Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Tutorial - T60 Custom XP OEM CD

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
kf_man
Freshman Member

Tutorial - T60 Custom XP OEM CD

#1 Post by kf_man » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:19 am

I just wanted to share a tutorial I put together tonight that describes how to make a Custom Windows XP OEM CD that includes specific tweaks for T60 notebooks. I know there was already a very good tutorial available, but it did not cover a problem specific to T60s that causes a reboot on startup. I believe my tutorial alleviates the problem, but I have not yet tried it. I probably will in the next couple of days, but I wanted to get it out there for others to review and possibly try it out.

Above and beyond other similar tutorials, this one shows how to integrate an update pack, the required hotfix, and various network drivers. This tutorial also covers integrating the Intel Storage Matrix Driver so you don't need to use compatibility mode for the SATA drive. Please let me know what you think or if you find it helpful to you. I know it's a little late in the game given the fact that Vista was already released, but I'm sure there are many people who would like to stick with XP for a while longer.

I know this is the general Windows OS forum, but these instructions may be useful to other models with only minor modifications.

ThinkPad T60 - How to Make a Custom OEM Windows CD

EDIT: I tried out the install last night and it seemed to work well. Windows booted up fine the first time and I had only minor problems with System Update not properly installing things. This may or may not have been caused by the slipstreaming, but if anyone is willing to experiment, you can easily leave out the network drivers and update pack (make sure to still use the Intel Storage Matrix Driver and the KB896256 Hotfix).
-Kyle Farnung

Lenovo T60 2613HKU: 14.1" SXGA+, C2D T7200, 2GB RAM (2x1GB), 128MB Radeon X1400, 120GB 5400RPM HD, DVD-Burner, IPW 3945, BT, XP Pro

Torque

#2 Post by Torque » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:17 pm

Great contribution!

This guide was easy to follow, worked like a charm.

However, I just cannot get sound to work with this install.

I made the slipstream exactly like yours, except for the RVM pack (danish XP, RVM only works with english). Maybe that could be what's wrong.

I installed a clean windows, ran all windows updates and then installed the IBM drivers. When I got to installing the audio drivers, I got a message saying "HD Audio Bus Driver missing", and that was it. Searching around came up with KB888111 that should be a driver for HD audio and solved the problem for some people on forums - but just not me :(

So I tried again. Re-installed with the slipstreamed disc. Installed .NET 2.0 and ran System Update in hope for it to install properly. The System Update came up with a update concerning HD Audio - so I installed it. Didn't work. Audio driver doesn't show up in System Update, and when I download it manually from lenovo.com and run the installer, I get the same message.

Looks like I'll have to go back to the R&R :(
IBM T60
14,1" (1400x1050), 1,83GHz Core Duo, 64MB X1300
1GB RAM, 100GB 7200 HDD, DVD burner