Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

removing Lenovo branding

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
foob

removing Lenovo branding

#1 Post by foob » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Hi guys
How do I remove Lenovo branding from:

1) Help and Support
2) Welcome Screen
3) Computer Properties screen (Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System)
4) sidebar

I have in fact disabled the sidebar and welcome screen as well as a whole bunch of bling effects and services, but unsure how to get rid of all traces of branding and "offers" from the machine should they be enabled back again in the future.

...and anywhere else Lenovo branding might be that I haven't noticed.

System:
Vista Home basic on Lenovo 3000 C200 (which i love, btw).

Appreciate the help.

Katch
Freshman Member

#2 Post by Katch » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:26 pm

Most of that branding is contained in modified Windows XP system files that are protected by Windows File Protection.

In short it's very difficult to modify them from an installed system. If you really want to get rid of it all your best bet is to download a copy of XP Home from somewhere and do a clean install using your product key from the bottom of the Laptop.

A word of warning though - the Audio drivers on Lenovo's website aren't complete. When I did a clean install on a C200 a few months ago it took me a lot of searching and reading to work out what the missing component was and where to find it. Wish I could tell you exactly what it was but I haven't played with that Laptop since and the driver disk I made for it went with it to its owner.
Thinkpad T23 - 1.2 GHz 768 Mb - 40Gb 5200rpm --- Lenovo C100 2GHz - 2GB - 160GB