Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

XP Install hang-up

T20-T23 Series and T30. NOT for T25-Retro.
kengeo

XP Install hang-up

#1 Post by kengeo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:38 am

I have a T21 with XP Pro. When I first installed it, I upped the memory & the bios, its ran no probs for about 5 years, but lately it started 'hanging' so I decided to reinstall XP. During the install, which included formatting, everything went o.k. until it got to 'Installing devices' 29 minutes to finish' it showed a progress bar & the time decreased, but when it got to 25 mins. it hung & I had to switch off via the power button. I tried again with exactly the same outcome!! I then swopped the hard drive,
install hung at exactly the same point again. In desperation I used a different 'XP Installation disk' but that too hung at the same point-'25 mins to finish' Has any one come across this problem before & if so is there a remedy other than scrapping the T21? If there is an answer please let me know as I really
like my machine.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: XP Install hang-up

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Take out the miniPCI card (modem or Ethernet/modem combo) and disconnect any USB or other external devices.
Then try with just RAM, main battery, AC adapter, hard disk and CD/DVD drive.
Perhaps you could borrow another CD/DVD drive to verify?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

kengeo

#3 Post by kengeo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:08 am

RealBlackStuff, you are a godsend, I followed your advice & removed the Lan/modem card,
put the 'Install disk' back in, fired up & 'lo & behold' it carried on installing from where it had
hung with no more problems. I suppose I will try Ebay for a replacement card. Many, many
thanks for solving my dilema.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:16 am

You're welcome.
Those miniPCI cards are usually the culprit, when something 'strange' happens in the T2x series.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)