Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
pgoelz

Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

#1 Post by pgoelz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 am

I have an X61s running VIsta Ultimate. It has all the drivers and updates that are available from Lenovo except the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Whenever I use system update, it offers that update but when I try to research whether or not I need it I can't determine what (if any) benefit it might be so I've been holding off. The machine works flawlessly right now.... is there a reason to install the Matric Storage Manager?

Can someone outline what the storage manager does and what (if any) benefit there is to install it? I have had some bad experiences with Lenovo system updates, so I'm just a bit gunshy about installing something as (apparently) basic to the machine as this is.

TIA
Paul
Paul Goelz
www.pgoelz.com
Rochester MI USA

sojourner

Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

#2 Post by sojourner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 am

pgoelz wrote:I have an X61s running VIsta Ultimate. It has all the drivers and updates that are available from Lenovo except the Intel Matrix Storage Manager ...The machine works flawlessly right now.... is there a reason to install the Matric Storage Manager?

Can someone outline what the storage manager does and what (if any) benefit there is to install it? I have had some bad experiences with Lenovo system updates, so I'm just a bit gunshy about installing something as (apparently) basic to the machine as this is.
You are being prompted to update the driver for your SATA Hard Drive.
see http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... ldID=17882

Being your system works 'flawlessly' there is no reason to update the driver. On the other hand, the new driver may perform even better than the current. If you update and it doesn't perform as well, you should be able to roll-back to the current driver.

Lastly, you are considering changing a CRITICAL driver; the worse case senario is your system may blue screen and fail to boot (I've had it happen changing HDD drivers)!!

Your choice!
IBM Thinkpad T41 Home | X31 Travel | X60 fun
2GHz Dothan (X60 C2D, X31 1.7 Banias), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD Multi-Burner, IBM 11b/g, Bluetooth II, Docks
multi-boot (98SE, W2K, XP PRO, Win7, Linux Mint 10)

pgoelz

Re: Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

#3 Post by pgoelz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:27 am

Thanks for that. The description in the readme file made it sound like it was a lot more than just an update to my HD driver and I've been avoiding downloading it.

I went ahead and did the update, and also installed an update to power manager. All went OK but I could swear that my screen is brighter after the update. At minimum brightness it seems about the same as always. But at maximum brightness I can get a mild suntan. I don't think it was that bright before.

Paul
Paul Goelz
www.pgoelz.com
Rochester MI USA