Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Getting Files into an OS/2 VirtualBox VM

OS/2 on ThinkPads
raywood

Getting Files into an OS/2 VirtualBox VM

#1 Post by raywood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:45 am

This system is running OS/2 4.52 in VirtualBox 6.0.14 on a Windows 10 host. I haven't yet been able to get Guest Additions to work. I have an .exe, downloaded on the host as a .zip, that I would like to get into the VM, so that I can install it there. Without the Guest Additions, this seems to be a challenge:
  • Copy and Paste doesn't work.
  • I tried adding a SATA controller, but VirtualBox seemed to be looking for a VHD, not a physical drive.
  • The VM doesn't seem to recognize USB drives.
  • An attempt to run Netscape within the VM, so as to download the .zip directly into the VM (where I would then figure out some way to extract the .exe), left the VM unable to boot.
  • I don't know the OS/2 command (if any) that would download the .zip directly, without requiring a browser.
Maybe I have to put the .exe into an ISO and mount that? Surely there must be a more direct route.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Getting Files into an OS/2 VirtualBox VM

#2 Post by Neil » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:58 am

File transfer between VirtualBox guest and host is a network connection. File sharing must be enabled on both systems, then files can be shared between the two just like between any other physical computers on the network.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

raywood

#3 Post by raywood » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Thanks for that tip. It inspired a search leading to a VirtualBox forum exchange. There, they say Guest Additions are required for Shared Folders to work. Without the Guest Additions, one of the participants says that, to get files into a DOS guest, "an ISO image is about your only practical option." So I guess I'll try that.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Neil » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:31 am

OK, so this topic is more "How to Install Guest Additions in VirtualBox", than "Getting Files into an OS/2 VirtualBox VM".

Once VirtualBox is install and you have installed a guest OS on VirtualBox, go to the menu bar at the top of VirtualBox, select "Devices" and the last item on the menu list will be "Insert Guest Additions CD Image", choose that option, then go to the CD/DVD drive in the virtual OS and run the installation from there.

In the dozen or so times I've installed virtual systems using VirtualBox, I've never run into an instance where the Guest Additions CD image was not included in the VirtualBox package. Never had to download or transfer files from anywhere to set up Guest Additions. That said, I've never run OS/2 virtualized or otherwise, so there may be differences I'm not aware of.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

micrex22

#5 Post by micrex22 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 pm

VirtualBox *does not* support copying files between a guest and a host--it only supports copying *text* between the two; the fine print is misleading. So--even if you were to try and install a Windows VM you wouldn't be able to copy files from your host to the client :)

Larry Ellison thanks you for using his products.