I have been experimenting with tools for my ThinkPad (and on my NetVista Desktop) with some positive results.
Summary: That processes slow down a machine - Myth. That properly maintained Windows slows down over time - Myth. That a properly maintained Preload is crap and slow - Myth.
Here are things that *work*
2. Defrag your hard drive regularly. I recommend PerfectDisk.O&O Defrag is also very good, highly configurable, and you can run it at boot, so no windows involved
3. Get rid of SpyWare and Malware. I recommend AdAware Pro. I'd ad AVG AntiSpyware, and Spyware detector... All three seem to find things the others miss --different algorithms I guess
4. Keep your registry fresh. I recommend Registry First Aid.
The newest version (5.1) maintains its excellence for registry garbage collection and now adds registry defrag. I have run the registry defrag twice now on my laptop (about a month apart). I am saving nearly a minute at start up time. This one is manual - run it monthly.This is why I'm writing...... THANKS!!!! What a GREAT TOOL!!!...I'd been using the modules in SystemMechanic, and Ashampoo Win Optimize.... OK.... No probs....
But... based on your advice in this thread, I downloaded a trial "Pro" version.... It found 1000 errors... After both of the other reg cleaners reported my Reg was 100% clean
In the past, I've been burned by reg cleaners that got too darn happy, to darn fast -- but I wanted to find out --so I bought it
- I eased into it.... cleaning just portions entries marked "safe to remove" ( green ) at a time....
- Ultimately.... All the keys identified as safe to remove were gone....
- Notably faster boot up, and all my apps still work, including the Thinkvantage stuff
- All the entries the app flagged for my attention were smart (yellow and red).... And gave me options for repair... I just left them for now
- But what knocked me out is ALL the entries marked "safe to remove" are gone --that was like 850 bad entries --and everything still works
Cheers, ... JD Hurst
Nice tool.... Thank you very much for the tip, JD