Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

For Trade (EU): T42p in Mint condition (dead mobo) -> x220 base, x61 SXGA+ mod, x61 LED mod

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
WarhawkCZ
Sophomore Member

For Trade (EU): T42p in Mint condition (dead mobo) -> x220 base, x61 SXGA+ mod, x61 LED mod

#1 Post by WarhawkCZ » Fri May 11, 2018 7:14 am

I happen to have a complete 15 inch T42p in mint shape but with a dead graphics card. The laptop boots to bios or memtest and runs over the night without any problem. However, the screen goes black after couple seconds every time I try to boot any graphical OS. I guess this is about the well known BGA soldering problem. I tried to reflow the mobo but it did not work in this case.
The laptop has the fancy UXGA IPS panel. I originally wanted to repair the laptop and keep it as a collectible. However, I have hard times to find a spare functional motherboard for a decent price.

It is pity to throw the laptop away so I am offering it here. I would like to ideally trade it for one of the following:
  • x220 bottom base
  • x61 SXGA+ display (for x61 SXGA+ mod)
  • x61 LED backlight mod
or something x220/x230/x61 related :)

Alternatively, if you have a t42p compatible motherboard for the cost of shipping, I would be interested.

I believe that the UXGA panel can be used for T601 frankenpad if you solder the EEID memory on.

note: EU only, I would ship it from Germany or Czechia.