Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T410 keyboard typing issue - response delay / out of order

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
masterbeat

T410 keyboard typing issue - response delay / out of order

#1 Post by masterbeat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Just received a new T410 and at first loved it and the slightly redesigned keyboard - feels just as good to type on - however I'm getting some serious problems with typing where keys are coming in the wrong order or not at all. Now, I type FAST. And I rarely have typos. They keyboard (or could it be the OS?) just isn't keeping up or is putting the keys in the wrong order repeatedly. I typed this paragraph at a slightly slower speed than normal and I'm still having to backtrack to correct typos. I can type the exact same paragraphs on my old T400 (haven't sold it yet) and there is no problem typing as fast as I can go - everything comes in perfectly. Here is an example:

wea re giong to ahve some serious problems witht his keyboadr. <- typed at my normal speed
we are going to have some serious problems with this keyboard. <- typed slow as hell to avoid errors.

It's like the keyboard or OS aren't liking keys that i type fast together. I've retyped the same thing over and over to make sure i'm definitely hitting keys in the right order, but they keep coming in out of order. It's driving me CRAZY - I can't type this slow.

Any ideas on what is causing the problem? Hardware? Software? This thing is BRAND new and nothing else is running. ARGH!

Anyone else experienced this on ANY Thinkpad? I've never had this happen before.

archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: T410 keyboard typing issue - response delay / out of order

#2 Post by archer6 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Does the keyboard feel solid, rigid and secure? Or does it give, or flex when you press down on the keys? Is your keyboard secure and not loose?
I'm wondering if its registering your key strokes? Especially since you've been careful to insure its not mistakes on your part. It should certainly be able to keep up with you as your T400 does. I know that there is a lot of "give" in the keyboard of my T500, thus I must type more deliberately. I've got a new T510 arriving in two days, and quite frankly this whole keyboard mess of late, has me concerned. We've never had this type, or as many complaints about poor keyboards on ThinkPads till recent times. A very discouraging sign.
Favorites From My ThinkPad Collection

Workstations... T40p ~ T41p ~ T42p ~ T43p ~ T60p ~ T61p ~ W500 ~ W510
T Series..... T22 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 41 ~ 42 ~ 43 ~ 60 ~ 400 ~ 500 ~ 510
X Series..... X20 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 60 ~ 60s ~ 200 ~ 200s ~ 301
Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12

masterbeat

#3 Post by masterbeat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Yes, the keyboard does seem to register all the keystrokes, the problem is they mostly appear out of order - like it's registering them in the wrong order. I'm not noticing any flex - the keyboard seems a LOT more solid than the keyboard on my T400, yet the T400 has no issues. It's driving me crazy. I guess I'll call support - thank god I always order the NBD on-site so I can just have someone come out to check it out.

If anyone else has noticed this strange behaviour, I'd love to haer. <- there it goes again. lol.

craigmontHunter

#4 Post by craigmontHunter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Both laptop mag.com and the review at thinkpads.com have noticed this. May be a BIOS/firmware issue.
Elitebook 8440p, i5 520, 8gb, Samsung 840 SSD
Old/Not Working/Dead Laptops:
T61 7661CC2, 4gb, Windows 7 x64, 240gb intel SSD, 500gb Ultrabay drive
Toshiba Portege 7020ct
Thinkpad T41 23737FU
Dell Latitude LS

killer
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by killer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:09 pm

When working for IBM as a computer operator in the late 1960s/ early 1970s it was common practice on a night shift for someone to lift the keys tops off the keyboard and swap them around so that what we typed was complete rubbish. :lol:

It was good for a grin, but not very productive. :roll:
T540p Win 7 Pro 64

X1 Carbon Win 7 Pro 64 for my wife.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Dogs must be carried on the escalator. Where can I find a dog?

JLEN191

#6 Post by JLEN191 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:21 am

That is not good to hear at all. Sounds like a delay from certain keys. It might be bios, windows 7 driver issue, or a hardware issue. Hope its not a hardware issue. Actually if it were the keyboard itself, that would be an easy fix, but that is most likely not the problem.