Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

"Error 0182: Bad CRC2" with my IBM T42, please hel

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
hommer

"Error 0182: Bad CRC2" with my IBM T42, please hel

#1 Post by hommer » Sun May 15, 2005 10:00 pm

Hi all.

I have heard the reputation of IBM's laptop time over time. Recently, I have decided to buy a second hand IBM Thinkpad T42. Everything was running just fine until this week. I sometimes have the message like this when I boot up the computer "Error 0182: Bad CRC2, Enter BIOS setup and load setup default".

When I load setup default in BIOS setup and reboot the system, it comes up with another message "Unauthorized Network card, please turn off the computer and remove the miniPCI network card". I have never had this problem before when I first bought the laptop.

I disable the internal wireless card to overcome the second problem. Yet, sometimes the first problem will appear. I have to restart many times to get the computer to boot up properly.

Also I just notice that the laptop listed under the warranty info on IBM website (by entering my serial number) is in fact an IBM X31. What is wrong with this? I check the serial number in the BIOS setup and it is the same.

Please help.
Thanks
Last edited by hommer on Sun May 15, 2005 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#2 Post by JHEM » Sun May 15, 2005 10:15 pm

What is the model number on the label on the bottom of the machine? Does the BIOS model number match?

Report back.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

hommer

#3 Post by hommer » Sun May 15, 2005 10:59 pm

Yes it does match, however there are two type numbers one is 2373 and one is 2672 - C3H (this one matches with the BIOS number).

I shut down the computer a while ago, when I turned it back on, the problem 1 occured again :-/.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Plinkerton

#4 Post by Plinkerton » Sun May 15, 2005 11:12 pm

I just wanted to say, that your experience should not have anything to do with the "IBM Reputation".

You bought a used Thinkpad, which, even though it may appear to have never been abused, you really don't know anything about the life of the computer.

The reputation is there for a reason I believe, but buying something used always has additional risks, in my opinion anyway.

Good luck with figuring all that stuff out though.
-Plink-

EDIT: I guess it's not that I have any issues at all with you going "against" the IBM reputation, I just thought when I first read the post name, that you received a new Thinkpad, and just didn't like parts of it. Which would have been perfectly fine, of course.

I don't know where I'm going with this... :D

Good luck...

emorphien

#5 Post by emorphien » Sun May 15, 2005 11:18 pm

I agree that any experiences with a used anything tends to have no bearing on the reputation of a product for me. The owner before you could have used it as a sled for all you know.
X31, T43p (on sale soon I think :( ), T400

hommer

#6 Post by hommer » Sun May 15, 2005 11:57 pm

Its not that I am against IBM's reputation. I sure know the risk associated with buying a used laptop. But I had huge credibility in IBM before, up to the extent that I assumed a used IBM laptop would be as good as a brand new one of the other brands. Well that partly explains why I bought the 1st second hand stuff ever. :)

hommer

#7 Post by hommer » Sun May 15, 2005 11:58 pm

Also edited the title, didnt know that it appears to be offensive to some users here.

Plinkerton

#8 Post by Plinkerton » Mon May 16, 2005 12:17 am

Haha... I know you're not against the IBM reputation, but I just expected something else from this thread. We've seen a few threads recently, along the lines of "My Thinkpad Build quality sucks" etc. Some of them were true also.

It just surprised me to read the thread, after reading the title. I'm not offended! I like Thinkpads, but I'm not like a big IBM fanboy or anything.

But yeah, I'd be wary of buying a laptop second hand also, but just because I always viewed electronics as "fragile".

Hopefully it will all work out well.

egibbs

#9 Post by egibbs » Mon May 16, 2005 6:07 am

It sounds like something is seriously wrong. If you can return it to the seller I would - if not, I would contact IBM, explain the situation, and ask for help.

The CRC error is a serious error - normally a CRC error means corrupted BIOS and it can mean a new Motherboard is needed.

Put that together with the serial number/model number discrepancies and it sounds like someone has done some serious surgery on this machine.

The two model number stickers is just too strange. I think 2373 is right, that's for a T42. 2672 - C3H is in fact an X31 and the BIOS shows it as an X31...? Is it possible that they put an X31 system board in a T42? I wouldn't think that was possible, but...

I almost wonder if it isn't stolen and they tried to change the serial number in the BIOS to hide that fact. Maybe they wiped the CMOS and the only BIOS they had available was for an X31...?

Anyway - something is very wrong here and you should get your money back.

Good luck,

Ed Gibbs

hommer

#10 Post by hommer » Mon May 16, 2005 7:29 pm

Hi Egibbs.

Another error occurs when I boot up the computer today

"Error 0187: EAIA data access error. The access to EERROM has failed"

Ibm support web site says it is the fault of the system board. I called up IBM and was given a reference number to enclose when I send the laptop to the warranty service centre. It is still under 1 yr warranty. The thing bothers me is that the mess up between the warranty info and the real laptop. Hopefully, IBM will still fix it for me. I will also contact the seller as he promised to give 1 month warranty. Lets see how thing turns out.

Thanks guys

egibbs

#11 Post by egibbs » Tue May 17, 2005 6:01 am

The more I think about it the more it sounds like someone stuffed an X31 system board into a T42 case. I'm not sure how that is possible, but nothing else seems to make sense.

Good luck, post back when you hear from IBM what they find.

Ed Gibbs