Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to fix fan error on X61

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
hgs0013

How to fix fan error on X61

#1 Post by hgs0013 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:01 am

few weeks ago, my X61 gets fan error, it's not matter when I press Esc key to log in windows. but it sounds bad. I have tried to find the way to fix this problem, but there is nothing I get.
After I put a little oil into two fans and upgrade BIOS, it seems OK. However I don't sure about it, how do you fix this problem?
besides, as I watched that the fans are just working at the starting and when the temperature of CPU reach 65oC, but the fans don't work in the normal condition. And the temperature of CPU reach about 50oC at the starting immediately. so, are the fans and the X61 working normally? how about the CPU temperature of your laptop?

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: How to fix fan error on X61

#2 Post by dr_st » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:02 am

The Fan error is caused by all situations when the controller cannot communicate with the fan. The problem can be in the board (rare) or in the fan (common).

When the problem is in the fan, then the motor is either completely dead or has some problems. If it has some problems, then the problem can appear and disappear, then appear again. Sometimes it can be temporarily solved with some oil. Eventually when nothing helps, replacing the fan or the entire heatsink assembly will be the only viable option.

The BIOS controls the threshold temperatures on which the fan starts up and shuts down. The exact temperatures can depend on the machine and BIOS version. Using a program like TPFanControl the BIOS settings can be overridden, but if everything operates normally there is no reason to do so.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

hgs0013

#3 Post by hgs0013 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:34 am

thanks for your explanation. I have upgrade BIOS to version 2.22 and hope this problem will not appear again!
dr_st wrote:The Fan error is caused by all situations when the controller cannot communicate with the fan. The problem can be in the board (rare) or in the fan (common).

When the problem is in the fan, then the motor is either completely dead or has some problems. If it has some problems, then the problem can appear and disappear, then appear again. Sometimes it can be temporarily solved with some oil. Eventually when nothing helps, replacing the fan or the entire heatsink assembly will be the only viable option.

The BIOS controls the threshold temperatures on which the fan starts up and shuts down. The exact temperatures can depend on the machine and BIOS version. Using a program like TPFanControl the BIOS settings can be overridden, but if everything operates normally there is no reason to do so.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:41 am

Oh and welcome to the forum. :)
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

haritak

#5 Post by haritak » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm

just FYI:

In my case the fan error was caused by the little fan located under the center of the palmrest.
Removing the dust didn't solve the problem.
The fan had trouble rotating. When I powered on the X61, the little fan moved just a little and then stuck. After that I was getting immediately the fan error message.
I disconnected the fan from the motherboard and then bended the three tiny black metalic clips that keep the fan as one piece.
Then I separated the black part from the silver.
At this point the fan can be further separated to the part with the plastic wings and the board.
I placed within the circular part of the plastic wings three-four drops of oil. (After I had cleaned again some dust with alcohol).
Then I put together the fan, placed it back and started testing.
The fan could easily rotate upon boot and I have not received fan error yet.

Wish I took some pictures, but I didn't!
Arch linux on X220

T61p 6459CTO (unofficial bios, mdraid10, upgraded panel) - sold
X61 - sold
T40p with upgraded CPU - retired

caozhi0452

#6 Post by caozhi0452 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 am

hgs0013 wrote:few weeks ago, my X61 gets fan error, it's not matter when I press Esc key to log in windows. but it sounds bad. I have tried to find the way to fix this problem, but there is nothing I get.
After I put a little oil into two fans and upgrade BIOS, it seems OK. However I don't sure about it, how do you fix this problem?
besides, as I watched that the fans are just working at the starting and when the temperature of CPU reach 65oC, but the fans don't work in the normal condition. And the temperature of CPU reach about 50oC at the starting immediately. so, are the fans and the X61 working normally? how about the CPU temperature of your laptop?
是不是该清理灰尘了?
Admin edit:
what i think this member meant to say was: "Sorry,my English is poor.I think you should clear your fan."