Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WTB: upgraded x61 display

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
tronus

WTB: upgraded x61 display

#1 Post by tronus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi all,

I have a 2.4ghz x61 that I LOVE but I'd really like a better screen for this thing.

Not sure what all the options are that are out there but I figured maybe I could find some sellers and learn a thing or two in the meantime. I don't know if I can handle the modification myself.

Thanks for your help!

jaspen-meyer

Re: WTB: upgraded x61 display

#2 Post by jaspen-meyer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:17 pm

tronus wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:10 pm
Hi all,

I have a 2.4ghz x61 that I LOVE but I'd really like a better screen for this thing.

Not sure what all the options are that are out there but I figured maybe I could find some sellers and learn a thing or two in the meantime. I don't know if I can handle the modification myself.

Thanks for your help!
replacing your screen's light is one way to upgrade. Here's a side by side comparisson:
https://www.jesseo.com/kites/x61-vs-x61-led-mod.jpg
and a how to:
https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/think ... anel.shtml
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

tronus

#3 Post by tronus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 pm

I've checked that out a couple of times actually. If I were to do that, I'd like a fresh screen with not white spots before going through all of that.

Have you ever performed this mod? Is there a place just to buy fresh/new standard x61 screens?

jaspen-meyer

#4 Post by jaspen-meyer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 am

tronus wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 pm
Have you ever performed this mod? Is there a place just to buy fresh/new standard x61 screens?
Yes, I've performed the mod on 10 machines. The photo shows one of these.

There is another mod available: using a screen from either an x60t or x61t, removing it's mounting tabs, modifying it's lcd cable, installing bios from either the x6x tablet, or Middleton's modified bios. The advantage of these displays are their higher contrast and 'better' colors.

Yes, there are places to 'buy fresh/new standard screens'. The hitch is, all of the original screens for these machines are something less than stellar - though still an improvement over your current screen. One typical original screen is model "LTN121XJ-L07". Search around using that model number and you'll find sellers.

As an aside, an interim fix is to calibrate your display using a colorimeter and https://displaycal.net/. Calibration is, basically, sticking a device, which looks like a computer mouse, onto the screen to reads colors. Then you run a program, such as dispcalgui, which feeds it colors. Program runs for 5-50 minutes. This process outputs a data file (*.icc) correlating intended color output with actual color output and which you feed to your operating system. The result is improved contrast and color representation. Professional graphic designers often own a coloimeter and you can ask them for help. Or, just to dabble, you can try some of the x6x icc files from my machines, available here https://www.jesseo.com/calibration/
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

tronus

#5 Post by tronus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:57 pm

Was the mod really hard to do? If I take my time and follow the instructions (for the led daylight kit) is it fairly straightforward? I've read through the instructions a few times over the past couple months. I'm afraid to give it a go but I'm fairly handy so I think I could take a stab at it... i dunno

The second mod you mentioned seems very hard and I've read the thread on here full of nightmare stories lol :)

Thanks for the heads up about the color profiles! I tried some from the link you sent me and found some on another site full of ICC profiles. I ended up finding one that made text easier to look at. The colors are a little bit less washed out over all. I can better see the color differences between subtle shaded boxes around blocks of texts on websites... compared to the white background. Little things like that.
jaspen-meyer wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 am
tronus wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 pm
Yes, I've performed the mod on 10 machines. The photo shows one of these.

There is another mod available: using a screen from either an x60t or x61t, removing it's mounting tabs, modifying it's lcd cable, installing bios from either the x6x tablet, or Middleton's modified bios. The advantage of these displays are their higher contrast and 'better' colors.

Yes, there are places to 'buy fresh/new standard screens'. The hitch is, all of the original screens for these machines are something less than stellar - though still an improvement over your current screen. One typical original screen is model "LTN121XJ-L07". Search around using that model number and you'll find sellers.

As an aside, an interim fix is to calibrate your display using a colorimeter and https://displaycal.net/. Calibration is, basically, sticking a device, which looks like a computer mouse, onto the screen to reads colors. Then you run a program, such as dispcalgui, which feeds it colors. Program runs for 5-50 minutes. This process outputs a data file (*.icc) correlating intended color output with actual color output and which you feed to your operating system. The result is improved contrast and color representation. Professional graphic designers often own a coloimeter and you can ask them for help. Or, just to dabble, you can try some of the x6x icc files from my machines, available here https://www.jesseo.com/calibration/

jaspen-meyer

#6 Post by jaspen-meyer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Yes, it is straight forward. Follow the instructions, to the letter. Be patient and gentle.

The x61 screen is simple. The tablet screens are a hassle.

If you find you don't have the right sized screw drivers, best to stop and get the correct size.

fatpolomanjr
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by fatpolomanjr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:18 pm

The trickiest part is cutting the plastic tab from which you pull out the ccfl lamp. It's really just two snips with a jewelry cutter then a peeling back of the plastic. Followed by a third snip.
T70 | 15" UXGA LED with RealBlackStuff LED-Cable-Mod | i7-7700HQ | Windows 10
X62 | 12.1" SXGA+ Xiphmont LED | i7-5500U | Xubuntu / Windows 10
T61F | 14.1" SXGA+ Xiphmont LED | T9500 | Windows 10

tronus

#8 Post by tronus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 pm

If I got a hold of an affs screen and a convert cable for it, is that all I'd need to upgrade the display myself? Or would that require the same hacking as retrofitting an old sxga or ips display into it?

jaspen-meyer

#9 Post by jaspen-meyer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:46 am

tronus wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 pm
If I got a hold of an affs screen and a convert cable for it, is that all I'd need to upgrade the display myself? Or would that require the same hacking as retrofitting an old sxga or ips display into it?
Same hacking, of which there's a pictorial on the German thinkwiki site:
http://thinkwiki.de/(X6x)_SXGA%2B-Display_nachrüsten

Also needs to upgrade your bios.