Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Replacement battery not recognized, not charging

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
Casals

Replacement battery not recognized, not charging

#1 Post by Casals » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am

T22 2647-8EU, WinXP SP3

Just got a replacement battery from Kahlon. It isn't recognized by any of the software (Battery Miser is greyed out, battery information reports ERROR) and doesn't charge, the battery light on the hinge blinks yellow and doesn't change (even after several hours). The old battery (says IBM on it) doesn't hold a charge at all, but it was recognized by the software, and the software thought it was charging (it would go from 97% back up to 99%, but that 99% would hold the machine for 10 seconds, tops).

I tried swapping the old one back in, it continues to be recognized. One post suggested taking out the battery and disconnecting power, and holding the power button for 10 second, tried that, no luck. Another post said to disable all the BIOS power settings -- not sure what to disable?

virge

Re: Replacement battery not recognized, not charging

#2 Post by virge » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:55 am

Sounds like you have a bad battery. Since you just got it, Kahlon should be willing to replace it. Was it a new, old stock battery?

Edit: Didn't know about the inductor issue pointed out by nikki605. There's some good info in that link.
Last edited by virge on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Thinkpads: 600E, 600X, 701C, A31 (Flexview), R51 (Flexview), R60, T42P (Flexview), TR50E, T60 (Flexview), X61s (Ultralight), Z61m (Ti) Non-Thinkpad: Toshiba 100ct

nikki605

#3 Post by nikki605 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 pm

You may want to check the inductors as described in this topic:

:arrow: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62499
Gary A.

lenovo: T490 (20N20028US) | i7-8565U | 16GB | 512GB SSD | FHD LED | WiFi 9560 | Bluetooth | Webcam | Win10 Pro x64 | Full System Specs

Casals

#4 Post by Casals » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Kahlon will take the battery back (they had a couple of suggestions [put in the battery with WinXP up; and upgrade BIOS] which didn't help).

I've read through the thread on the inductor problem. Um, I know what a soldering iron is, and I even own one, but I can't say I've ever used one with any much success. So I'm wondering whether I should even try to take the machine apart. (It's a machine for my son at college, we might give up on the T22 and get him one of those netbooks instead.) I do have the IBM hardware maintenance guide, which makes it look reasonably simple, although a rather lengthy process.

nikki605

#5 Post by nikki605 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Is Kahlon going to swap the battery or just refund your money? If they are sending you another battery, you might just wait and try the "new" battery to see if it works.

As far as taking the TP apart, it all depends on how comfortable you feel about doing it. I had never taken my T21 apart until a few years ago when I ran into a problem. Since that time, with the help of the folks here, I've taken it apart several times, replaced a motherboard, upgraded the CPU and installed a new fan/heatsink assembly.

I would recommend downloading a copy of the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your model. It really helps with step by step instructions on how to take it apart and put it back together. You just have to keep the screws in the right place.

Download the HMM here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... UYM3F.html
Gary A.

lenovo: T490 (20N20028US) | i7-8565U | 16GB | 512GB SSD | FHD LED | WiFi 9560 | Bluetooth | Webcam | Win10 Pro x64 | Full System Specs

richp
Freshman Member

#6 Post by richp » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:05 am

One suggestion when taking it apart, take a piece of thick cardboard and punch matching holes in the cardboard to match the holes in the base, put screws in as you remove them. Once you remove the keyboard use another piece of thick cardboard, draw the top outline and again, punch matching holes in it and put the screws in as you take them out. I took my daughters T42 apart and did not do this, after replacing the power plug I reassembled, 8 extra screws, disassembled and reassembled, down to 4, did it again, twice, and still down to 4, dam if I can figure out where they go. Upside is I'm getting really fast taking a T42 apart and putting it back together.
I alway try to go that extra mile at work, problem is the boss always finds me and brings me back

Casals

#7 Post by Casals » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks again for all your help. The battery is still on backorder at Kahlon, so we gave up and bought a refurbished T43. As the T22 still runs fine on the ac adapter, I'm not going to take it apart (not now, at any rate).