Search found 6696 matches

by dr_st
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:12 am
Forum: Windows 10
Topic: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10
Replies: 63
Views: 1513

Re: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10

There was a particular piece of software that we've been using since T-Rex were the ruling species on this planet, the last version was released in 2002, the company which made it went belly up in 2003. We were not the only ones using it, but it's definitely an industry-specific piece with a very s...
by dr_st
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm
Forum: Windows 10
Topic: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10
Replies: 63
Views: 1513

Re: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10

Oh, I can easily believe that software that predates XP will not run (or not run well) on anything newer than XP. But to have it work on Win7 and then break on Win8 would be very... surprising. There are very few changes in the OS that could break SW between those two versions.
by dr_st
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:29 pm
Forum: Windows 10
Topic: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10
Replies: 63
Views: 1513

Re: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10

There's also a *ton* of proprietary software out there that simply won't run on anything newer than W7 Somehow I find this *very* difficult to believe, since I have probably not encountered *a single piece of software* like this myself. I can believe there may be a few poorly-written utilities for ...
by dr_st
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:14 am
Forum: Thinkpad X6x Series incl. X6x Tablet
Topic: X61 -ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows 7
Replies: 1
Views: 56

Re: X61 -ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows 7

It's probably an unintentional omission. It should still work.
by dr_st
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:44 am
Forum: Off-Topic Stuff
Topic: MSFN Site Going Offline 12 August 2017
Replies: 15
Views: 322

Re: MSFN Site Going Offline 12 August 2017

TPFanatic wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:00 pm
Ads are stupid and web developers shouldn't make sites they can't pay for except joining the Googlearchy.
Heh. Ads allow you and me to get lots of content for free, because someone else is paying for it. And we don't even have to watch them most of the time! :)
by dr_st
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:42 am
Forum: Windows 10
Topic: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10
Replies: 63
Views: 1513

Re: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10

Ada, if you are not aware of it, normal support for Windows7 ended two years ago. Extended support--a period when critical security and other matters will sometimes be addressed--ends in January of 2020. Microsoft has usually been very good in fixing actually critical things during the extended sup...
by dr_st
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:17 am
Forum: Pictures of your ThinkPad & desk setup
Topic: Lenovo's last classic Thinkpads tour: T410, X220, T430s *MANY PICTURES*
Replies: 32
Views: 3556

Re: Lenovo's last classic Thinkpads tour: T410, X220, T430s *MANY PICTURES*

I just tried uploading an image as a test, and the direct link for the image retained the original filename. It does, however it prefixes it with a "folder name" which is a garbled random string. If it had at least been the same for all images in a given gallery, it would be almost good enough, but...
by dr_st
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 am
Forum: Windows 10
Topic: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10
Replies: 63
Views: 1513

Re: And another reason to avoid Micro$haft's W10

w0qj wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am
Actually we just cut a square of cardboard paper, and use tape to temporarily cover the webcam on our Thinkpads.
This looks like a nice alternative: https://www.amazon.com/Webcam-Cover-Lap ... B004Z0XSY6
by dr_st
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:05 am
Forum: ThinkPad W500/510/520 and W7x0 Series
Topic: My T61 Died need Expert Suggestions to buy a 2nd durble user friendly uprgadeable powerful Ibm Lenovo Laptop
Replies: 42
Views: 2680

Re: My T61 Died need Expert Suggestions to buy a 2nd durble user friendly uprgadeable powerful Ibm Lenovo Laptop

wujstefan wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:31 am
A fast system for one man will be slow for another. T400 is the lightest unit that can sport 2503 dock, and is cheap nowadays. In my opinion it is a good option for the OP.
I agree.
by dr_st
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 am
Forum: Pictures of your ThinkPad & desk setup
Topic: Lenovo's last classic Thinkpads tour: T410, X220, T430s *MANY PICTURES*
Replies: 32
Views: 3556

Re: Lenovo's last classic Thinkpads tour: T410, X220, T430s *MANY PICTURES*

I'm familiar with PostImages and registered there. I do like its simplicity, but it does not appear to keep the URL intact. I've uploaded a bunch of images, and it gave them random URLs. Am I missing something?
by dr_st
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 am
Forum: ThinkPad W500/510/520 and W7x0 Series
Topic: My T61 Died need Expert Suggestions to buy a 2nd durble user friendly uprgadeable powerful Ibm Lenovo Laptop
Replies: 42
Views: 2680

Re: My T61 Died need Expert Suggestions to buy a 2nd durble user friendly uprgadeable powerful Ibm Lenovo Laptop

T400 is lightweight, and with P-type CPu and LED LCD still gives pretty nice battery life. Put in an ultrabay battery and you're good to go with cheap, light unit with a decent battery life. Plus, you can upgrade it with IPS screen. Put in an ultrabay battery, and all the weight savings on the smal...
by dr_st
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:10 am
Forum: Pictures of your ThinkPad & desk setup
Topic: Lenovo's last classic Thinkpads tour: T410, X220, T430s *MANY PICTURES*
Replies: 32
Views: 3556

Re: Lenovo's last classic Thinkpads tour: T410, X220, T430s *MANY PICTURES*

I know and I do. :) I plan to move them to a different hosting soon. I am just trying to find one that will not garble the file names, so that I have less manual editing of links to do. Turns out there are not many such free hosting services around! :( In the meanwhile, you can still view the pictur...
by dr_st
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 am
Forum: ThinkPad W500/510/520 and W7x0 Series
Topic: My T61 Died need Expert Suggestions to buy a 2nd durble user friendly uprgadeable powerful Ibm Lenovo Laptop
Replies: 42
Views: 2680

Re: My T61 Died need Expert Suggestions to buy a 2nd durble user friendly uprgadeable powerful Ibm Lenovo Laptop

T400s + 2503 dock w/some old good powerful radeon in it? Cool, quiet and light if needed, powerful when on dock, CHEAP . T400s does not fit the Dock 2503. Only the regular T400 does. Not quite as light as the -s, but still probably the lightest machine that fits the 2503 dock (esp. if you configure...
by dr_st
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 am
Forum: Off-Topic Stuff
Topic: MSFN Site Going Offline 12 August 2017
Replies: 15
Views: 322

Re: MSFN Site Going Offline 12 August 2017

Adblock plus doesn't block everything by default; it's one of the things it tells you as you're setting it up as well. It lets most of the text ads through by default, a few small graphical ads show up occasionally too. :) I guess perhaps it's that "allow non-intrusive advertising" they added? I'm ...
by dr_st
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am
Forum: ThinkPad X200/201/220 and X300/301 Series
Topic: X220 4291-sz6
Replies: 5
Views: 150

Re: X220 4291-sz6

The MTM link shows the details:
http://tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=4291-SZ6

However, it does not say one very important thing - whether the LCD is IPS or not. Unfortunately, Lenovo never made this distinction in their model descriptions.
by dr_st
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 am
Forum: Off-Topic Stuff
Topic: MSFN Site Going Offline 12 August 2017
Replies: 15
Views: 322

Re: MSFN Site Going Offline 12 August 2017

If they'd use less obtrusive/annoying ads they wouldn't be blocked (at least by default) under most circumstances... Unfortunately, that's not true. Adblockers by default block all ads. Many websites with non-intrusive advertisements were being hit just as hard as the worst offenders. In many case,...
by dr_st
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:17 am
Forum: Thinkpad - General HARDWARE/SOFTWARE questions
Topic: Device manager - unknown device
Replies: 20
Views: 491

Re: Device manager - unknown device

Not installing the .NET framework greatly reduces the software compatibility of the system, but if you don't care, then follow the advice to manually locate the drivers based on hardware IDs.
by dr_st
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 am
Forum: ThinkPad X200/201/220 and X300/301 Series
Topic: Upgrading from T440s to X220: pros/cons?
Replies: 6
Views: 235

Re: Upgrading from T440s to X220: pros/cons?

Welcome to the forum. :)

T440s to X220 Tablet is not an upgrade. There are mostly cons, unless you specifically value the keyboard/touchpad or the twist tablet functionality.
by dr_st
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:09 am
Forum: Marketplace - Forum Members only
Topic: Negative feedbacks for traders and Tips for fair trading
Replies: 161
Views: 75032

Re: Negative feedbacks for traders and Tips for fair trading

I'm starting legal actions in a few days. Seems PayPal does not always take the buyer's side just like that, and I'm awaiting their final statement right now. Seems to me that if you ship using any registered, trackable method (which for something as big and expensive as a laptop is almost mandator...
by dr_st
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:30 pm
Forum: ThinkPad T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 Series
Topic: Help/advice needed: T430s Loose hinge?
Replies: 12
Views: 379

Re: Help/advice needed: T430s Loose hinge?

The play in the hinges that is shown in the first video is within the normal expectation. It does not affect how well the hinge holds the lid. It has some play, but it will not collapse on you. I've seen laptops that have this much play, and still require significant force to open the lid in the fir...
by dr_st
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:58 am
Forum: GENERAL ThinkPad News/Comments & Questions
Topic: 3 cell v 4 cell?
Replies: 3
Views: 151

Re: Fallacy.

automobus wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 pm
In practice, this capability was utilised in only Z60t/Z61t and its 7-cell battery (which contains two strings of series-connected cells, 3s + 4s).
Probably in the short-lived T/R61 14" wide 7-cell batteries as well.

How are the 6-cell, 8-cell and 9-cell batteries configured?
by dr_st
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 am
Forum: Off-Topic Stuff
Topic: Your dream keyboard?
Replies: 8
Views: 784

Re: Your dream keyboard?

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:53 pm
For me, Alps Blue or Buckling Spring, and this layout.
Your dream layout does not have a backslash key?
by dr_st
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 am
Forum: Windows 7
Topic: I'm starting to believe in M$ lobby...
Replies: 6
Views: 393

Re: I'm starting to believe in M$ lobby...

Install the various Visual C++ / .NET redistributables.
by dr_st
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 am
Forum: Thinkpad X6x Series incl. X6x Tablet
Topic: HDMI Port is no longer necessary
Replies: 6
Views: 453

Re: HDMI Port is no longer necessary

Everything has nasty vulnerabilities... The main problem with Smart TVs is that they are not as versatile, and ultimately you will find some formats that they cannot play or other glitches. Plus, the web-browsing interface is typically atrocious (unless it can accept an external keyboard/mouse). But...
by dr_st
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:26 pm
Forum: Off-Topic Stuff
Topic: Today, Adobe announced that Flash will no longer be supported after 2020
Replies: 7
Views: 343

Re: Today, Adobe announced that Flash will no longer be supported after 2020

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:05 pm
Well, 3 years before the worlds biggest CPU hog goes down.
It's not like the HTML5-based alternative on popular video sites hogs the CPU any less...
by dr_st
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 am
Forum: Off-Topic Stuff
Topic: Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years
Replies: 14
Views: 405

Re: Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

Opinions are opinions indeed. :) Most of the objection to the Ribbon UI is that it makes things different that what you got used to, which may harm your productivity during the transition period. Beyond that, in most cases the Ribbon UI makes access to common functions simpler and faster.
by dr_st
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:14 am
Forum: Off-Topic Stuff
Topic: Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years
Replies: 14
Views: 405

Re: Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

I use the Vista version of Paint even though I run Windows 7 since the ribbon UI sucks. The Ribbon UI is amazing. MS Paint is here to stay https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay/ Which actually means everything opposite to 'it will stay'. AFAIK, Windows Store does not ...
by dr_st
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:07 pm
Forum: Discussion
Topic: Thinkpadders Rejoice (*LARGE PICS*)
Replies: 1318
Views: 156712

Re: Thinkpadders Rejoice (*LARGE PICS*)

IMHO, just IMHO, the obsession over aspect ratio (Not 16:9!!! Please Oh God not 16:9!!! Anything but 16:9!!!) in this thread has gone beyond lunacy. :??:

Go to advanced search