Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to Adjust LCD Brightness Levels - T42

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
chrisnyc
Freshman Member

How to Adjust LCD Brightness Levels - T42

#1 Post by chrisnyc » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:31 pm

I'd like some help with how to access and adjust LCD brightness levels on my T42. I understand there are a number of different levels.

What exactly are the default settings, which is what I'm using. Does the default setting give you the highest level using A/C power? I know the screen dims on battery, and that I can go into "Access IBM", where there is only one adjustment for brightness on battery (normal or high) ; there's no adjustment for when notebook is plugged in.

I see the keyboard arrows (up on the Home key and down on the End key), for adjusting brightness, but I'm looking for a settings panel that tells me what setting I'm on and allows me to change it, which I can't find.

Thanks for any assistance with this.

Brad
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#2 Post by Brad » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:05 pm

If you are using Windows XP there is an applet called Power Manager. If you have a battery installed look to the left of the clock in the lower right hand corner. There should be a green image with a percentage displayed. Double click on this. This should bring up this applet. From there should be all the settings you need.

Brad
Long Island New York
T43p 2669-Q1U, A22p's UTU A21p HXU
Transnote, 770's 8AU, 600, 701CS, 755CD

GomJabbar

#3 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:07 pm

Actually, for the T42, that would be Battery MaxiMiser, not Power Manager (normally). Nevertheless, the procedure to access is basically the same. Left-click on the green battery icon and choose to View Scheme Settings. When the box opens up it will show you the battery settings for the Scheme you are currently using. Click on the little AC Plug icon on the lower right, then you will see the current settings for AC power. You can choose different built-in schemes as well as create some of your own. Launch Battery MaxiMiser Wizard to create a new scheme.

If you do not see the green battery icon, go to Start > All Programs > Access IBM > Battery MaxiMiser Wizard. When you launch the wizard, there is a page with a checkbox for putting the battery icon in the system tray.
DKB

chrisnyc
Freshman Member

#4 Post by chrisnyc » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:44 am

Thanks GomJabbar, I located and checked out the Battery MaxiMiser. But I'm still at a loss to figure the level of my screen brightness while on A/C power. Is the default setting the highest level? There doesn't seem to be a place to view or change screen brightness levels while plugged in and on A/C power.

Thanks for any additional information you can provide on this.
Chris.

GomJabbar

#5 Post by GomJabbar » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:40 am

I wrote:Left-click on the green battery icon and choose to View Scheme Settings. When the box opens up it will show you the battery settings for the Scheme you are currently using. Click on the little AC Plug icon on the lower right, then you will see the current settings for AC power.
On that dialog box, there are 2 small icons, side by side on the bottom right - these icons are battery on the left and AC plug on the right. The left icon is for the battery settings and that is what is what is displayed when you first open "View Scheme Settings". Click on the small AC plug icon on the right to see the AC settings. Click on the small battery icon on the left to see the battery settings again. When you create a Scheme in Battery MaxiMiser, you can adjust all the settings for when on AC power as well as when on battery power.
DKB

gator
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#6 Post by gator » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:10 pm

Fn+Home/End will increase/decrease up the on-screen display for brightness. There are 7 levels and you can see what level you are at.
Now: T60 2613-EKU | T23 2647-9NU | 600X 2645-9FU | HP 100LX
Past: X31 2673-Y13 | T41 2374-3HU | T22 2647-AEU

Rules of the road :thumbs-UP:

chrisnyc
Freshman Member

#7 Post by chrisnyc » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks again GomJabbar, I was able to locate that screen and will be able to create a custom scheme if I need to do so.

I'm actually perfectly satisfied with the default settings and schemes available.

And thanks also Gator -- that was very helpful and is actually what I was looking for, how to see what level I'm on. I pressed Fn-Home, and green bars showed on the bottom of the screen, showing I was on level 7, the maximum, which is right where I want to be.

Thanks again to everyone who posted and helped. There's so much information and flexibility available with a Thinkpad, if only you know how to access it. I did actually look through the T42 documentation available from Lenovo before posting here, but was not able to access the information you guys were able to provide.

Chris