Seller of refurbished or new batteries for a T61?

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
portsample
Freshman Member

Seller of refurbished or new batteries for a T61?

#1 Post by portsample » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm looking to pick up a couple of the standard sized (6-cell, FRU-42T4504) batteries for my 14.1" standard screen T-61.
Who is a good online source for these? Refurbished units with new cells would be fine. Thanks.
T61, 14.1", T9500 2.6ghz, Intel GM965, 8gb RAM, 250gb SSD, 1tb SATA Ubay, openSuse 42.3/Win8
T61, 14.1", X9000 2.8ghz, Intel GM965, 8gb RAM, 250gb SSD, 1tb SATA Ubay, openSuse 42.2/Win8
X61, T7300 2.0 ghz, 4gb RAM, 250gb, openSuse 13.2/Win8
Using T60, T42, T30 as shop terminals

TuuS
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Seller of refurbished or new batteries for a T61?

#2 Post by TuuS » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 pm

I think I have a few good used batteries ranging from $25 to $50 if you are interested. If you are buying aftermarket or "rebuilt" batteries there is considerable risk, so a good used battery is often the best option and even the cheaper ones will read as good "green". If interested send me a PM and I'll see what is available.

ps. If you decide to buy a remanufactured or generic battery, make sure it's been properly inspected by the proper regulatory agencies to assure you don't get one that could cause a fire, because unfortunately the new "free trade" laws enable bootleg batteries to enter your country without passing the safety standards testing. Sadly, without the proper working safety standards in place, if a Lithium battery overheats and catches fire it could burn a house down. I learned this lesson and was lucky that I got off with just a burn mark in my carpet, but could have cost me my home and lives of my children because I purchased attractively priced batteries from china. I now only use genuine batteries and when setting the charge thresholds properly, they can last 10 years or longer. If you attempt shortcuts like unbranded generics or "remanufactured" batteries, be careful not to leave the laptop plugged in when you aren't in the room.

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by brchan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:14 pm

You may be still able to find new T/W500 batteries on eBay. I have had no issues running one in my T61 or T60.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53

TuuS
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by TuuS » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:03 am

If buying batteries on ebay, be very careful of fake (knock-offs). I've seen many fakes claiming to be genuine, and if they will fake the manufacturer logo, they will also fake the certifications. One I purchased showed a picture of a genuine lenovo battery, listed manufacturer as Lenovo, but sent me one with chinese writing on it, no manufacture I could identify, and some english with poor grammar including the bold text "REPLACE THINKPAD", which I'm guessing is what you'd need to do if you try installing it lol Also, no RoHS or UL labs certifications.

When a company like China exports batteries, it's required to show proof of compliance, but thanks to ebay (and similar sites) they can be shipped in small quantities bypassing this process, usually incorrectly identified on the customs papers.