thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:22 am 
Sophomore Member

ThinkPad Twist vs Ideapad Yoga... what's the difference??
Why is one a "Thinkpad" and the other an IdeaPad.

Looking for something cool but dependable that I can use as an everyday computer, but still take around to my coffeeshop<g>.

Thx.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:50 am 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Note that the Twist has the "Edge" branding all over it, it does not belong to the traditional ThinkPad line.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:38 am 

I am torn myself. I hope to go to Best Buy and Staples to get my hands on each one. I like that the Yoga offers HD+, which the Twist does not (and this is likely the decision-maker for me, and the reason I did not go for the T430u), but I like that the Twist can provide a high capacity spinning disk drive. That's just not a deal-breaker for me. I am bummed at the lack of a trackpoint on the Yoga, though. But maybe with touchscreen, it's no longer a big bonus. We'll see.

As for "traditional" Thinkpad, etc. Well, I have been a Thinkpad user for a long time, for business and personal use, but I am disappointed mostly with the display resolution offerings in the "traditional" Thinkpad line. I have no issues with the new chicklet keyboards. So I guess I am just not a "traditional" Thinkpad user. Considering that I have been using a z61t for the last few years, I guess that makes sense.

Z61t:9440-A23,Win7 Ultimate 64-bit; T23:2648-8RU+512MB,WinXP Pro (ret.); T40:2373-PU7,WinXP Pro (ret.); Yoga 13 i5 (stolen)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:02 pm 

I played with them both at the respective stores. I did not like the twist. They hinge mechanism is too awkward for my liking, but maybe I am being picky. The case is cheap looking in my opinion and it does not look or feel like a Thinkpad. The Yoga actually feels sturdier and looks cleaner like a Thinkpad. I like the Yoga hinge and I like the higher resolution display. I also think the keyboard looks and feels much better in the Yoga than the Twist. The twist keeps the trackpoint and I wish the Yoga did as well. I have used my trackpoint exclusively on my T23, my T40, and my Z61t, but with a REALLY nice touchpad (like the Yoga's) and a touchscreen, trackpoint might quickly become obsolete for me.

I really am disappointed that neither has a keyboard backlight or "thinklight" of some sort. I also hate that Lenovo chose to exploit Yoga as a practice and tradition to market a commercial product, but that is a whole other matter. Regardless, if the Yoga had a backlit keyboard, I would be using one right now to type this post. I have to think about it a bit.

Z61t:9440-A23,Win7 Ultimate 64-bit; T23:2648-8RU+512MB,WinXP Pro (ret.); T40:2373-PU7,WinXP Pro (ret.); Yoga 13 i5 (stolen)