Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
RMSMajestic

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order thread

#91 Post by RMSMajestic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:18 am

Peter Larsen wrote:
PS. I would still like to see the assembly instructions, to see if I've done something wrong.

I've sent emails on Sunday. But you have pretty much figured it out lol
just need to make sure if the screen cable is properly placed and it's better to fasten the converter board in position.
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

AndrasH

#92 Post by AndrasH » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:22 am

RMSMajestic wrote: nope, Javi has kind of given up. Though we promised to do a batch order for those guys at German thinkpad forum who are willing to take risk on their own. In one sentence, there will be probably in total ~100 kits worldwide that might not work.
I'm sorry to hear that. I understand that there is a high possibility that it would not work, but I am still willing to take the risk, if it would be available.

Peter Larsen

#93 Post by Peter Larsen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:55 am

RMSMajestic wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:
PS. I would still like to see the assembly instructions, to see if I've done something wrong.

I've sent emails on Sunday. But you have pretty much figured it out lol
just need to make sure if the screen cable is properly placed and it's better to fasten the converter board in position.

Yes, I almost followed the instructions completely.
It was only monitor cable that needed to be adjusted slightly and the converter board should be fixed in position.

RMSMajestic

#94 Post by RMSMajestic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Amazon warning:
BrightFocal is selling faked screens

When you buy from amazon, you need to make sure that the screen is sold by either amazon or AUO itself, not some sneaky sellers
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA

teleshoes

#95 Post by teleshoes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:40 pm

so sad right now. my package was apparently posted on saturday, but i never got it. tracking number says it was delivered a few hours before i got home last saturday, and i never saw it.
the tracking number had said the same thing for so long i wasnt checking it regularly.

anyway, :'(

stingray_SIX_TWO

#96 Post by stingray_SIX_TWO » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 am

After months of this kit collecting dust I've finally made the swap last week and let me first of all say: THANK YOU RMSMajestic for offering this possibility, your work is highly appreciated!

I can confirm the problems with getting the right screen. I had to buy two of them until I got the right one. I didn't even bother with Amazon and went for a dealer on Ebay but he sent me a 'equivalent' LG panel even though the exact part description suggested it'd be the AUO panel.

After countless phone calls and research I found a panel dealer out of the UK who was able to guarantee that the panel I ordered would be exactly the one they'll send out and they did. I got the B140HAN01.2. With it everything worked flawlessly. I used the Windows 10 built in color calibration tool to remove most of the yellow tint and adjust cleartype settings. What a world of difference guys! Finally I have the only thing I missed from my former T440s back - the FHD panel. But now housed in a classic chassis - T430s.

Here the result:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/623/32368 ... bdaf_h.jpg

Working like a charm for over a week now.

Cheers!

stingray_SIX_TWO

#97 Post by stingray_SIX_TWO » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:24 am

RMSMajestic wrote:When you buy from amazon, you need to make sure that the screen is sold by either amazon or AUO itself, not some sneaky sellers
That dealer piggybacking option is about to break Amazon's neck if they don't curb it in some way some time soon. It's a disaster not only with screens.

kquadrat

#98 Post by kquadrat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:22 am

Thank you very much RMSMajestic, i got my kit and the instructions!

I also had a lot of problems to find a genuine screen, finally i ordered this one

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-ori ... 51935.html

After smal conversation, the seller told me, he will send me B140HAN01.2
When i'll get my screen, i'll let you know if the screen is alright.

AndrasH

#99 Post by AndrasH » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:32 pm

kquadrat wrote:After smal conversation, the seller told me, he will send me B140HAN01.2
When i'll get my screen, i'll let you know if the screen is alright.
Did the seller confirm that this is a matte screen? I thought .3 is glossy, but the description says matte.

technopanda

#100 Post by technopanda » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:00 pm

.3 is most definitely matte, but it does have a glossy cover from the factory to protect it in transit before it is fitted, so maybe that is where the confusion is.

Dr. Ego

#101 Post by Dr. Ego » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:41 am

stingray_SIX_TWO wrote:After months of this kit collecting dust I've finally made the swap last week and let me first of all say: THANK YOU RMSMajestic for offering this possibility, your work is highly appreciated!

I can confirm the problems with getting the right screen. I had to buy two of them until I got the right one. I didn't even bother with Amazon and went for a dealer on Ebay but he sent me a 'equivalent' LG panel even though the exact part description suggested it'd be the AUO panel.

After countless phone calls and research I found a panel dealer out of the UK who was able to guarantee that the panel I ordered would be exactly the one they'll send out and they did. I got the B140HAN01.2. With it everything worked flawlessly. I used the Windows 10 built in color calibration tool to remove most of the yellow tint and adjust cleartype settings. What a world of difference guys! Finally I have the only thing I missed from my former T440s back - the FHD panel. But now housed in a classic chassis - T430s.

Here the result:

Cheers!

Could you share the UK dealer that had the correct panels with us?

TheIntermediate

#102 Post by TheIntermediate » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:55 am

stingray_SIX_TWO wrote:After months of this kit collecting dust I've finally made the swap last week and let me first of all say: THANK YOU RMSMajestic for offering this possibility, your work is highly appreciated!

Here the result:

Cheers!
Hey, I would also love to know the UK supplier you used to get your panel.

Does anyone know any info on the best panel to use for the WQHD kits?

Also managed to miss this cable run, not a smart man haha.

Thanks mate!

thespysapper

#103 Post by thespysapper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm

Any news on non-s upgrade kits?

ji2o0k
Freshman Member

#104 Post by ji2o0k » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 am

thespysapper wrote:Any news on non-s upgrade kits?
RMSMajestic wrote:
CryoGenBG wrote:Do you have any ETA of the non-S models ?
nope, Javi has kind of given up. Though we promised to do a batch order for those guys at German thinkpad forum who are willing to take risk on their own. In one sentence, there will be probably in total ~100 kits worldwide that might not work.
See RMSMajestic's response re: non-s upgrade kits...doesn't look like it will happen...

RMSMajestic

#105 Post by RMSMajestic » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:09 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad ... SwZQRYh7Og

I just ordered one of these.... Don't know how hard will the touch panel removal be...... :/

MarkusPrime

#106 Post by MarkusPrime » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:35 am

I just ordered one of these.... Don't know how hard will the touch panel removal be...... :/
Just curious how the touch is integrated into this display. Is the connector for the display different than a non-touch variant?

StefanKo

#107 Post by StefanKo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:40 am

I bought a screen of a yoga 12 to harvest the display for my X220.
The display connector was standard eDP, the digitizer and touch screen had extra connectors.

There is some glue between the touch screen and the display.
Maybe comparable to these famous X61T SXGA displays.
Anyway, I broke my display when I tried to remove the touchscreen :-(
Look for advice regarding SXGA direct bonding displays, and good luck!
using an X220 (i3->i5->i7, hopefully soon FHD IPS), an X41 (SSD via (m)sata-Mod, IPS, ~100Wh custom battery);
playing with an T430u(buntu), storing a T22, X41t, T42, R61, T61p;
and taking care of the T420s (FHD IPS) of my wife

SaskFellow
Freshman Member

#108 Post by SaskFellow » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:21 pm

I installed the kit with my 1.3 matte screen...

Oh my the screen is a massive upgrade in picture. I put it up beside my T61 and it really shows the colour difference between IPS and TN screens.

The install was pretty simple, but a few notes of wisdom...

DON'T do the install with any power connected. Disconnect the power block and pull the batteries. You will blow fuses.

Be careful with the display surround plastic, I snapped some, tried to glue the broken bits back on, now I have to order a new surround... lol

Careful with cable routing, there are some nasty pinch points that will cut into the cable on the T420s at least.

:bow: at the quality of picture after.
T61 14.1 WXGA+ 220nit, T9300, Owl blade fan cooler, 8GB PC2-6400, 2010 revised NVS140M, Samsung 840Pro 240GB, AR9390 N, BT4.1, NMB keyboard, T400 palm-rest, 33++ battery.

T420s 14.0 HD+, i7-2460M, 16GB PC3L-12800, NVS4200M, Samsung 850Pro 512GB, Intel 7260AC, BT4.1, Chicony KB, 81+ battery

tomatohat

#109 Post by tomatohat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:22 pm

ji2o0k wrote:
thespysapper wrote:Any news on non-s upgrade kits?
RMSMajestic wrote:
nope, Javi has kind of given up. Though we promised to do a batch order for those guys at German thinkpad forum who are willing to take risk on their own. In one sentence, there will be probably in total ~100 kits worldwide that might not work.
See RMSMajestic's response re: non-s upgrade kits...doesn't look like it will happen...
Confirmed. I asked Javi as well a few days ago. There's no current ETA. It's on the back burner. No current priority given to it. At the present time, unless you "have an in", the 420s and 430s are the only ones available for an upgrade.
Marto_ wrote:That makes it 4 people interested in another batch, who have replied here, so there is interest in ordering a minimum of 4 kits. If you add people who are interested but haven't replied, and people ordering multiple kits, it probably comes to 8 kits (especially if the pre-order interest thread is done outside of holiday season.

Would 8-10 kit orders justify another batch?
itintelligence wrote:
Hi RMSMajestic,

I *Just* found out about this upgrade, seems I may be a little late to the game. Are you looking to source any more of these kits? I would purchase one for certain.

Many Thanks
For those who might consider an upgrade, I might step in if RMSMajestic decides not to make another batch order soon. I've been bouncing emails with RMSMajestic and talking to a few 51nb members. I might pull the trigger on the 2K in addition to a few FHD for myself.

There's a 2K upgrade option available now (from a different 51nb member not Javi), but it requires a bit of solder work. However, given the requests here have been asking for detailed instructions for nonsolder kits, I'd be hesitant to make a batch order and offer these out.
RMSMajestic wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad ... SwZQRYh7Og

It's not hard. I've done it already.

AndrasH

#110 Post by AndrasH » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Now that the non-s is canceled, I would be in for a T430s FHD kit.

tomatohat

#111 Post by tomatohat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:23 pm

AndrasH wrote:Now that the non-s is canceled, I would be in for a T430s FHD kit.
Not sure if I would say canceled. Javi is still working on it. It's just not high on the priority list.

Marto_

#112 Post by Marto_ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:36 pm

SaskFellow wrote:I installed the kit with my 1.3 matte screen...

Oh my the screen is a massive upgrade in picture. I put it up beside my T61 and it really shows the colour difference between IPS and TN screens.

The install was pretty simple, but a few notes of wisdom...

DON'T do the install with any power connected. Disconnect the power block and pull the batteries. You will blow fuses.

Be careful with the display surround plastic, I snapped some, tried to glue the broken bits back on, now I have to order a new surround... lol

Careful with cable routing, there are some nasty pinch points that will cut into the cable on the T420s at least.

:bow: at the quality of picture after.
I did my 1.3 installation last weekend.

Some notes in addition to those above:

During disassembly, take photos with mobile phone of any cable routing and attachments, to refer to to put them back in the right place.

I had to detach the left hinge to get the video cable through (not mentioned in instructions).

Only do installation when you have 2 hours uninterrupted, and take your time on fragile screen surround and cable routing.

Once finished, look at some HD photos of landscapes or whatever on your new screen. Enjoy!

TheIntermediate

#113 Post by TheIntermediate » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:37 am

tomatohat wrote:
Marto_ wrote:That makes it 4 people interested in another batch, who have replied here, so there is interest in ordering a minimum of 4 kits. If you add people who are interested but haven't replied, and people ordering multiple kits, it probably comes to 8 kits (especially if the pre-order interest thread is done outside of holiday season.

Would 8-10 kit orders justify another batch?
For those who might consider an upgrade, I might step in if RMSMajestic decides not to make another batch order soon. I've been bouncing emails with RMSMajestic and talking to a few 51nb members. I might pull the trigger on the 2K in addition to a few FHD for myself.

There's a 2K upgrade option available now (from a different 51nb member not Javi), but it requires a bit of solder work. However, given the requests here have been asking for detailed instructions for nonsolder kits, I'd be hesitant to make a batch order and offer these out.
How much soldering is required? I haven't soldered before but would be open to give it a crack.

Is there also any possibility of non-solder kits in the works for 2k?

But yea, if it's way over my head I'd be down for FHD kit.

tomatohat

#114 Post by tomatohat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm

TheIntermediate wrote:
tomatohat wrote:

How much soldering is required? I haven't soldered before but would be open to give it a crack.

Is there also any possibility of non-solder kits in the works for 2k?

But yea, if it's way over my head I'd be down for FHD kit.
It's from this 51nb thread. https://forum.51nb.com/thread-1565640-1-1.html Start from the 7th picture for the 2k mod. Besides the board for the FHD upgrade, there's an additional board that goes onto the other side of motherboard and taps into the connection for the dock to grab the DP signal.

TheIntermediate

#115 Post by TheIntermediate » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:04 am

tomatohat wrote:
It's from this 51nb thread. https://forum.51nb.com/thread-1565640-1-1.html Start from the 7th picture for the 2k mod. Besides the board for the FHD upgrade, there's an additional board that goes onto the other side of motherboard and taps into the connection for the dock to grab the DP signal.
Thanks heaps for that!

I have had a look, unsure if I am capable of pulling that off.

I'd have to have a play around with some solder before I potentially ruin my T430s.

That 2k screen is pretty beautiful though, could be worth the risk.

bukowski

#116 Post by bukowski » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 am

kit received....
now the hardest part....i have to find a reliable seller for the screen :?

Wolfman_Jack

#117 Post by Wolfman_Jack » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:53 am

Has anyone tried East Coast LCDs on Amazon?

kquadrat

#118 Post by kquadrat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Today i had some time to install the kit and to chanche the panel, it tooks me more time then i expected, but without any problems. IPS is amazing, real pleasure to view pictures.
I can recomend the seller where i ordered my panel, link is above, he sent me a B140HAN01.2 FRU04X0436 without any death pixel.

CryoGenBG

#119 Post by CryoGenBG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 am

tomatohat wrote:
ji2o0k wrote:
Confirmed. I asked Javi as well a few days ago. There's no current ETA. It's on the back burner. No current priority given to it. At the present time, unless you "have an in", the 420s and 430s are the only ones available for an upgrade.

Perhaps the people interested in the non-S upgrade a lot more, but due to this really complicated way of buying with pre-ordering and waiting for months, most of them just don't have the nerve to wait.

If 20-30 kits are build and list on ebay or aliexpress, perhaps will be sold in bigger quantities if that is the main concern for Javi.

I have already bought a display and want to know if that was waste of time and money.

kinkng

#120 Post by kinkng » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 am

Wolfman_Jack wrote:Has anyone tried East Coast LCDs on Amazon?
I bought some panels from them. I did a search for AU OPTRONICS B140HAN01 on amazon and purchased 2 panels from them (be aware that there are other sellers but when I sent the other sellers an email asking if they were the exact ones, they stated that they were compatible which I took to mean, they were generic panels. East Coast LCD was the only one that said that they had it in stock. When I received it, the panel did have B140HAN01.3 printed on it but I did not see AU Optronics printed anywhere on the panel. I installed it with the FHD kit and have no issues/problems with it (have been using it for 2 weeks now). I took a picture of it and sent it to RMSMajestic and he thinks that they are genuine.

Be aware that the price fluctuates between $50 and $62. I initially bought 2 for $50 each but when I wanted to get additional panels, the price had went up to $62. I was worried that they were getting scarce so I bought additional ones. I asked East Coast if they can match my previous price and they would not do it even thought I was buying 10 additional panels. Right after I bought it, the price went back down to $50 where it is still as of today.

For East Coast LCD, send them an email before you buy to confirm that they actually have it in stock. After you order from Amazon, send them another email to make sure that they send the one that you specifically ask for.