Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T61; Blinking battery light; No longer works off battery

T60/T61 Series
BradS
Freshman Member

T61; Blinking battery light; No longer works off battery

#1 Post by BradS » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Came home to my T61 on Sunday night noticed the battery light was blinking orange. I opened the lid and everything started fine. When I took the laptop off of batter, the computer shut down and all the lights shut off. Its acting like there isn't a fully charged battery pluged in, yet vista is showing a 100% fully charged battery.

Anyone one have any ideas on this one?

lighthammer

#2 Post by lighthammer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Unplug the power cord from the laptop. Take out the battery and hold the power button for around 5 seconds to discharge anything in the laptop. Put the battery back in and plug the power cord back into the laptop.

See if that makes any difference and let us know what the progress is.

richk

#3 Post by richk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Start it plugged in and check the status by starting the power application (the plug icon in the tray) of see what the battery symbol says when you hover the mouse pointer over it.

BradS
Freshman Member

#4 Post by BradS » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 pm

lighthammer wrote:Unplug the power cord from the laptop. Take out the battery and hold the power button for around 5 seconds to discharge anything in the laptop. Put the battery back in and plug the power cord back into the laptop.

See if that makes any difference and let us know what the progress is.
Nothing changed. Still runs off the power chord, but trying to get it to run off battery causes the laptop to shut off, the indicator lights are also lost after disconnecting the battery
richk wrote:Start it plugged in and check the status by starting the power application (the plug icon in the tray) of see what the battery symbol says when you hover the mouse pointer over it.
It says its 100% charged.

gator
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#5 Post by gator » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 pm

Double click on the battery meter and go to the battery information tab. Look at the battery details panel and see what the program reports for full charge capacity (as compared to design capacity). See if the battery condition is listed as 'good' with a green + symbol on the left panel.

I am guessing that one of the cells in your battery pack is dead .. if that is true you will see a reduced full charge capacity and a yellow or red battery condition icon.
Now: T60 2613-EKU | T23 2647-9NU | 600X 2645-9FU | HP 100LX
Past: X31 2673-Y13 | T41 2374-3HU | T22 2647-AEU

Rules of the road :thumbs-UP:

syedj

#6 Post by syedj » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 pm

If your T61 is less than a year old than the battery is still in warranty. If that's the case, I would suggest giving Lenovo a call and get a replacement battery under warranty.
“Long you live and high you'll fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.”

BradS
Freshman Member

#7 Post by BradS » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:32 pm

gator wrote:Double click on the battery meter and go to the battery information tab. Look at the battery details panel and see what the program reports for full charge capacity (as compared to design capacity). See if the battery condition is listed as 'good' with a green + symbol on the left panel.

I am guessing that one of the cells in your battery pack is dead .. if that is true you will see a reduced full charge capacity and a yellow or red battery condition icon.
I see. I no longer have any of the lenovo software installed on this computer, and that includes the battery meter. I'll try reinstalling that tomorrow to see what it can tell me.

Thanks for your help.

Mark@Lenovo
ThinkPad Partner
ThinkPad Partner

#8 Post by Mark@Lenovo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:10 pm

BradS,

If you find that after re-installing the Lenovo power management applications that you get an irrepairable battery message, you might try visiting this site http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-67765

This could potentially provide coverage beyond the 1 year if your battery were affected.

Mark

gator
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#9 Post by gator » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:25 pm

Mark@Lenovo wrote:This could potentially provide coverage beyond the 1 year if your battery were affected.
Mark, the FAQ (#9) in that link has this to say:
The age of the battery must be no more than 6 months past the expiration date of the battery warranty.
I lost my battery with the same error message in Jan '08 (T60 bought in Aug 06) and had to get a battery elsewhere since it was not under recall. The program in the link you mention did not recognize my battery as being eligible for replacement. Thankfully, I was able to get a slightly used battery from a very helpful forum member at an affordable price, and I took it up.

I am not complaining; batteries do die out occasionally. Just trying to point out that not all battery failures are covered by the replacement program ...
Now: T60 2613-EKU | T23 2647-9NU | 600X 2645-9FU | HP 100LX
Past: X31 2673-Y13 | T41 2374-3HU | T22 2647-AEU

Rules of the road :thumbs-UP: