Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60/p to T61 Frankenpad kit (Free NOS nVidia upgrade)

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T60/p to T61 Frankenpad kit

#31 Post by TuuS » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Just got some more boards in, a few more NOS boards with NVS140m graphics, the rare Intel Penryn board, and a couple extreme rarities, the illusive 43y9046 which is the replacement for 42w7650 with FX570m graphics used in 2008-2010, plus...

The holy grail of frankenpadding, an NOS (penryn) board with FX570m graphics and a GPU production date of 2010.

More info to be added soon, or you can PM me for the latest word on what's available.
Last edited by TuuS on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Medessec
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#32 Post by Medessec » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:32 pm

Good god.

I wonder who will pick that up. It's a truly amazing piece, and it'll mean the absolute best 4:3 laptop anywhere with dedicated graphics.

Quite mouth-watering indeed... I would have loved to have it- but I need to pull the plug on my over-spending perfectionism. I really hope it goes to a genuinely good home.

I know people already have an idea of how much better the FX570M is over the NVS 140M, but you guys need to understand- the knowledge that you have that power, AND a UXGA screen, minus the absolute fear that you have to tread thin ice with your GPU(leave it on, reduce thermal cycling, etc.) or worry about your laptop someday giving the one beep-two short beep code, it's absolutely amazing and worth it all the way.
Trying my hardest to collect Thinkpads, but college and being broke kinda gets in the way. However...
701C, 760, 770, X24, T30, G41, A31p, T43p, T60/61 Frankie, Z61p, X60 SXGA+, W700ds
MEDESSEC

and yes. I am a bit of a lunatic.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#33 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 am

TuuS wrote: The holy grail of frankenpadding, an NOS board with FX570m graphics and a GPU production date of 2010.
Oh my...

Had I known that you'd be getting one of those I would've waited with the build that is now completed and I'm not about to rip it apart...

Well, I guess it's someone else's turn to get lucky with one of these rare birds...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

tEd:P

#34 Post by tEd:P » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 pm

HOLY GRAIL, BATMAN. Still there? PM now.
surfing Flash-lessly, sinking through leaner/lighter Linux distros on a Socket-A desktop while the T43p (2668-Q1U) takes a Time Out for chewing on its own fan...

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#35 Post by TuuS » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:06 am

tEd:P wrote:HOLY GRAIL, BATMAN. Still there? PM now.
Yes, I have a couple of these NOS boards available with late 2010 dated gpu and FX570m graphics. I've been searching for these for years and until this month I've only been able to find one. These are the rarest of the rare.

Photos added

Box
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 9b0c36.jpg

open box
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 731606.jpg

open box 2
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 3278a4.jpg

board in box
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... b6f930.jpg

fru number
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 2f2274.jpg

GPU chip (sorry this photo is a bit blurry)
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... b3940e.jpg

I'll try to take a better gpu pic again, it's difficult without a flash as the slightest camera movement cause the photo to blur and using a flash would render the numbers unreadable due to reflection.

CanadianDude
Sophomore Member

#36 Post by CanadianDude » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Wow, literally the holy grail. If I were you I would keep these boards and build 2 of the rarest Frankenpads on the planet.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#37 Post by TuuS » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:15 pm

CanadianDude wrote:Wow, literally the holy grail. If I were you I would keep these boards and build 2 of the rarest Frankenpads on the planet.
Thanks my Canadian friend :) I'll surely be keeping one of these for myself but I'm happy to provide these to forum members who want the rarest of the frankenpad boards and if you'd like to build one yourself shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.

coleridge

#38 Post by coleridge » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi, I am interested in a kit. My T60P, 15', 2623-DDU, 1600x1200 IPS, motherboard just died. And would like to know my options with the parts you have. Sent you a PM, but not sure it went through.
Thanks.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#39 Post by TuuS » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:34 am

coleridge wrote:Hi, I am interested in a kit. My T60P, 15', 2623-DDU, 1600x1200 IPS, motherboard just died. And would like to know my options with the parts you have. Sent you a PM, but not sure it went through.
Thanks.
I got your PM and replied, but it's been sitting in my "outbox" for some time now and doesn't look like you've read it. Let me know if you need me to resend it.

PatrickJ

#40 Post by PatrickJ » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 pm

I just came across this thread and it got my attention. I have a T60P that I've been happy with for 5/6 years. Recently I decided to install Win 8 (dual boot with Linux Mint) and to update my systems. However I've run into a few problems that force me to consider either h/w upgrade or replacement.

I'm trying to run some Photo software (NIK Collection) that appears to be incompatible with my graphics card (ATI 5200). Some other software requires open gl 2.1 support - beyond my current h/w capabilities. Being able to add more memory would also help.

I hate to replace working devices/computers - so would a Frankenpad upgrade work for me?. If not I'd be interested to hear alternative upgrade suggestions re Thinkpad replacement.

TIA,
Patrick

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#41 Post by TuuS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Patrick, it sounds like a T61 conversion would be ideal for you.

I'll send you a PM with some more information.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#42 Post by TuuS » Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 am

I still have a couple NOS boards available and some nice cpu options including some NOS penryn chips. Anything from a budget frankenpad conversion to a monster ultimate frankenpad with all the best parts.

louiek

#43 Post by louiek » Mon May 11, 2015 1:40 am

Hi, I was wondering whether you have a 15" UXGA IPS panel with the converter for my T60 (1951-37U).

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#44 Post by TuuS » Mon May 11, 2015 1:51 am

louiek wrote:Hi, I was wondering whether you have a 15" UXGA IPS panel with the converter for my T60 (1951-37U).
I think I may have one sxga+ screen left or if you only want uxga I'll see what I can do.

pete_h

#45 Post by pete_h » Mon May 18, 2015 1:25 am

Tuus,

First, huge thanks for making these kits available and offering tech support -- very awesome of you!
Two quick q's: I have a T60p that I'm quite satisfied with overall (2007YS3, T7600/2.33 GHz, 3GB RAM, ATI RV530/IPS SXGA+, 250GB/7200rpm Hitachi HDD, running Linux Mint 17 Xfce 32bit). However lately I've gotten slightly annoyed by the 3 GB RAM limitation as well as the CPU performance in some instances (though the latter mainly arises when I have many progs open at once or e.g. am reading a large, graphics-intensive pdf file).

So, 1) In your objective opinion, would it be worthwhile upgrading this machine to a T601f? I.e., do you think the CPU/RAM enhancements in particular would provide enough of a performance enhancement to justify the time/$? I know this largely depends on a user's prefs, but it would be nice to get your insights if you (or anyone else reading) have faced a similar situation.
2) If the answer to above is a fairly definite yes, then (assuming you still have some nice frankenpad kits left) what's the best kit you'd recommend in this case? Fyi, I'd rather avoid the potential nvidia GPU problem, although if that's the only option currently available I'd be open to it, esp. if it's a post-2008 chip etc.
Oh, and lastly: I have relatively little experience with hardware mods, and almost nothing at this major level (mobo replacement). Given this and the above factors, please let me know your objective opinion about this.

...Again, many thanks!
-P

pete_h

#46 Post by pete_h » Mon May 18, 2015 1:31 am

Btw (Tuus or anyone else): I'd also be willing to buy a pre-made T601f if there's one available that would, again, be a substantial improvement over my current machine (a grade-A refurbished machine which I just bought last year). I've briefly browsed the marketplace on this forum, but so far nothing jumps out...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#47 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon May 18, 2015 7:20 am

@pete_h:
There's a great T601FL for sale by forum member rumbero: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=117049

Alternatively, I have built probably close to a hundred Frankies by now, and one or two will come up for sale in the near future.
PM me if/when interested.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#48 Post by TuuS » Mon May 18, 2015 7:55 am

pete_h wrote:Tuus,

First, huge thanks for making these kits available and offering tech support -- very awesome of you!
Two quick q's: I have a T60p that I'm quite satisfied with overall (2007YS3, T7600/2.33 GHz, 3GB RAM, ATI RV530/IPS SXGA+, 250GB/7200rpm Hitachi HDD, running Linux Mint 17 Xfce 32bit). However lately I've gotten slightly annoyed by the 3 GB RAM limitation as well as the CPU performance in some instances (though the latter mainly arises when I have many progs open at once or e.g. am reading a large, graphics-intensive pdf file).

So, 1) In your objective opinion, would it be worthwhile upgrading this machine to a T601f? I.e., do you think the CPU/RAM enhancements in particular would provide enough of a performance enhancement to justify the time/$? I know this largely depends on a user's prefs, but it would be nice to get your insights if you (or anyone else reading) have faced a similar situation.
2) If the answer to above is a fairly definite yes, then (assuming you still have some nice frankenpad kits left) what's the best kit you'd recommend in this case? Fyi, I'd rather avoid the potential nvidia GPU problem, although if that's the only option currently available I'd be open to it, esp. if it's a post-2008 chip etc.
Oh, and lastly: I have relatively little experience with hardware mods, and almost nothing at this major level (mobo replacement). Given this and the above factors, please let me know your objective opinion about this.

...Again, many thanks!
-P
Hi,

Yes, I definitely think the advantages would be worth the upgrade. Your system sounds like it's running out of ram and forced to use pagefile (virtual memory). The T61 series supports upto 8gb, but you can also greatly increase the performance of your virtual memory by using an SSD and with the T61 motherboard the SSD will run upto twice as fast. CPU is probably less of a problem for you, but the T61 allows for faster and cooler running more efficient cpu chips so that too is an advantage.

I have virtually all options available to put together a kit for you. The modifications are pretty easy to do and lenovo has videos on swapping mother boards. Many people enjoy the pride knowing they have done it themselves, but as RBS has pointed out there are options to buy one that is "turn key" ready if that is what you prefer.

You're welcome to send me a PM if you'd like to discuss the option of building one yourself.

pete_h

#49 Post by pete_h » Mon May 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Tuus and RBS,
Thanks very much for your helpful replies. Hmm, reading all the enthusiastic comments about T601F's on this forum definitely inspires me to build one myself...But given my time constraints I'm also tempted to buy a pre-made one based on the rave reviews of those too! So ultimately I might actually decide to go both routes. :) Might first try the self-build using a Tuus kit, while waiting to see what RBS concocts...

Tuus - I'll PM you soon to discuss the kit specs I'm thinking about. As I mentioned I'd definitely prefer to avoid the pre-2008 nVidia GPUs, but the main thing I'm considering is whether to opt for the X9000 vs. T9300 CPU. I've checked out both their specs at cpubenchmark.net and cpuboss.com and looks like there wouldn't be a huge difference (if anyone reading has a different opinion please let me know). Fyi, I forgot to mention that I actually have several base T60p units to work with, i.e. frankenpadize. :)

RBS - I'll definitely keep an eye out for any marketplace FS listings you post in the future for such a machine and will PM you if interested...

Thanks again,
P

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#50 Post by TuuS » Tue May 19, 2015 12:58 am

I can provide you with Intel board, arugably one of the most reliable thinkpad boards every made, or an extremely rare NOS board in original IBM box with new GPU chip. As far as I know I'm the only person to have these available. They are more costly, but since the updated chip was never used in a 4:3 unit, it's the only way to get one. The supply from ibm/lenovo was exhausted years ago and the ones I got were supplied to corporate customers by ibm to assure product loyality. There are only a few left and the odds of more surfacing are virtually nil. As for cpu options, I do have an X9000 that was pulled from a corporate laptop after testing, it's risky to get one of these from an unknown source because they were the targets of those who overclock for sport and they tend to dump the chips after they begin to become unstable. The advantage to the X9000 is that the multiplier is unlocked, and the base clock speed is the fastest in this series. The T9300 is the most cost effective if you want power, or the T8300 offers good performance while drawing less power and lower temps and the nearly identical T8100 offers the most efficient of the penryn cpu chips at a very affordable price. If you're only considering performance, than the chips you mentioned are two very good options.

pete_h

#51 Post by pete_h » Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks! Ok, one more public q: I noticed that some users (e.g. RMSMajestic) have a 15" 4:3 frankie with a >800 MHz FSB cpu (QX9300 in RMS's case...wow!). Is this type of mod also available via your kits, or is that beyond their scope?

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#52 Post by TuuS » Tue May 19, 2015 11:09 am

pete_h wrote:Thanks! Ok, one more public q: I noticed that some users (e.g. RMSMajestic) have a 15" 4:3 frankie with a >800 MHz FSB cpu (QX9300 in RMS's case...wow!). Is this type of mod also available via your kits, or is that beyond their scope?
It is possible to force one of these boards to run at 1066mhz FSB, but doing so means the ram needs to be reflashed to run at a higher speed (overclocked) and also introduces risks. I wouldn't recommend any novice attempt this and also consider that you'd end up with a laptop that cannot be repaired with standard off the shelf parts. In my opinion there isn't enough to be gained to make this worthwhile, but if you want such a laptop there are others that have sold them here and may be again. Use of non-standard parts or even the X9000 cpu should only be done by those who don't mind constantly monitoring and tinkering with things, but a properly built frankenpad using standard parts requires no more or less maintenance than any other thinkpad of this era.

Of course other opinions my differ

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#53 Post by ajkula66 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:29 pm

TuuS wrote: It is possible to force one of these boards to run at 1066mhz FSB, but doing so means the ram needs to be reflashed to run at a higher speed (overclocked) and also introduces risks. I wouldn't recommend any novice attempt this and also consider that you'd end up with a laptop that cannot be repaired with standard off the shelf parts. In my opinion there isn't enough to be gained to make this worthwhile, but if you want such a laptop there are others that have sold them here and may be again. Use of non-standard parts or even the X9000 cpu should only be done by those who don't mind constantly monitoring and tinkering with things, but a properly built frankenpad using standard parts requires no more or less maintenance than any other thinkpad of this era.
+1 and then some.

If I were building a FrankenPad of this nature for myself nowadays, I'd stick with T9300 and choose the planar depending on whether I was interested in gaming/graphics work (nVidia) or office applications (Intel).

Having experienced just about any/every combination of screen/planar/CPU on these systems I'd likely build an Intel-based system, but that's me.

The LCD is the key, really. Hydis LED is tough to find, and even tougher to beat.

My $0.02 only...

Cheers,

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#54 Post by TuuS » Tue May 19, 2015 9:56 pm

ajkula66 wrote:If I were building a FrankenPad of this nature for myself nowadays, I'd stick with T9300 and choose the planar depending on whether I was interested in gaming/graphics work (nVidia) or office applications (Intel).

Having experienced just about any/every combination of screen/planar/CPU on these systems I'd likely build an Intel-based system, but that's me.
Very wise statements. In my opinion if I was building a frankenpad with performance in mind I would go with nVidia graphics, even with the risk of failure. It's not the end of the world if your motherboard fails, and considering that there are still a couple new NOS boards available with 2010 GPU chips, you should get a reasonable life expectancy, but if you aren't going to be using any apps that require a dedicated gpu, then the cool and efficient Intel gpu is hard to beat and they are virtually indestructible. Other than liquid spills or serious power surges it's rare to see an Intel board fail. Each option has it's advantages.

pete_h

#55 Post by pete_h » Thu May 21, 2015 5:19 pm

TuuS wrote:
ajkula66 wrote:If I were building a FrankenPad of this nature for myself nowadays, I'd stick with T9300 and choose the planar depending on whether I was interested in gaming/graphics work (nVidia) or office applications (Intel).

Very wise statements. In my opinion if I was building a frankenpad with performance in mind I would go with nVidia graphics, even with the risk of failure. It's not the end of the world if your motherboard fails, and considering that there are still a couple new NOS boards available with 2010 GPU chips, you should get a reasonable life expectancy, but if you aren't going to be using any apps that require a dedicated gpu, then the cool and efficient Intel gpu is hard to beat and they are virtually indestructible. Other than liquid spills or serious power surges it's rare to see an Intel board fail. Each option has it's advantages.
Many thanks George and Tuus for your helpful comments. Because I'm planning to continue using this as my primary machine when working from home, I need it to be at least as reliable and durable as my current machine. So, I'm leaning toward an Intel gpu and T9300 cpu. (Tuus - I've PM'd you just now to request cost quotes for a kit.)

louiek

#56 Post by louiek » Sat May 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Many thanks George and Tuus for your helpful comments. Because I'm planning to continue using this as my primary machine when working from home, I need it to be at least as reliable and durable as my current machine. So, I'm leaning toward an Intel gpu and T9300 cpu. (Tuus - I've PM'd you just now to request cost quotes for a kit.)
On top of reliable and durable, I think you will not be disappointed with the graphics potential. Having just started my Frankenpad build, I tested the T61 intel board with an external GPU setup (Nvidia GTX 750Ti over expresscard) and it works plug and play getting respectable DirectX11 benchmark scores. I think you (and myself included) will not be disappointed with using a T601 in the year 2015 :).

pete_h

#57 Post by pete_h » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Well, I'm very happy to say that as of yesterday I'm a new member of the self-built T601F frankenpad club! :D Special thanks to TuuS for all his helpful tips and, of course, the kit. (TuuS - the saw blade you kindly provided did the trick on the modem mount too :) ) One thing that caused it to take more time than I probably needed was keeping track of all the screws! Next time I might do it more systematically, e.g. by some sort of labeling of the screws...Still, it was well worth it!

Here are the frankie's basic specs: 15" t60p frame w/lovely 1400x1050 IPS screen and NMB keyboard | t60p mobo-->t61 4:3 mobo w/intel gpu | t7600 cpu-->t9300 | 3gb ram-->6 or 8*
*haven't decided on the ram yet...might spread the wealth of the three 4gb ddr2 sticks I have (I'm now seriously thinking of the next frankie project using 1 of the 2 other t60p's I own!)

I noticed a substantial difference already in various benchmarks available on linux mint (e.g. the cpu n-queens test showed a huge improvement). Just wondering, has anyone found a significant difference when using the t9500 for these builds instead of t9300 (w.r.t. cpu temps besides just speed)?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#58 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:35 pm

pete_h wrote: Just wondering, has anyone found a significant difference when using the t9500 for these builds instead of t9300 (w.r.t. cpu temps besides just speed)?
I've never ran these "head to head" but will say that for quite some time I've had very similar systems that were powered by T9300 and X9000 respectively and the difference in daily use was non-existent. The latter ran a bit warmer, but not by a huge margin.

Now, start unlocking the X9000 and the picture changes dramatically but...T9300 vs. T9500 makes zero difference on all levels in my experience.

Cheers,

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#59 Post by TuuS » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:09 pm

pete_h wrote:Well, I'm very happy to say that as of yesterday I'm a new member of the self-built T601F frankenpad club!
Congrats! it's always a good day when a new frankenpad is born :)

As for cpu choice, for temp and efficiency you can't beat the T8100/T8300, for performance and multitasking the T9300 or T9500 are the way to go. Most people can't feel any difference between the two, the two chips are build on the same die with only a 0.1ghz clock speed difference. One of the advantages to the T9300 is they were common on corporate laptops, the t9500 was mostly a special order option and many of them were purchased by gamers and overclockers so you have to be careful where you get one.

Very glad to know you are pleased with the outcome and if you would like to build more I'd be happy to supply the parts again.

Also glad the hacksaw blade got the job done. I usually use a dremel, but as you've experienced it's pretty easy to do by hand and it was perfect timing since I had just picked up an assortment of blades for some plumbing work I'm doing, so that worked out well.

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#60 Post by jronald » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi Tuus
Wanted to make sure you saw the "donation"

Also my sons T61 is BSODing (darn it) Im working through drivers, but suspect the GPU its a TYPE 7663-A34.

Whats an Intel board going to run me?

Thanks
Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's