Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WTB IBM PC110

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
kishy

WTB IBM PC110

#1 Post by kishy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:38 am

Oh yes, this subject. Everyone's favourite pipe dream.

I am interested in acquiring an IBM PC110 in working order. For the right price (right for me, surely wrong for you) I'd consider a broken unit and deal with trying to rehabilitate it myself, depending on exactly what is broken about it.

Preferably it would be equipped with some sort of RAM upgrade and storage. Accessories such as the dock and floppy drive would be highly prized as well.

I will gladly buy one direct from Japan if anyone can point me to one. I am really not enthusiastic about paying the price premium these demand once they have already landed in North America. The only recent one on Yahoo Auctions was damaged to the point of essentially being e-waste.

Please send me a PM if you can assist or make any suggestions, short of traveling to Japan and scouring every second-hand shop in the country.

I prefer to pay by PayPal (making currency relatively irrelevant) and have shipping addresses in both the US and Canada. A shipment from any country outside of the US would be shipped to the Canadian address.

I am seeking one until I come back and say that I'm not anymore, so if I haven't said that yet, this post is still current.

My end goal is a PC110 or a reasonably equipped Pentium Libretto...these machines don't directly compare for obvious spec difference reasons, but it's going to be one or the other, most likely not both.
PC 110 | 760E SVGA | 760E XGA | 235 | 600 | T21 | Z60m | T520 | W520 (dd) | T430 | T530

madicetea

Re: WTB IBM PC110

#2 Post by madicetea » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi.

I am the owner of a PC110 and have made some trips in very recent times to a lot of the supposed second-hand stores in Akihabara.

I only found one IBM-era computer there: the R60e which I am typing this response on (although I have made some upgrades to it, including removing Japanese XP and putting in a new hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate, changing the BIOS, RAM, and might even change the CPU if I decide to keep this computer).

So let's make one thing clear - the average second-hand 'family-run' (commercial ones will refuse to even take a PC110) electronics store does not have it.

Another problem that I cannot find a solution to: the screen. Mine came with this ugly yellow halo that made it impossible to see a thing. It was shot. I've found some other small screens in Akihabara, specifically at a specialty LCD shop, but I do not know if it will be compatible (I don't think it can be). Mine used a Citizen screen model L6481L-FF that even Chinese Taobao sellers don't carry in stock anymore (however, it may be worth noting that there are other companies with the same model screen). Hence, I've actually removed the screen off mine and use it with the base dock to run Windows 3.1 from a PCMCIA card with a 20MB Flash Card to run with a VGA cable to an external monitor. This solution actually works decently well, though I do keep the old parts that I removed the screen with, just in case I actually do find a replacement screen (or in case someone like you says "All good mate, I'll just look in Canada for a replacement screen??" [yeah right :P ])

I even received the camera battery that supposedly works with this computer, but do not know how to re-cell a LiON battery. So my battery is still dead and have to use the charger instead.

The Cannon PCMCIA camera is an even bigger pipe dream - one has been spotted in the last five years on Japanese marketplaces and its whereabouts (and whether or not the other party is willing to give it up) is unknown.

I am lucky enough to have most the original books (guidebook and the common Japanese manual books by other publishers as well).

I would give up my entire set of stuff at 200 dollars US to my PayPal and shipping, but as you said 'the right price may not be your right price' so throw me an offer I can't refuse. Oh, that, and I don't think I would be able to ship until early April, unless you respond really fast and I can have it out to post office within the next 24 hours.

(If you do express interest, I'll do a quick video on it, as I've been doing a video series on the Thinkpads that pass by me. It'll be public on YouTube, but will not mention any specific names, if you don't mind that.)

P.S. As the location implies, I'm in Tokyo, Japan. I'd be shipping to your Canadian address from here.
MadIceTea, Thinkpad Enthusiast

Daily: X250 FHD
Museum: PC110 20MB, X61 T9300 SXGA+ LED
Donated: x2001 AFFS i5-530 (to my alma matter)
Past: 701Cs German, 535/X, 760E/XL, i-series 12/14xx, piano s30, R60e, X60, X61, T60, T61, X200 P8700, X121e

That chicken sure looks funny.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:07 pm

FYI: The R60e was manufactured my Lenovo despite its IBM badge.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

madicetea

#4 Post by madicetea » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:35 pm

Whoops. Thanks for the correction. You are probably right about this, it has 'lenovo' next to the model name on the screen. Silly me :lol: !

Past: 701Cs German, 535/X, 760E/XL, i-series 12/14xx, piano s30, R60e, X60, X61, T60, T61, X200 P8700, X121e

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:12 pm

I can't blame you for making that mistake, even I did. Check out the X41 Tablet. It has absolutely no Lenovo marks, even the bottom despite the fact it was produced by them.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

kishy

#6 Post by kishy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Well, that was fast...I wasn't expecting replies to this for weeks to months lol.

Timeline, I am not in any rush (but at the same time, I'm prepared to move quickly for the right item). I've been passively hoping to stumble upon one of these for the last few years, this is just the first time I've bothered to speak up about it anywhere.

That LCD does seem to be hard to get now...and I realize that finding it in Canada is likely to be impossible, so whether it's a complete PC110 or just a display panel, or something in between, I would likely have to import something additional to finish the project. Part of the novelty of a tiny retro notebook PC is, of course, the fact that it's a notebook PC and can travel with you. Therefore, nursing it back to health would be mandatory for me.

About the 'camera' battery: is it not possible to source a new, as in new-manufactured, not "new but sat on the shelf for the last 20 years" battery for the camera that shares the battery? I was looking forward to that as a plus to the PC110 vs other notebook options. I'm not afraid of soldering, but battery rebuilding is something entirely different. I've been terrified to try it, frankly.

The PCMCIA camera, I more or less expect I will never lay my hands on in my lifetime. Of course I would like it, mainly for novelty reasons, but at some point the scale between novelty value and sensibility tips.

I would definitely like to see it, whether it be in an assortment of photos or a video like you offered. I think your asking $ is a reasonable figure to start at. However since for similar $, one can get a complete, operational, ready to go Libretto of similar vintage, it's obviously a decision I'll have to give some thought to. I'll talk $ further in PMs, following seeing this thing in action (but again no rush, please do it at your leisure).

I'm stuck between a PC110 (I love the way they look...their functionality is easily found in other computers), a Libretto such as a 50ct or 60ct, or a newer Libretto with USB. But that's not really a discussion for this thread, that's more a conversation I need to have with myself about what I really want and why.

TL;DR: I'd love to see a video or photos of yours in action, please, and if I'm interested at a dollar amount I can reasonably offer you, we'll go from there :)
PC 110 | 760E SVGA | 760E XGA | 235 | 600 | T21 | Z60m | T520 | W520 (dd) | T430 | T530

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:07 am

The display you are looking for is: K6481L-FF, manufactured by Citizen

madicetea

#8 Post by madicetea » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:09 pm

>4-by-3-san
WAIT! Does the K-model series work as well?

I haven't bothered trying to source that in from Taobao yet, but if you can provide reasonable proof it should work, I'll try importing one towards Japan to work on it.

That would be FUN if it actually works.

>Kishy-san

Please be patient. I won't be doing much until early April at this point (my own one-month vacation away from life) so like you said it'll be a few months before you see it at your place.
If I do manage to fix it, please realize I can charge more for it even domestically, so the price point literally doubles. Just as most good Thinkpad 235s and 220s out there would appreciate in value.

Also, I'm thinking of trying to message everyone on Mercari that possibly bought that item is a) they have it and b) they'd be willing to give it up for a price.

Next update: Probably early-April

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:44 pm

I searched up on Panelook and it was the only panel that came up under 4.7" 640x480.

It was STN and color with a 33 pin TTL interface. If I can cement more proof, I will edit this post later.

EDIT: It is 8-bit TTL, meaning 256 colors, exactly like the Pc110.

kishy

#10 Post by kishy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:15 am

At a glance, availability of the "K" part does not look substantially (or at all) better than for the "L" part, but I'm running into firewall issues (workplace) preventing me getting to one or two sites so I may be missing something.

Certainly, repaired, it would be worth as much as someone out there is willing to pay. No disagreement from me about that.

I'll patiently await your next update so I can take a look at it, and offer accordingly (ideal situation being that it's still screen-less at the time, but a supplier of an appropriate screen has been identified...)

Thanks!

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am

On US eBay, broken units go for 40-100$ a piece.

kishy

#12 Post by kishy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:35 am

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am
On US eBay, broken units go for 40-100$ a piece.
Broken PC110s, such as with the issue Icewobs has disclosed?

Without meaning to bore everyone to death: given that Icewobs is including the "entire set of stuff", which I take to mean includes the PS/2 cable, floppy drive, dock, AC adapter, and more than likely the flash card described, I'd be more comfortable in the lower 100s USD with confirmed knowledge that I'll be able to source a screen for an acceptable amount. It's also unclear how much RAM is installed; Win3.1 instead of 95 makes me worry it's in base configuration, which I don't really want much anyway. This also assumes the PC110 unit itself is in reasonable condition otherwise, and 100% functions except for the absent screen (and includes the top half of the notebook into which I could put a screen when I find one). It does appear the battery can be had in North America for not a lot of money, new, so I'm not too worried about that.

If the screen is unobtainium, a PC110 with no screen is worth nothing to me...the novelty value of sitting on my shelf, never able to be used again, can't be translated into dollars. If I wanted to use it in a permanent desktop configuration I would paint a desktop 486 black and use it with my IBM M13 keyboard :)

On the flipside: a complete PC110 case unit with unusable internals would be a highly attractive place for something like a Raspberry Pi to live, assuming a higher res screen in the same size can be had, but that's not anywhere on the horizon for me.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#13 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:05 pm

If you ever want that, check out the Unisys CWD-4002 or 5002(486/75 and P133 respectively)

tom lightbody

#14 Post by tom lightbody » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:51 pm

will sell pc 110 in original shipping box, works OK
complete with power supply, floppy, dock, parallel port
network connector, 3 pcmcia hard drives, battery, various
floppy disks including Personware (english)

in the USA

interested?

thanks,
tom
the way up and the way down are the same (heraclitus)

kishy

#15 Post by kishy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:21 am

YGPM! Cleveland is close enough that I might even drive to get it in person, if this deal materializes.

As it happens, a well-equipped and great condition Libretto 60CT is in transit to me currently, but since I just can't help myself, I'll still entertain a PC110.

As they say...

madicetea

#16 Post by madicetea » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 pm

To user 'tom lightbody' - I've messaged you as well.

To user 'kishy' - thanks for your well-wishes and I see another opportunity has arisen. This is very nice.

For now, mine looks like this (https://i.redd.it/8h1hklpaccb01.jpg), but I hope I will find another screen donor at some point.

madicetea

#17 Post by madicetea » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:44 pm
I searched up on Panelook and it was the only panel that came up under 4.7" 640x480.

It was STN and color with a 33 pin TTL interface. If I can cement more proof, I will edit this post later.

EDIT: It is 8-bit TTL, meaning 256 colors, exactly like the Pc110.
Thank you for telling me about the existence of this site (I assume http://www.panelook.com) - it is quite useful and I will keep it in my bookmarks.

kishy

#18 Post by kishy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 am

Icewobs wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 pm
To user 'kishy' - thanks for your well-wishes and I see another opportunity has arisen. This is very nice.

For now, mine looks like this (https://i.redd.it/8h1hklpaccb01.jpg), but I hope I will find another screen donor at some point.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that deal is done. It is more attractive for various reasons (I mean no offense by this), but he hasn't responded to my PM yet, so I don't know if perhaps another buyer snuck in before me or what may have happened.

I will be posting in this thread when the WTB has been fulfilled, and at present, it's nowhere near that point.

In unrelated news, I accidentally stumbled upon the external floppy drive for my CD-ROM-equipped 760E for $5 (yay) and the Libretto is just the cutest little thing...

With the possible exception of a PC110 :)

And yes, I tend to enjoy taking things apart.

Edit: PM response received, the pending offer ahead of me is several times higher than I'll pay even if I win the lottery today, so my quest remains. As mentioned in the OP please PM me if you have one you'd part with, and icewobs, yours is still in consideration pending more detailed media (photo, video), with the same 'no rush' point as before.

madicetea

#19 Post by madicetea » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:10 am

kishy wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 am
Icewobs wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 pm

Edit: PM response received, the pending offer ahead of me is several times higher than I'll pay even if I win the lottery today, so my quest remains. As mentioned in the OP please PM me if you have one you'd part with, and icewobs, yours is still in consideration pending more detailed media (photo, video), with the same 'no rush' point as before.
I have received your edited update and I will update you within the next month (but probably no sooner than the next three weeks). Then again, PC110 machines hit the market so seldom that I don't expect too many other offers to pop-up anytime soon.

johnblade

#20 Post by johnblade » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:38 am

If you read this, I have a complete IBM PC110 in my collection and I don't mind selling it to you. They is two issue with mine. One is the screen and the other is the rust corrosion in the battery compartment but other than that, the unit do work when I manage to test it. And the big positive for you is I am in Canada and not too far for you to travel (Toronto area). If you need more info, do ask and we will go from there.

kishy

#21 Post by kishy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 pm

I've responded to the above via PM - thank you for getting in touch about it.

Somewhat as an aside: what exactly is the failure/effect/environmental cause of the LCD panels getting destroyed seemingly just due to age? I have never seen, with any computer except a PC110, the type of damage that these screens often seem to have. For example, this unit was on Yahoo Auctions, and the screen is completely unusable. What causes this?

I have handled far more 386 and 486 era computer hardware, laptops included, than the average person my age (28), yet none have had damage like that, and yet somehow I have now seen multiple PC110s like that.

madicetea

#22 Post by madicetea » Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am

kishy wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Somewhat as an aside: what exactly is the failure/effect/environmental cause of the LCD panels getting destroyed seemingly just due to age? I have never seen, with any computer except a PC110, the type of damage that these screens often seem to have. For example, this unit was on Yahoo Auctions, and the screen is completely unusable. What causes this?

I have handled far more 386 and 486 era computer hardware, laptops included, than the average person my age (28), yet none have had damage like that, and yet somehow I have now seen multiple PC110s like that.
I'm in my early 20s so perhaps some things like this surprise me even more. I hear that at least for Japan, it is the summertime high heat and humidity that causes this condition. I had to look for a while to find an acceptable condition i-series as well (took good parts from four junk units to make my build).

I had the project on hold, but will soon try to import a screen from China to continue my project.

If I ever do manage to find a screen (so many Chinese sellers who say 'sorry friend, no stock') then it will be a fun race to the finish.

Did you ever get yourself the PC110 Kishy-san?

zephray

#23 Post by zephray » Sun May 13, 2018 4:05 am

Icewobs wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am
kishy wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm in my early 20s so perhaps some things like this surprise me even more. I hear that at least for Japan, it is the summertime high heat and humidity that causes this condition. I had to look for a while to find an acceptable condition i-series as well (took good parts from four junk units to make my build).

I had the project on hold, but will soon try to import a screen from China to continue my project.

If I ever do manage to find a screen (so many Chinese sellers who say 'sorry friend, no stock') then it will be a fun race to the finish.

One of my friend said that he got a screen from one of the Chinese sellers recently. I do not own PC110 so I do not need that. But if you need that screen, I guess I can get one for you probably.
Collections: ThinkPad 230CS, 235, 240, 240Z, 535E, 560E, 700C, 701C, 750C, 755C, 760XL, 800, S30, TransNote, T23, X23, X31, X32, X40, X41, X41T, T42, T43, T60, T61, X60, X61, X61T, X61s, X201, X301, T400, W500, T420, T430, X230, 5499 OnlineNote, PS/2 E, WorkPad Z50

madicetea

#24 Post by madicetea » Sun May 13, 2018 11:05 am

zephray wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:05 am
Icewobs wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am

One of my friend said that he got a screen from one of the Chinese sellers recently. I do not own PC110 so I do not need that. But if you need that screen, I guess I can get one for you probably.
Grrrrr I was looking at that same Chinese seller I think. I asked and he said "out of stock" lols.

I will consider your offer if it is a known good screen (and preference if it comes with the entire lid unit).
If you are not sure, send me pictures / PM me and I will make a decision.
Shipping will not be cheap, so I must be able to determine it is a good screen (and since my work is reduced, I will give bonus consideration to an entire lid unit being provided).

Regards.

madicetea

#25 Post by madicetea » Mon May 28, 2018 8:58 pm

kishy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:27 pm
Well, that was fast...I wasn't expecting replies to this for weeks to months lol.

Timeline, I am not in any rush (but at the same time, I'm prepared to move quickly for the right item). I've been passively hoping to stumble upon one of these for the last few years, this is just the first time I've bothered to speak up about it anywhere.

That LCD does seem to be hard to get now...and I realize that finding it in Canada is likely to be impossible, so whether it's a complete PC110 or just a display panel, or something in between, I would likely have to import something additional to finish the project. Part of the novelty of a tiny retro notebook PC is, of course, the fact that it's a notebook PC and can travel with you. Therefore, nursing it back to health would be mandatory for me.

About the 'camera' battery: is it not possible to source a new, as in new-manufactured, not "new but sat on the shelf for the last 20 years" battery for the camera that shares the battery? I was looking forward to that as a plus to the PC110 vs other notebook options. I'm not afraid of soldering, but battery rebuilding is something entirely different. I've been terrified to try it, frankly.

The PCMCIA camera, I more or less expect I will never lay my hands on in my lifetime. Of course I would like it, mainly for novelty reasons, but at some point the scale between novelty value and sensibility tips.

I would definitely like to see it, whether it be in an assortment of photos or a video like you offered. I think your asking $ is a reasonable figure to start at. However since for similar $, one can get a complete, operational, ready to go Libretto of similar vintage, it's obviously a decision I'll have to give some thought to. I'll talk $ further in PMs, following seeing this thing in action (but again no rush, please do it at your leisure).

I'm stuck between a PC110 (I love the way they look...their functionality is easily found in other computers), a Libretto such as a 50ct or 60ct, or a newer Libretto with USB. But that's not really a discussion for this thread, that's more a conversation I need to have with myself about what I really want and why.

TL;DR: I'd love to see a video or photos of yours in action, please, and if I'm interested at a dollar amount I can reasonably offer you, we'll go from there :)
A PC110 Compatible camera entered the market so I thought you would like to know.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v555793987

Perhaps if I manage to get this camera, it is time to discuss the price I would be willing to sell you my system at (if you are still interested).

johnblade

#26 Post by johnblade » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm

I know this isn't my post but I was wondering if anyone here can fix the screen of this unit? I manage to get another unit with a good screen and was wondering if someone can do a proper screen replacement by literally change the screen from one unit to another? Just something I am interested to hear here.

madicetea

#27 Post by madicetea » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 pm

johnblade wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm
I know this isn't my post but I was wondering if anyone here can fix the screen of this unit? I manage to get another unit with a good screen and was wondering if someone can do a proper screen replacement by literally change the screen from one unit to another? Just something I am interested to hear here.
You can, and if you are sure it is a good screen, I am interested in sourcing it.

johnblade

#28 Post by johnblade » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Icewobs wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 pm
johnblade wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm
You can, and if you are sure it is a good screen, I am interested in sourcing it.
The screen don't have the same issue which is destroy and can't be use unless you use it external. The one I have is coming from another unit I manage to get and the screen do work when I turn on. Unfortunately, the 2nd unit don't boot up but I can see the screen it's working when I see a line when I boot up for the 1st time. The only issue I can say is it isn't as bright but I can't confirm this till I can boot the unit up to DOS. Just need someone to switch the screen and maybe check the mother board for a battery leak from my 1st unit which I notice inside where the battery go into.

kishy

#29 Post by kishy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 am

My apologies for the lack of response earlier.

I am still seeking one of these, but have inched my way closer to one. I currently own one that will soon be in transit from far away lands. Its working condition is not known but case plastics and (!!!!!!) LCD panel appear to be in good condition.

After watching several sales of old Japanese laptops, I have seen the screen surface distortion/delamination on far more than just the PC110. I agree with the earlier remark that there must be environmental conditions (temperature, humidity?) in regions of Japan which accelerate this damage. Perhaps the safest place for a good condition PC110 is anywhere other than its homeland.

It is my hope that the PC110 I have purchased is fully operational, but I realize it's a long shot. I'll be sure to update regarding any success here. And if it turns out the screen does appear to be good but the rest of it is not, I'd certainly be looking for a screen-less example to attach it to.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#30 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:09 am

If it aint a good screen, upgrade it to TFT. Then you can have the only TFT PC110 :mrgreen: