Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows 7 RC on T41

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Windows 7 RC on T41

#1 Post by dsvochak » Wed May 13, 2009 1:49 pm

Win 7 on a T41 2373-7FU, 2gb ram, 40g Hitachi 5k100.

Installation and setup, in general, goes well. There are some devices not found or mis-identified:

Not found:
Audio
Thinkpad PM
Infrared
Thinkpad Display
Intel 2200bg Wireless

Mis-identified:
Display is installed as "Standard VGA adaptor"

The Lenovo T41 Intel 2200bg driver installs and works fine. Windows update finds and installs audio, thinkpad pm, infrared and thinkpad display.

Attempting to install the Display driver using Setup generates errors. It will install, but Windows 7 doesn't like the ATI control panel or the mode change service. The Lenovo driver for W2k/XP, however, does install without a problem. (Device Manager-->Display-->Standard VGA-->Update Driver Software-->Browse for Driver. Navigate to C:\Drivers\Win\Display\Driver\2KXP_INF\ and let Win7 install driver.) Display is now identified as "ATI Mobility Radeon 7500". Graphic score goes from 1.0 to 1.9 while Gaming Graphic remains 1.0.

On-Screen Display: Lenovo System interface driver installs with no problem. Hotkey driver installs, but OSD doesn't work unless TPOSDSVC.exe is copied to the Startup folder. Reboot and sound, thinklight and screen brightness on-screen displays work fine.

BatteryMax installs and runs. Fn-F12 and Fn-F4 work without BatteryMax installed. Fn-F5 works sporadically when BatteryMax is running. Fn-F3 does not turn off the monitor whether or not BatteryMax is installed.

Lenovo System Toolbox installs and runs pretty well. Diagnostics and Tools does complain about not being able to find the "DiskDefragmentationGui". Other than the complaint, the software runs fine.

All the software I was using with XP installs and runs on Win7. Some software appears to install and a screen pops up indicating it may not have properly installed. One of the options is "Reinstall using recommended settings". This re-runs the install and has worked for me. Some software will either not run or won't properly install running the "autorun.exe". If that occurs, running setup has worked. Software that works:

Microsoft Office 2003
Word Perfect Office 11
Lotus SmartSuite 97
Quicken 2001
ScanSoft Paperport 11
PDFill PDF Editor 6.0
Time Matters 4.0
RealLegal E-Transcript Viewer 8.3
MarginSoft Support 2009 Michigan
Adobe Reader 8.1.3
FileSync 2.18
CCleaner
Defraggler
Avira AntiVir
Acronis True Image Home 10.0
PrintDeskTop
Eraser 5.86.1

The Vista driver for a Canon Lide 20 installs and runs as does the Vista CanoScan Toolbox 4.1.

TPFanControl 0.53 installs and runs. It will run as a startup app. NHC Version 2.0 Pre-Release-06 installs and runs fine but will not run at startup.

Generally, Win7 seems to be running at least as well as XP. Updates on this when something noteworthy occurs.
I used to be an anarchist but I quit because there were too many rules

sojourner

Re: Windows 7 RC on T41

#2 Post by sojourner » Wed May 20, 2009 8:11 am

dsvochak, I too use a T41 with Win7 RC1. Also use NHC and it runs at startup just fine. Are you using the STARTUP folder to launch or the registry entry?

Also re: NHC, it seems to act a little funny but don't have a handle on it yet. Sometimes I check CPU voltages (NHC is set to control them) and sometimes the voltages look like NHC is in fact controlling them, other times voltages seem to be factory defaults (higher than NHC settings). So don't know what's happening there!

Lastly re: NHC, noticed the taskbar popup menu to select CPU switching does not work. The processor stays in dynamic switch mode (which works well). But this morning for example, went to benchmark various items and set CPU switching to MAX performance. Won't accept it (even though NHC accepts the 'tic' for MAX performance), CPU stays at 600MHZ until something demands more CPU power.
IBM Thinkpad T41 Home | X31 Travel | X60 fun
2GHz Dothan (X60 C2D, X31 1.7 Banias), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD Multi-Burner, IBM 11b/g, Bluetooth II, Docks
multi-boot (98SE, W2K, XP PRO, Win7, Linux Mint 10)

dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by dsvochak » Wed May 20, 2009 9:40 am

I should have updated this.

Setting UAC to "never notify" and putting NHC in the Startup folder allows it to run at startup. I’ve got the same issue regarding switching power plants. It appears that, regardless of settings in NHC (including the CPU speed control tab option to check “Only NHC is allowed to change the power plan”) Windows 7 power options is controlling. The upside is the NHC & BatteryMax power plan options are shown as available additional plans in Windows 7 power options.

Thus far I’m really impressed with how well Windows 7 runs on a T41. It’s getting to the point the machine is noticeably more responsive than it was with XP. If someone provided a T41 Windows 7 BatteryMax/Power Manager I’d probably buy a copy of the official Windows 7 for this machine.

sojourner

#4 Post by sojourner » Wed May 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Forgot to mention the need to set UAC to "never notify", glad you found it. Btw, you can remove NHC from the startup folder and use its (NHC's) option to start automatically. It puts a command in the registry.

On a different topic, you mentioned BatteryMax/Power Manager software. I've seen this mentioned occasionally in the forums but being primarily an AC user, don't pay a LOT of attention to battery operation. Is this software you mention the same Power Management software on Lenovo's site for the T41 or is BatteryMax something different? If it's the standard PowerManagement, have you tried installing and find it doesn't work or doesn't install? Lastly, do you really see a BIG improvement in battery life using this software as opposed to letting the OS power management work?

--

As for Win7, many such as yourself, have found their initial impression to be good. I have had mixed thoughts about features and LACK of features (or REMOVED features, or significantly CHANGED features) but have an initial good overall impression because of a performance boost (snappier app launches) over XP. Albeit, I have found while most common tasks appear to launch quicker some apps are slower to launch than XP, and I've wondered what W7 will act like once the registry double or tripples in size and becomes more like a typical aged XP setup! As far as responsiveness IN an apps, have not noticed significant improvement or degradation. Currently I believe MS smartened up a bit over the Vista lemming and should expect good sales with Win7 (being they stay on the same track) and I too may likely buy it. (BTW, for those interested, W7 even does well on my X31, 1.7Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 5400 RPM HDD)
IBM Thinkpad T41 Home | X31 Travel | X60 fun
2GHz Dothan (X60 C2D, X31 1.7 Banias), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD Multi-Burner, IBM 11b/g, Bluetooth II, Docks
multi-boot (98SE, W2K, XP PRO, Win7, Linux Mint 10)

dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by dsvochak » Mon May 25, 2009 2:42 pm

BatteryMax is in addition to the standard power management. It provides support for Fn-F3 turning off the display, additional power settings and detailed information on the battery (cycle count, first used date, design and remaining capacity, battery health, etc).

As I said, Fn-F3 isn’t working in Windows 7. It’s been a long time, but I think BatteryMax was needed to enable Fn-F3 in XP. I used the function a lot and not being able to get it to work is disconcerting.

My reference to Power Manager relates to the improved BatteryMax software that runs on T42’s and later machines. Power Manager provides options not available with BatteryMax. For example, battery charging thresholds and an “adaptive” power setting similar to that provided by NHC.

If Lenovo provides a Power Manager utility tor Windows 7 that runs on machines that have to use BatteryMax today I’d be overjoyed.

The thing I’m most impressed with by Windows 7 is what seems to be greatly improved memory management/multi-tasking than that in XP. In XP it was easy to “bog down” and create a significant lag before a program or file would open. Thus far, I’ve been unable to create the effect with Windows 7.

cwsolie

#6 Post by cwsolie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm

I also installed W7RC on a T41, but found that playback of a DVD would completely lock the system up. Changing hardware acceleration slider to the second from left (disable DirectDraw and Direct3d) stopped the lock up, but playback is a little choppy.

When i look up the driver matrix for T41 at lenovo, it states that the video drivers for Vista are included with the Vista OS. Has anyone figured out if the Vista drivers work better and how to install them? Or has anyone upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and had DVD playback work with hardware acceleration?

Hardware acceleration settings:
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution -> Advanced settings -> troubleshoot -> Hardware acceleration

tobiasfuenke

#7 Post by tobiasfuenke » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I also have a Thinkpad T41 , type 2373-7FU and I'm having a bit of trouble with Windows 7 Ultimate. After installation, the following devices appear as 'Other devices' which don't have drivers attached to them:

- Multimedia Audio Controller
- Network Controller
- Unknown device
- Unknown device

Of these four, the one I'm most concerned with is the Network Controller, since this looks like it's the WiFi device. W7 recognizes the Intel (R) PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection network device, which would appear to be the wired connection.

I've downloaded the 'Intel Wireless LAN (11bgn) for Windows 7 - ThinkPad' driver from Lenovo's site (driver date is Oct 16 2009) and I'm able to run the installer without any apparent errors. It runs through one phase of the installer, then prompts me and asks to install the 'Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn' , which I confirm, and another installer appears. It runs, doesn't give me any error messages and tells me that the installation was successful. It doesn't prompt me to reboot, and there's still a Network device listed under 'Other devices'. If I reboot, this device stays there and it I don't have a wireless device recognized by W7.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Windows 7, so I'm a bit lost. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by bill bolton » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:47 pm

tobiasfuenke wrote:LAN (11bgn) for Windows 7 - ThinkPad' driver from Lenovo's site (driver date is Oct 16 2009)
I'm not in a position to look up that driver right now...... but I think you will find that the Intel mini PCI format WiFi cards (2xxxx series) are not supported by that driver, and only the Intel mini PCI-X format WiFi cards (3/4/5xxxx series) are supported.

Cheers,

Bill B.

tobiasfuenke

#9 Post by tobiasfuenke » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 pm

bill bolton wrote: I'm not in a position to look up that driver right now...... but I think you will find that the Intel mini PCI format WiFi cards (2xxxx series) are not supported by that driver, and only the Intel mini PCI-X format WiFi cards (3/4/5xxxx series) are supported.

Cheers,

Bill B.

I took a closer look at the readme for that driver, and what you've said looks to be correct:
Lenovo readme wrote: Support devices Intel WiFi Link 1000
Intel WiFi Link 5100
Intel WiFi Link 5300
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
So I guess my next step will be to determine exactly which wireless controller is installed in this T41 and try and hunt down a driver for it. Determining exactly which controller could be a bit tough (I bought this laptop second-hand, so I have zero documentation/CDs), but I'll see what I can figure out.

Also, the Lenovo website doesn't mention anything about a video or audio driver. Does anyone happen to know what video & audio chips are used in these T41s? It's too bad that wireless networking, audio and video are the devices that aren't recognized by W7 out of the box :(

GomJabbar

#10 Post by GomJabbar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:11 pm

If you set up an wired ethernet connection and go to Windows Update, there is a good chance it will find the drivers you need.
DKB

tobiasfuenke

#11 Post by tobiasfuenke » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 pm

GomJabbar wrote:If you set up an wired ethernet connection and go to Windows Update, there is a good chance it will find the drivers you need.
A bit of digging & a live Linux CD says that this wifi controller is an 'Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3b' and I was able to find a driver for this on Lenovo's site. It didn't specifically list Vista or W7 as being supported, so I'll have to cross my fingers and give it a whirl.

The graphics chip is detected as an ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500], and given ATI's history of stellar drivers, I'm not holding my breath for anything better than the standard VGA driver provided by W7. Eh. It's obviously not a gaming laptop or anything, so I can probably make due with that.

The audio chip is detected as an Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM , which I didn't find much for via google. Hopefully if I can get the wireless network to play nicely Windows Update will be able to pick up some generic audio driver.

Thanks for your help guys, it's much appreciated.

lifrancis
Freshman Member

#12 Post by lifrancis » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:35 pm

I went through the same thing a couple of months ago and finally found the video driver that worked. See this:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=77964

My final decision is not to install Win 7 on my T41. The ATI video just does not have enough power to drive Aero. Without the eye candies, there is really nothing to gain in switching from XP to Win 7.
T30 (2366-86U): 2.0GHz, 1.25 GB mem, 100 GB HD, DVD RW, Broadcom b/g wifi, Win XP/Ubuntu
T41 (2373-155): upgraded to 1.8GHz, 1.5 GB mem, 100 GB HD, DVD RW, Atheros 108 super G, Win XP/Ubuntu
T60 (2007-68U):2.0GHz, 2.5GB mem, 500 GB HD, DVD RW, intel abg wifi, Win 7/Ubuntu