Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X60 tablet pen not working?

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
dwfx

X60 tablet pen not working?

#1 Post by dwfx » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:30 pm

I have an X-60 tablet and my tablet pen has stopped working.

When I booted up the computer it wasn't working. I logged in and was presented with an "Add New Hardware" dialogue which was unable to find any drivers, but which referred me to the wacom multitouch tablet driver :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-67220

I don't have the multitouch screen but was unable to find another driver. According to the device manager, "Wacom Serial Pen Tablet" is installed and working properly.

Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else run into this? Is it possibly a software/driver problem or does it sound like a hardware problem?

Thanks.

Update:

Spoke with Lenovo technical support and after trying a system restore they still think it's a software problem and recommended reinstalling the OS from scratch. Obviously that's a huge pain in the butt and I'd prefer not to have to do that, but I will if there's no other choice. I can send the laptop into Lenovo support but if it's not a hardware problem they're just going to ship it back to me.

Any suggestions?

zaimek

#2 Post by zaimek » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am

Check if your pen is OK (either on some other tablet or with the rubber end on your own).

Try installing Wacom drivers ( http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver.cfm ) and install them. If this doesnt work, than, well, I guess ull have to do a factory resotre to check if your digitizer is broken or if it is a softwere issue after all.

dwfx

#3 Post by dwfx » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:17 pm

I've tried installing the Wacom drivers but still no luck... I have found that there is a driver now in the HID section of the Device Manager that is unable to start. Someone who has a (working) tablet, can you please post what you have listed under "Human Interface Devices" in the Device Manager?

Kurow

#4 Post by Kurow » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:33 pm

zaimek

#5 Post by zaimek » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:39 pm

Did u try the factory restore? Now that i think of it, I had a similar issue with my previous tpc (though it was on XP and not a ThinkPad).

dwfx

#6 Post by dwfx » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 am

I'm planning on trying the system restore next but am waiting for a new external hard drive I can use to back up my data (my existing one doesn't have enough space left for everything).

The latest update... The "Wacom Penabled Dual Touch" icon in the Human Interface Devices in the Device Manager is disabled and I get the error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". The drivers are all up to date.

Hopefully a clean restore will do the trick, otherwise I'll have to send the tablet in to Lenovo (again) and have them check the hardware...

dwfx

#7 Post by dwfx » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:19 pm

Here's the resolution to this problem (sort of)...

Kept debugging the tablet pen problem while I waited for my external backup hard drive to arrive. I spoke with Wacom support and Lenovo support, tried different drivers, uninstalling & reinstalling multiple times but nothing worked. Meanwhile, before I got to use the backup drive the tablet stopped booting completely! When I turned it on it never even showed the "Lenovo" BIOS screen or accessed the hard drive.

I relocated the hard drive to another computer and it worked fine there so I was clearly having system hardware problems.

I sent the computer into Lenovo service and just got it back today (was a two-week repair since they were waiting for parts). They replaced the motherboard, LCD connector and a bunch of other components and everything is working fine again. I'm fairly sure the original problem was with the system hardware, and not a software/driver issue.

Thanks for the help everyone.