Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What to replace W530?

General Questions, Rumors, Real news & More
hellosailor

What to replace W530?

#1 Post by hellosailor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:49 pm

With hours of help from MS support, I hosed my computer instead of fixing some software problems. So faced with spending a week trying to recover or restore it, or a day restoring a backup that still won't have the problems fixed, I'm thinking of replacing it.

Question is, what would have an uncompromised list of equipment?
Fast i7 core.
8gb of ram is enough
SSD 1tb would do, I'd swap in my 2tb
1920x1280 hi res screen, fast graphics
TRACKPOINT
FINGERPRINT READER
Two conventional hd bays, one sled is ok
Bt and WiFi of course, preferably better stronger WiFi option
Larger or long battery life
Win10 not home edition

And a better audio system would be nice but not essential.

What systems does that point me toward? Especially if I wanted one in days, not a month?

I would do my own homework online, but it has been a long day about to become a long week and that computer of mine, is down. Solid down.

Red

Moderator edit: Thread moved from (initially, incorrectly) being posted in the Marketplace.
"The only good silicon life form, is a dead silicon life form." [Will Rogers]
-- Harboring a retired T61P with Vista/U/32 and housebreaking a younger W530 foolishly upgraded from Win7/64 to Win10.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: What to replace W530?

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:39 pm

There is nothing on the market right now that can do better than your W530. Your machine suits you perfectly, its meets your requirements, isnt very old, and is perfectly capable. Just fux your software and you will be on your merry way. Any new i7 will perform the same if not worse but with better battery life. Regardless of new CPUs, its an Ivy Bridge CPU, not some C2Q and becausr of that its pretty good for power management.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

hellosailor

#3 Post by hellosailor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 pm

If I need to buy a retail OS, since the upgrade install is buggy and can't be fixed (me support finally hosed the machine), it will take a week to reload everything and run updates. Don't ask, take that as gospel. And if I'm going to invest that time, it won't be on 6 year old hardware, there are some new features besides club's.

Sometimes, you just need to focus on the question that has been asked, rather than investigating every premise that has intentionally not been given to you.

Focus.

T570 and P51 seem to be the machines, with P51 having an express card option that will make it the better option. No, you don't need to know why I can use that, either.
-- Harboring a retired T61P with Vista/U/32 and housebreaking a younger W530 foolishly upgraded from Win7/64 to Win10.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 am

Your signature says it all: housebreaking a younger W530 foolishly upgraded from Win7/64 to Win10.
If you have done your homework, you SHOULD have (a few) backups of your W7 from before W10 $hafted you.
If so, reload and off you go.
Alternative: drop Micro$haft altogether and embrace Linux (Mint or Zorin).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

hellosailor

#5 Post by hellosailor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:09 pm

darn, Blackie. I had higher hopes for you.
The upgrade was foolish, and yes, I did have a W7 clone if the drive as well as backups, so I was able to get started again and fix the mistake that MS made, which hosed the system. Except of course, since the presence of an identical drive signature (to the clone/original boot drive on the same system) prevents a drive from being accessed, I had to do the repair on a different computer. So good to know that MS still finds way to kneecap simple repairs.

Anyway...it is running with WIn10 repaired again, and it probably will get put back to being a Win7 system, perhaps even Win7/32 instead to allow the Thunker to be of use. Although there are some nice ways to use VM's and VHD's to run verbotten OSes on the 7/64 systems as well.

If I replace this system with a new primary, that allows me more freedom to explore those, and migrate my older system to the 530 in the form of VHD's or similar.

In the days of NT4 I knew the system well enough to deal with these things at the most intimate levels. Got tired of learning where the new furniture was in NT5, but having washed my hands of it all...

I can tell you from many years working and playing with Unix system admins and Linux fans, those OSes are no panacea either. Chug down some mustard and salt water, it will help you puke up the KoolAide. There's *no* decent OS out there. Apple pretends they're invulnerable virgins, but under the rugs they've got more than their share of dead bodies. (See the last 20 years of Carnegie Mellon CERT advisories to confirm that.) And *NIX? Doesn't matter which version you play with, you are expected to either BE or have a sysadmin to make it all work for you. Linux has gotten better...after what is it now, 60+ years of *NIX fans saying it will take over the world?

But even in the guise of Android, Linux still has an equal share of bugs. And even better, you can't take any one of them (Apple, Unix, Linux) into the business world and simply sit down at a desk and use it. MS is how the world turns, if you want to play the game, you have to deal with that.

If you want a real OS....fall back to CPM.(VBG)

Ain't my first rodeo, even if I have mercifully forgotten how to program in Fortran or whether it was an AS400 or 600 that I uses to play with.

I expect my antique 8 core (8 real cores) 2.4G i7 will still seem peppy compared to the newer CPUs, but a new system gives me the choice of a touchscreen or the 20% brighter UHD display (bright is nice). Gives me USB-C and Thunderfutz, no more bogus errors when a device plugs into the "USB-3-ish" port that really can't supply USB3 power. Gives me hardware that will have some driver support, as Lenono has orphaned this one. The new girl in town always has some nice teases. I might or might not pull the trigger, no urgent hurry. But I don't see any reasons to put off an upgrade (like, 8nm chip technology coming online in September) and I don't want to have security support and patches cut off for my computer. Win7 has been tombstoned, WIn10 has been more or less stabilized.

Time to look at the options. Or whether any other vendor makes an equally tempting machine. Trackpoint being non-negotiable, so the field really gets slimmed down.

mpcook
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by mpcook » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 am

There is a very nicely appointed W520 for sale on this board, one of the last great ThinkPads. You would not be disappointed.
Current: 2 x W520 ET, 2 x X220 i7, T420, X230 i5, T420s, MacbookPro, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Dell XPS 8930, X1 Yoga 3GEN
Past: IBM5150-8088 500 600E 600X T20 T21 5xT23 X30 3xX31 X32 T40 T42 3xT43 T43p SL510 T60p X60T X60s T61 2xT400 T410si T400s T500-3.06GHz X200 X201 X220i5 X220i7 2xT420s

Ibthink

#7 Post by Ibthink » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 am

As for new systems, a P50 or P51 would be an great replacement of the W530. I use a P51 as my main machine and I love it - wonderful keyboard, quality 4K screen, solid-as-a-rock build. I can only recommend it, if you have the funds to acquire one, of course.
IBM ThinkPad R50e | lenovo ThinkPad X301 | lenovo ThinkPad Z61t