicholas

Re: Z61m Blurry web site images

#2 Post by philnicholas » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:34 am

dejola wrote: I use Verizon's National Wireless Broadband in the car. I poked around in the VZAccess software and clicked on Tools > Preferences > Venturi tab. There I found the problem. Here I was offered four choices: 1) Best images, slowest speed; 2) Good quality images, medium speed; 3) Medium quality images, fast speed; and 4) Low quality images, fastest speed.
Even though this isn't Thinkpad-specific information, thanks for writing it up! As a lead web developer, this is really interesting to me. I bet as our workers go mobile more often, we'll be getting complaints about our web pages because of this.

GomJabbar

#3 Post by GomJabbar » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:27 am

Cingular does this two different ways....

They have the Bytemobile optimization client - which fortunately can be uninstalled from Cingular Connection Manager (it also causes other problems). Additionally one has the option with each of the PC cards that Cingular offers to use the manufacturer's wireless manager instead of Cingular Connection Manager.

They also have two different logins. Depending upon which one you use, you get normal images or degraded images (for faster web browsing).

Personally I hate degraded images, so I'll take the slower connection over fuzzy images.

-----------------------------------------------------

No acceleration (qualilty images)
User name -- ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Pass word -- CINGULAR1

With acceleration (fuzzy images)
User name -- ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Pass word -- CINGULAR1

Access point or APN is "isp.cingular"
DKB

Return to “ThinkPad R, A, G and Z Series”