Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Microsoft Presenter Mouse not working with T60 bluetooth

T60/T61 Series
swaggoner

Microsoft Presenter Mouse not working with T60 bluetooth

#1 Post by swaggoner » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:31 am

Hi,

I've searched and searched and can't find anyone with this specific problem. I have a new Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000 and I can see it with the My Bluetooth places and I can tell it to connect to the mouse, but the mouse will not move the cursor (i.e. it is not, in fact, connecting). Using the Microsoft supplied dongle works fine, it recognizes the mouse immediately and I can use it. Also, it connects fine to my desktop over an MSI bluetooth dongle, so I think my problem is with the Thinkpad bluetooth drivers, or I am doing something else wrong. Anyone else have any issues with mouse that are similar?

iatacs19
Freshman Member

#2 Post by iatacs19 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 am

you are luckier than me, my thinkpad would not even detect my MS mouse 8000. But once it's detected, go to the bluetooth control panel and check the properties for the mouse and make sure the check the checkbox on the tab Services that says: Drivers for keyboard, mice, etc (HID)

swaggoner

#3 Post by swaggoner » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:16 am

Hmm, I can't seem to find the Bluetooth control panel, there is the Bluetooth configuration menu in the Control panel and here I have a tab for Local Services, but the HID section is not here, it is in Client applications and it has no configuration details to speak of, you can just change its name, nothing else. Perhaps I have an incomplete installation of the IBM bluetooth stack?

iatacs19
Freshman Member

#4 Post by iatacs19 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:35 am

on the lenovo site there are 2 sets of drivers, i got the one release by microsoft, not the IBM one.

do you see these screens?

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5152/blue1tc0.png

Then click on Properties button after selecting the device:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5820/blue2ln1.png

swaggoner

#5 Post by swaggoner » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:41 am

No, I don't have those screens and I have the lenovo driver. I will try the microsoft driver and see if that works. Thanks for your help.

swaggoner

#6 Post by swaggoner » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Well, the latest Lenovo drivers work fine. I should have tried that from the beginning, but I thought that the Thinkvantage software had installed the latest version. Anyway, thanks for the help, the mouse is now working like a champ.

blynch

#7 Post by blynch » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:34 am

hey, I'm thinking about getting the presenter 8000 and I'm glad to here you got it working, but if I may ask how do you like the mouse overall? How is the battery life and sturdiness?

swaggoner

#8 Post by swaggoner » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:36 am

I think the mouse is fine. I particularly enjoy the wireless connection with no dongle (which would be the prereq of any bluetooth mouse, of course). The mouse seems to be very solid. I use it daily and have not had to change a battery, yet. The Presenter mode is well thought out as you simply click a button on the top and see on your screen that it has entered presenter mode and it disables the normal mouse keys so there are no accidental clicks.

As for scratches, I opted to continuing using the packing case it came with as this seems to be their intent as they added a wrist strap for it. For this reason, the mouse looks like new, no scratches, etc. I continue to carry the dongle with me, just in case. It has a small niche in the bottom of the packing case, but it is not held in place, so I put a bit of tape over it to keep it in place since I would only need it in an emergency.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

-swag

ericvn

#9 Post by ericvn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:36 am

The first post pretty much sums up my problem. I cannot get the mouse to move when trying to connect with the Lenovo Bluetooth stack, but it works fine via the dongle.

I did try resinstalling (uninstall/reboot/reinstall) the Lenovo Enhanced Rate Bluetooth software and that didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I need to reinstall the MS mouse software as well.

I think I originally went to the Lenovo stack since I also use a Voyager 510 bluetooth headset and I don't think the MS bluetooth stack supported a headset.

Can anyone help me get both the headset and mouse using the internal Bluetooth hardware.

Thanks,

Eric VN

AnandC

#10 Post by AnandC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:05 am

I've installed this thing and it works like a charm on the internal bluetooth. Its size takes a bit of getting used to, but I DID want something small.
Regarding questions about the internal bluetooth setup:
*I downloaded the updated Thinkpad Bluetooth w/ EDR software
*Uninstalled the old TP BT software
*Ran the new file I downloaded (7jba03ww.exe)
*Futzed around a bit b/c didn't realize you have to then run the setup.exe file that 7jba03ww.exe extracts
*Followed the MS instructions to install (and update) the Intellipoint software
* Turned on the mouse and activated the "discover" button on the bottom
*Opened "my Bluetooth Places" (in "My Computer") and clicked Bluetooth/Search for Devices
*When the mouse showed up, I double-clicked...
...and I was up and running.......
You'll want to add this mouse to the list of devices that are authorized to discover your computer - can set this in the "Bluetooth Configuration" window (accessed by right-clicking the bluetooth icon in the tray). Otherwise I found that I had to re-discover the mouse each time I turned it back on.
I have two quibbles. 1) The two odd little user-configurable buttons on either side of the mouse are poorly placed and thus totally useless in my view. 2) The clickwheel seems a bit too "free-wheeling" for my taste - I'd prefer some positive "clicks" as there were on my previous Logitech mouse.
But other than these, I've been really happy with the thing. I've used it for one lecture so far (just yesterday!), and it's a pretty decent presentation tool; the compromises made to accommodate its other role as a mouse are very reasonable. And it compares favorably with the Interlink presenter, which I've borrowed from a colleague in the past. As a mouse, it tracks responsively, thought those with large hands may find it a bit too small for comfort. When in "presenter" mode (and PowerPoint is not open) all I have to do is press "play" and iTunes opens up and starts playing tracks. I haven't tried the digital ink feature, nor am I particularly inclined to, so I can't comment on this.
I will have to see what happens if I suddenly decide to use this on someone else's computer using the dongle - I have a feeling I'll have to re-pair the bluetooth connection between the mouse and dongle.....
Sheesh, that was more than I planned to write. Ah well...
X60 17068DU