Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Windows Update Error code 643

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
vnair

Windows Update Error code 643

#1 Post by vnair » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:00 pm

I just bought E530 and not able to update windows update. It suggestes to install about 46 updates, but when asked for restart the laptop, it starts "reverting" ...tried using microsoft sites for fixing tools and also restarted to factory settings...nothing helps...please help

twistero

Re: Windows Update Error code 643

#2 Post by twistero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:47 am

Which Windows version?
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay
701c butterfly, 75MHz 486DX4, 40MB ram, 1GB CF card

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#3 Post by BillMorrow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:44 pm

i assume he is working with win7..

assuming there is nothing you can't easily replace on this new thinkpad, what I would do is run the restore app to get it back to a factory preload condition..
then start carefully applying the windows updates in order of thoes that are most important..

it might be that one particular update is screwing things up.. and doing it that way should pinpoint the culprit..

for me, i an not a fan of windows update since it seems to want to run, even when it is set NOT to run, and the last time it did run on a desktop it destroyed everything i had on that computer and none of the automatic backups i had would restore the system..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

vnair

#4 Post by vnair » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:22 pm

BillMorrow wrote:i assume he is working with win7..

assuming there is nothing you can't easily replace on this new thinkpad, what I would do is run the restore app to get it back to a factory preload condition..
then start carefully applying the windows updates in order of thoes that are most important..

it might be that one particular update is screwing things up.. and doing it that way should pinpoint the culprit..

for me, i an not a fan of windows update since it seems to want to run, even when it is set NOT to run, and the last time it did run on a desktop it destroyed everything i had on that computer and none of the automatic backups i had would restore the system..
Thanks Bill for your suggestion !

Yes, Win 7 Home Prem is preloaded on my lenovo E 530.

I did restart to factory setting by pressing "enter" when the system starts and it took me to few options and one was factory setting (don't remember exact description !)
then I again went to win update section and it suggested about 46 updates and 2 optional...and it installed everything except two updates...and says I need to restart the computer....it is at this stage when I restart....the computer installs about 15% update while shutting down and when it restarts....after 15% installation...says "reverting"..pl do not turn off computer... do you suggest before I restart the sys i should delete those two failed update...how do I know which update is "most important" ..
Please help
thanks

twistero

#5 Post by twistero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Try uninstalling .Net Framework, especially version 1 if you see any.
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay

vnair

#6 Post by vnair » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 pm

twistero wrote:Try uninstalling .Net Framework, especially version 1 if you see any.
I went to control penal>uninstall/change program and double clicked on 'microsoft.Net Framwork 4 client profile and selected to repair to its orginal state, then restarted laptop and then again went to update windows and getting the same issue.....

do you want me delete the .net Framework using the uninstall/change section..
please reply
thanks
Vik

twistero

#7 Post by twistero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 pm

I only vaguely remember having a similar issue on my computer, and it might not even be the same problem, so keep that in mind.

What I would do in your situation is:
Check the list of available updates. Uncheck anything that relates to .Net Framework, and install the rest. Reboot.
If all those patches install without problem, open Windows Update again and check for available updates. If any patch relates to .Net Framework 1.1, do not install them, since 1.1 is not compatible with Win7. Install the rest and reboot.

At any step, if you run into the same problem again, start installing only one patch at a time, and reboot between each one. The idea is to figure out exactly which patch is responsible for the problem.

vnair

#8 Post by vnair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:34 am

twistero wrote:I only vaguely remember having a similar issue on my computer, and it might not even be the same problem, so keep that in mind.

What I would do in your situation is:
Check the list of available updates. Uncheck anything that relates to .Net Framework, and install the rest. Reboot.
If all those patches install without problem, open Windows Update again and check for available updates. If any patch relates to .Net Framework 1.1, do not install them, since 1.1 is not compatible with Win7. Install the rest and reboot.

At any step, if you run into the same problem again, start installing only one patch at a time, and reboot between each one. The idea is to figure out exactly which patch is responsible for the problem.
Thanks for your suggestion !
I will follow your intructions and let you know how I go tomorrow, thanks once again.
Vik

vnair

#9 Post by vnair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

I just finished installing all the updates minis .NET type ones. I have also uninstalled both the .NET before installing updates.
Whilst all seems good but not sure if I do not have .NET framework in my laptop how it effects its functionality ....
Vik

vnair

#10 Post by vnair » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Now that I have got rid of my Error 643,

can someone advise me....do I need to have that .NET Framework in my laptop....if yes, can u pl guide me how to install and which version/format I should use for my Win7 home prem
thanks

Vik

twistero

#11 Post by twistero » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:55 pm

If all your existing software still run, then you don't need .Net Framework.
When you install software in the future, take notice whether they require .Net Framework. If you need it, you can find it on Microsoft's website easily via Google.

vnair

#12 Post by vnair » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:37 am

Thank you everyone on this group who helped me in overcoming the error code 643.

Whilst Lenovo's technical team didn't help me at all and passing the bucks between IBM and Lenovo due to certain internal merger and team allocation...thanks to forum like this which helped a lot...

I will log in from time to time and if anyone have similar issues I am happy to help and share my experience.

Cheers

Vik

nebraskamike

#13 Post by nebraskamike » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 am

I kept getting the 643 error code on a Lenova E530. Ultimately, after restoring the notebook to its factory installation the first thing I did was to uninstall the Lenova Solutions Center program that was preloaded on the notebook. As it was uninstalling I noticed it was deleting references to .NET framework. Also, I uninstalled Lenova SimpleTap but I think the culprit was the Lenova Solutions Center program. I then fired up Windows Update and starting installing the important updates ignoring any that had to do with .NET framework. I did them in groups of related updates like security, etc. I restarted after most updates.

I got thru all the important Window updates and only only had optional updates to do. I made a mistake and selected about 25 non-.NET framework updates in mass to update. The 643 error code returned. I then started installing the optional updates 1 or 2 at a time. That worked. I eventually got thru all the optional updates including the .NET framework ones. When installing the optional .NET framework updates I did one at a time installing the oldest first.

I honestly don't know if the Lenova Solutions Center program was the problem but the steps above worked for me. I hope this helps someone. This was one of the most frustrating computer issues I ever experienced.

vnair

#14 Post by vnair » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 pm

nebraskamike wrote:I kept getting the 643 error code on a Lenova E530. Ultimately, after restoring the notebook to its factory installation the first thing I did was to uninstall the Lenova Solutions Center program that was preloaded on the notebook. As it was uninstalling I noticed it was deleting references to .NET framework. Also, I uninstalled Lenova SimpleTap but I think the culprit was the Lenova Solutions Center program. I then fired up Windows Update and starting installing the important updates ignoring any that had to do with .NET framework. I did them in groups of related updates like security, etc. I restarted after most updates.

I got thru all the important Window updates and only only had optional updates to do. I made a mistake and selected about 25 non-.NET framework updates in mass to update. The 643 error code returned. I then started installing the optional updates 1 or 2 at a time. That worked. I eventually got thru all the optional updates including the .NET framework ones. When installing the optional .NET framework updates I did one at a time installing the oldest first.

I honestly don't know if the Lenova Solutions Center program was the problem but the steps above worked for me. I hope this helps someone. This was one of the most frustrating computer issues I ever experienced.
Good work mate !

Thanks for sharing ...

Bánh mì
Sophomore Member

#15 Post by Bánh mì » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:38 pm

There's a patch to fix this. I had a similar problem and installed it from MSFT. Don't recall the name of it but you need to do a search. Had something to do with printers of all thangs and its also fairly well discussed on the Internet. Aight.
Có một ngày tuyệt vời!