thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 The thinkpads support forum is now hosting legacy model ThinkPad driver and driver updates..
A link is provided in the MENUBAR just above for registered forum members only..

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:54 pm 

I'm trying to decrapify my T400, and unfortunately Thinkvantage is the worst offender on my new laptop.

What all is safe to remove? I don't use the fingerprint scanner so that isn't an issue.

I burned off the Product Recovery CDs. Do I need to keep the Rescue and Recovery program? I'm not entirely sure what it does. It would be nice if I could make a backup of my system once I get it how I want it, burn off some CDs for easy restore in the future. Then again, there are 100 3rd party programs that do this that don't install 15 processes too.

Do I need to keep the power stuff? Right now I have the Vista battery (that says 100%), and the Lenovo battery gauge says 67% (which is correct). So I wonder if Lenovo's is overriding Vista's. I wasn't sure if I had to keep Lenovo's power console to utilize the switchable graphics.

Anyway, comments on what I NEED to keep are appreciated.

Thanks!!

T400 | 2.53Ghz | 4GB Ram | 160GB 7200rpm | Vista Business x64 SP1
X41 | 1.5Ghz | 1GB Ram | 40GB 5400rpm | XP Pro SP3

Post subject: RE:Need
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:25 am 

I don't know if you NEED the thinkpad power management software or not. If you burned off the R+R DVDs, you don't need the R+R software (note that it also keeps its own partition.) You DONT need easyject, presentation director, the productivity center, client security solutions (if you don't use its security features,) Intel management and security, and even the active protection system software if you don't mind the risk, access connections, fingerprint software, or integrated camera (if you don't use it.) The keyboard customizer utility can be removed, but note that it controls some of your hotkeys. You may not have all of the software, or maybe even more depending on your configuration.

7/OSX/Ubuntu
2.8GHz core 2 duo
4g DDR3
320g@5400rpm+160g@7200RPM
Led backlit and all the goodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:11 am 

It's hard to decrapify Windows :lol:

When I went through using Windows I just did a reinstall, and then added all the stuff I wanted. I figured that was the easiest way.