thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
FORUM NOTICE: This forum is under attack by hundreds of spam "BOTS" IF you experience SLOW performance or an error page it is due to these spam "BOTS", take a look at the footer and if you see more than 100 forum users and guests that is what is happening. The normal user/guest count should be about 60 to 90. Sorry for this trouble, I am working to exclude all such spam bots.

If you so wish:
Donate using PayPal

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:00 pm 

I have a new T400 running Win XP. The hard disk pulses on and off at about 1 second intervals. Forever. Even when booted in Safe Mode. Lenovo's repair was to re-install VISTA. That worked for the disk, but not for me. When I reinstalled XP, the problem resumed.
Passes all diagnostic tests. The only think that turns off the hard disk is disabling or removing the DVDRAM drive. I tried updating the DVD driver and firmware for that but no updates were available. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:31 am 
Freshman Member

Do you have windows desktop search installed and indexing your hard drive? What about virus protection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:44 am 
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

As a test, try disabling autorun on your optical drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:10 am 

File indexing is turned off.

I tried disabling autorun in the registry but that didnt help.

In the install/unistall list, I found an application called 'drag & drop to disk'. I uninstalled that and the disk seems to have quieted down. Not sure what that app does or whether I will miss it. Unfortunately, I also got rid of rescue/recovery at the same time so that might have been the culprit. I wasnt planning to use r/r anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:21 pm 

I had a simlar problem on my T61 and by viewing which processes were accessing the drive (through task manager, for example) I narrowed it down to some of the wireless networking-related processes (csrss.exe and lsass.exe). I can't remember the fix but I found it by googling. The HDD still pulses every 5-10 seconds but I suspect that might be down to AV, firewall, and RnR software.

I understand how infuriating it can be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:46 pm 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

If you haven't turned it off, it could also be that the HD is being defragmented while your computer is idle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:02 pm 

how do you turn continual defragmentation off? I never knew it could be turned on... I simply run a full defrag every month or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:05 pm 
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

pipspeak wrote:
how do you turn continual defragmentation off? I never knew it could be turned on... I simply run a full defrag every month or so.
It is not continual, it´s scheduled. Check scheduled tasks or, alternatively, Disk Defrag under System Tools and disable "Run on a schedule" (you could also change the schedule).

Hope this helps

Marin

IBM Lenovo Z61p | 15.4'' WUXGA | Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2x 2.16GHz | 4 GB Kingston HyperX | Hitachi 7K500 500 GB + WD 1TB (USB) | ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 | ThinkPad Atheros a/b/g | Analog Devices AD1981HD | Win 7 x86 + ArchLinux 2009.08 x64 (number crunching)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:53 pm 
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

pipspeak wrote:

There is probably an easier way than what I describe here (but I wouldn't know). What you need is TweakUI from MS. It allows you to set many things that otherwise can only be changed by modifying the registry directly. Within TweakUI, there is a section called "General" and then there is a check box for "Optimize hard disk while idle", which is checked by default. Uncheck that check box. BTW: as far as I know, this is different from the defragmentation that you can schedule with the Windows scheduler.