thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
 Support this forum, shop at newmodeus.com
 Support the forum, shop at newmodeus.com
System backups occur about 7:00 am EDT and last about 10 minutes. This will slow performance. RSS feeds have been added to the forum.
Donate if you wish to:
bill at thinkpads dot com

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 pm 

ok, so I can get the T60 started using the "push the power button 10 times and hold 30 seconds for the 11th time" method and I can get it to work consistently when only on battery power but I cannot get it to turn on when plugged in.

Any solutions? I think this has to do with the power supply and hoped someone who had gone through this could answer.

I've also searched high and low and there might be something I missed but I welcome some pointers.

-Will

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:05 pm 
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

What happens if you remove the battery completely?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:11 pm 

It will only start on battery, but recognizes the AC plugged in and charges, goes to AC mode, etc. as normal.

Tried different AC adapters so I assume it is something with the AC side of things. Looking for confirmation before I order new parts and spend a bunch of money

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:31 pm 
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

First I might try a new CMOS battery. If that doesn't work I'd try to remove every non-essential part from the machine and run it in a dock. Remove the keyboard, hard drive, optical drive, modem, Wifi card, etc. You just want to have a basic board. Then hook up an external keyboard. If it still fails in the dock you need to start looking for a new systemboard. If you don't have a dock you might have to make an assumption that the keyboard is good and go for a systemboard anyway.