Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SOLD: X230 w/ IPS screen, 16 GB RAM, and Coreboot

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

SOLD: X230 w/ IPS screen, 16 GB RAM, and Coreboot

#1 Post by ThinkRob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 am

For sale is my personal X230. It's got 16 GB of RAM, an IPS screen, and has been flashed with Coreboot (so no Intel ME backdoor). I'm also including a dock an a power adapter.

Cosmetically it's about 8.5/10. There is a small crack near the ExpressCard slot, that doesn't affect functionality, as well as the usual wear on the corners, but that's about it. Hinges are nice and tight. The screen is beautiful, with no marks or dead pixels, and the rest of the laptop has no major scratches or other blemishes. The IPS screen is great, and is plenty bright and readable in just about every setting.

Regarding Coreboot: the laptop is currently flashed with SeaBIOS, so it boots just like a normal BIOS and can run Windows, Linux, etc. just fine. And since it's not the Lenovo BIOS, there is no wireless card restriction (the laptop currently has an upgraded Intel card in it, as well as an aftermarket 3G WWAN modem)!

The flash region is unlocked, so you can reflash it from within Linux using flashrom, which is a lot more convenient than opening it up and attaching to the flash chip. If none of that made sense and you just want the stock BIOS on there, I can do that too, although you will need to replace the wireless and WWAN cards with older, Lenovo-BIOS-compatible ones.

I'm starting this listing at $200 even, shipped anywhere in the continental US, which given the specs and the features I think is fair. If you want international shipping, let me know and I can figure out what that would cost.

If you have any questions or want to make an offer, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: FS: X230 w/ IPS screen, 16 GB RAM, and Coreboot

#2 Post by ThinkRob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Sold.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!