Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo USB Webcam

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
jonnybarry

Lenovo USB Webcam

#1 Post by jonnybarry » Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm

Anyone using the lenovo usb webcam with microsoft vista? I have spent a lot of time just getting the thing to work.

I noticed yesterday ibm posted drivers and software for vista. Oddly enough, I am unable to get the webcam working with these drivers. The only thing that has worked out has been setting the original driver install files to run as admin and for XP...

My real question is about the webcam center software -- the installation requires a serial number and I'm not sure what to put there. I've tried the s/n from my computer, webcam, model numbers etc... Anyone gotten this to work?

Here is a link to the files from ibm:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-66973

thanks!
-J

eKeith

#2 Post by eKeith » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm also waiting for Vista drivers (that work) for this webcam. And for the WebCenter software serial number.

I posted the request on the Lenovo website a week ago but there has been no update since...

jazzlover

Me too

#3 Post by jazzlover » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:20 pm

I found this thread when I googled this issue. Got a brand new Lenovo tower with Vista installed + webcam. The CD shipped with the webcam would not install the software or drivers. Downloaded the driver and software from the Lenovo support site for Vista. Installation of the driver went ok (but will know for sure once Lenovo Webcam Center is installed). Installation of Webcam Center will not accept the serial number from the webcam.
I called Lenovo Support, they said they'd call me back this week (I'll believe it when I see it, and post results here).

eKeith

#4 Post by eKeith » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:21 am

Thanks Jazzlover.... looking forward to the info...

orlay

#5 Post by orlay » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:27 pm

I couldn't get to work either...It asked me to provide the serial number, which I cannot find anywhere in the package. Any info that you guys find out will be appreciated.

Edited: Guys...I only installed the driver from the CD that comes with the camera, and hooked up the camera, and it's working. I used it with MSN, Yahoo, Skype, etc...so far so good. :-)

eKeith

#6 Post by eKeith » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:40 am

orlay wrote:...
Edited: Guys...I only installed the driver from the CD that comes with the camera, and hooked up the camera, and it's working. I used it with MSN, Yahoo, Skype, etc...so far so good. :-)
Cool! I installed the driver but didn't even try out the camera after the software installation failed. I will give it a go later tonight...

jazzlover

Success (partial)

#7 Post by jazzlover » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:58 pm

I successfully installed the drivers and software from the CD onto my laptop, which runs WIN 2K. I discovered that the serial number the software wants is located on the CD envelope, NOT the camera. The software also requires you to fill in name, company, and serial in order to install.
I then went back to the new Vista desktop and tried to install the (supposedly) Vista-compatible Webcam Center software I downloaded from Lenovo's support pages. It would not accept the serial number, and therefore would not install.
So I inserted the CD and installed the software for WIN XP/2K (ULead Photo Explorer 8.5). This version accepted the serial number.
One hitch I discovered is that Vista does not support the help files in Photo Explorer, had to download a patch from MS support. The help still returns an error message when you try to open it from the main program window, but at least I'm getting video from the camera.
The other unresolved issue I have is that I cannot get audio from the webcam's microphone. I have to wear a USB headset with a mic on it.
Think I'm going to shop around for a webcam that is supported better, and is compatible with Vista. ULead has no free software updates available to address this.

eKeith

#8 Post by eKeith » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:52 pm

I've noticed that Lenovo's website is no longer listing the WebCenter software for download, well at least on the USB WebCam support page.

jazzlover

#9 Post by jazzlover » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Similarly, I read at another forum that Lenovo has pulled the webcam altogether from its list of accessories for sale.

eKeith

#10 Post by eKeith » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:02 am

Had problems installing the Vista driver; apparently from previously trying the XP driver. I kept getting an error "The name is already in use as a service....". I had to find and delete all references to "Lenovo USB Webcam" in the current control set of the registry. The driver installation went smoothly after that. It tested correctly with Skype.

I also read that the WebCam Center software was a customized version of Intervideo's MediaOne software. So I downloaded the free Silver package and installed that. Haven't tried it as yet though.

PS
Lenovo has re-listed the webcam for sale...

shivaneswaran

#11 Post by shivaneswaran » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 pm

if you're using vista machine ! ur cam can work on msn or ym but u dun have a sw to use it, u can try using the picasa software which come with your preload, open picasa > click import > select your camera

if ur camera is not found in the list, go to lenovo.com/support download page and download webcam driver for winxp which will be compatible for win vista as well
Knowledge Is My Weapon

jazzlover

Not quite...

#12 Post by jazzlover » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 am

Please see my post above. This is the solution I implemented, and IMO it is NOT a wholly acceptable one.

eyecon82
Sophomore Member

#13 Post by eyecon82 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:48 pm

Can this be used for the built in webcam? not usb? Thanks

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#14 Post by ryengineer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:42 pm

eyecon82 wrote:Can this be used for the built in webcam? not usb? Thanks
I doubt it.
"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

mjmccoy

Still no help from Lenovo?

#15 Post by mjmccoy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:19 am

I, too, have purchased the Lenovo USB Webcam (40Y8519), and downloaded from Lenovo's site the current software. Like all the prior posts, none of the serial numbers work as one goes through registration (not the camera's, original CDROM, or T61p serial number work.

Has anyone heard back from Lenovo on resolution??

Thanks,

Mike

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#16 Post by ryengineer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:00 am

If by software you mean Ulead Photo Explorer then I don't think it's free, a trialware perhaps.
"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

jazzlover

Re: Still no help from Lenovo?

#17 Post by jazzlover » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:40 pm

mjmccoy wrote:...Has anyone heard back from Lenovo on resolution??
Nope. I recommend that you return the webcam for refund and buy something at a bricks and mortar outlet. At least then if you have issues you can deal with a human being.

mjmccoy

Lenovo software for USB Webcam (40Y8519)

#18 Post by mjmccoy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:15 pm

ryengineer: No, the software is described by Lenovo as: "Lenovo USB Webcam software application for Windows Vista, XP, and 2000"; it is purported to be an OEM version of InterVideo's MediaOne Gallery, and not "Trial-ware".

Despite the description by Lenovo in the site (www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-66973), it is as the other posters have described: non-functional under Vista.

It is a shame that Lenovo is not checking to see that what it posts officially is wrong or nonfunctional.

Mike

mjmccoy

Lenovo software for USB Webcam (40Y8519) NOT Vista capable

#19 Post by mjmccoy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:01 pm

After escalation, I have been informed that the OEM software (MediaOneGallery, from InterVideo - now Corel) listed on Lenovo's web site incorrectly states that the software is Vista compatible.

It is NOT.

Lenovo will be changing the web site to reflect that. The license key that is needed for the Vista product was never provided, and thus will never install.

The Webcam USB drivers, however, DO WORK. So it is possible to use the camera with Skype (for sure), and most likely with other programs. It does not, however, show as an installed camera under the Control Panel of Vista.

Hope this helps!

Mike

jazzlover

Thanks...

#20 Post by jazzlover » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57 pm

...for keeping at them, and making them post accurate info.
I was called to participate in a survey, and when asked informed the surveyor that I would under no circumstances recommend Lenovo products to anyone.

mjmccoy

Success! Lenovo now will provide license key for Vista

#21 Post by mjmccoy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Good new: Lenovo has responded, and it is now possible to get the OEM software (Lenovo Web Cam Center by InterVideo, aka MediaOneGallery) to run on Vista.

One must call the Help Center, and reference an IBM/Lenovo Internal Confidential Document (MIGR-68464) to get the valid license key.

I have now installed the software, and it does work under 64-bit Vista (as a 32-bit program).

Thanks to Lenovo for stepping up on this. (Note: it may take a couple of days for the document referenced above to be linked to the USB Webcam site, so be sure to refer to the MIGR document #).

Cheers!

eKeith

#22 Post by eKeith » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:39 am

Nice work mj!
Please let us know what you think of the customized software...

PS
Which number did you call? Is it 1-800-426-7378?