thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:26 pm 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am
Posts: 70
Location: Greenwich, CT
I was wondering before I order some USB ports is that the only reason on this model why this would be stuck on this screen because the USB port is broken and the pins are touching the metal of the port?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:04 pm 
Offline
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:28 am
Posts: 12019
Location: Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
No it's not.

Various forms of motherboard failure can manifest themselves in this manner.

Bad DIMM or slot can do the same thing. Many other things as well.

Once you've received the unit, check the USB ports, and if they're not at fault, we can troubleshoot further, point by point.

Good luck.

_________________
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your friendly retired FlexView farmer)

Collecting SSDI: A31p, T42p, T43p

Abused daily: T43pSF, T60, R60F, R500F

For sale: T61, T61p


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:06 pm 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am
Posts: 70
Location: Greenwich, CT
ajkula66 wrote:
No it's not.

Various forms of motherboard failure can manifest themselves in this manner.

Bad DIMM or slot can do the same thing. Many other things as well.

Once you've received the unit, check the USB ports, and if they're not at fault, we can troubleshoot further, point by point.

Good luck.



Ok It should be here Monday so I will check that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:18 pm 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am
Posts: 70
Location: Greenwich, CT
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/1042/dsc00603va.jpg

Admin edit: Removed large (>200KB) inline image; please keep them ~50KB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Chicago, Illinois
MikeCL wrote:
I was wondering before I order some USB ports is that the only reason on this model why this would be stuck on this screen because the USB port is broken and the pins are touching the metal of the port?


Yes, it's quite possible that the damaged USB port is the only problem preventing your T400 from booting. Of course, this may be happening because of something entirely different malfunctioning, but this exact thing happened to a T500 at the computer shop at which I work. The T500 did the same thing as your T400 is doing: when you would power it on, it would just hang at the BIOS splash screen. We tried different sticks of DDR3, no luck. I had known about the damaged USB port since the time that the computer was brought into the shop, but I had no idea that it would be the culprit for this type of problem.

Long story short, assuming nothing else is wrong with your T400's motherboard, replacing the USB port or even bending the pins so that they don't contact other metal components should solve your problem. In your picture, it looks like pin 1 (+5V) is shorting out with the frame around the USB port. Bending this to match the other 3 pins should fix the issue. Good luck.

Image

_________________
Hardware = Fun! My ThinkPads:
IBM: 240X, 360Cs, 570E, 2x600E, 700C, 755CDV, 760E, 760EL, 770E, T20, 2xT22, A22m, A30, T30, X30, X31, R40, 2x X41t, T42, T42p UXGA, T43 14" SXGA+, T43 15", 2x R51, i1400
lenovo: T60 SXGA+, T61 4:3 Intel, X200 (P8600, 2GB, 320GB 7.2k, 9-cell, Win.7 & Xubuntu)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:46 pm 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am
Posts: 70
Location: Greenwich, CT
Yeah I made sure I read everything I could on this issue, it sucks for the people it happened to :( I had something happen to me like this on a 18-1 media reader that had a USb port on the front, I pulled out my printers USB cable not putting force on it and the white plastic part just pulled right out, so it's no longer useable :-/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Chicago, Illinois
MikeCL wrote:
Yeah I made sure I read everything I could on this issue, it sucks for the people it happened to :( I had something happen to me like this on a 18-1 media reader that had a USb port on the front, I pulled out my printers USB cable not putting force on it and the white plastic part just pulled right out, so it's no longer useable :-/

I agree -- it does suck. I know this sounds kind of dodgy, but if you had the plastic piece couldn't you just super-glue it back into place? There's pretty much nothing to lose.

Also, did bending the pin back fix the issue with your T400?

_________________
Hardware = Fun! My ThinkPads:
IBM: 240X, 360Cs, 570E, 2x600E, 700C, 755CDV, 760E, 760EL, 770E, T20, 2xT22, A22m, A30, T30, X30, X31, R40, 2x X41t, T42, T42p UXGA, T43 14" SXGA+, T43 15", 2x R51, i1400
lenovo: T60 SXGA+, T61 4:3 Intel, X200 (P8600, 2GB, 320GB 7.2k, 9-cell, Win.7 & Xubuntu)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm 
Offline
Freshman Member

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am
Posts: 70
Location: Greenwich, CT
MunkyCheez wrote:
I agree -- it does suck. I know this sounds kind of dodgy, but if you had the plastic piece couldn't you just super-glue it back into place? There's pretty much nothing to lose.

Also, did bending the pin back fix the issue with your T400?



The laptop came this way.. no biggie since I will be installing a new jack. And yes I've been on the laptop most of the day today so it's working fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group