Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
Post Reply
Message
Author
huh
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 am
Location: Chicago, IL

WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#1 Post by huh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 am

I am lazy and I can't solder worth a darn. I'd like either an x220 or x230 with the IPS mod already done if someone doesn't want theirs for whatever reason. I'd prefer it be in good condition. Alternatively, if you have another kitted out X series with an upgraded display and other fun stuff, let me know and we can talk.
Last edited by huh on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr_st
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7496
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 am

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster IPS mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#2 Post by dr_st » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:37 pm

You understand that nitrocaster's mod is all about Full HD (1920x1080), right? X220/X230 can also come with stock IPS screens, but only HD (1366x768) resolution.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG, X61 7673-V2V
T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

huh
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster IPS mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#3 Post by huh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Yep, sorry for the poor wording in the title.

penartur
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#4 Post by penartur » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 am

51nb now has a batch of new old stock (I believe) X230 which they are willing to mod with classic keyboard and WQHD 12.5" or FHD 13.3" screens. They sell these to international customers for $440+shipping for barebones i7 system (you'll need to add your own RAM, SSD/HDD, battery and a power adapter). I've already ordered myself that 13.3" variant on Friday, and now am waiting for Jacky to ship it.

As a side note, there are now 9-cell X230 batteries for ~$40 on aliexpress, claimed to be genuine and unused (new old stock too?); from feedback it seems that these indeed are genuine, holding full 94Wh of energy.
Lifebook P1032 (1024*600 8.9") => Averatec AV1000 (WXGA 10.6") => Kohjinsha SH6 (1024*600 7.2") => Sharp M4000 (WXGA 13.3") => X200-AFFS, dead => X200s-AFFS, later -PVA => X220 4290RV5 + Intel 310 80GB, T420s 4173KSU + FHD IPS + Sandisk Z400s 128GB

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 19442
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Mt. Cobb, PA
Contact:

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:24 am

@penartur
Would you mind telling us exactly which 9-cell X230 battery that is on Aliexpress?
Would it be this one?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

penartur
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#6 Post by penartur » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:22 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:24 am
@penartur
Would you mind telling us exactly which 9-cell X230 battery that is on Aliexpress?
Would it be this one?
Yes, that's the one I've purchased. Have to wait another month to receive it, so cannot say if it's genuine from my own experience. However, feedback seems to suggest that these are genuine.
Lifebook P1032 (1024*600 8.9") => Averatec AV1000 (WXGA 10.6") => Kohjinsha SH6 (1024*600 7.2") => Sharp M4000 (WXGA 13.3") => X200-AFFS, dead => X200s-AFFS, later -PVA => X220 4290RV5 + Intel 310 80GB, T420s 4173KSU + FHD IPS + Sandisk Z400s 128GB

huh
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:41 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#7 Post by huh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:09 pm

penartur wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 am
51nb now has a batch of new old stock (I believe) X230 which they are willing to mod with classic keyboard and WQHD 12.5" or FHD 13.3" screens. They sell these to international customers for $440+shipping for barebones i7 system (you'll need to add your own RAM, SSD/HDD, battery and a power adapter). I've already ordered myself that 13.3" variant on Friday, and now am waiting for Jacky to ship it.

As a side note, there are now 9-cell X230 batteries for ~$40 on aliexpress, claimed to be genuine and unused (new old stock too?); from feedback it seems that these indeed are genuine, holding full 94Wh of energy.
Thank you for the info! I have emailed lcdfans. I read another thread on here that stated they didn't have the flickering problems like other people did with the 1440p display so I hope that remains the case.

financialwar
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#8 Post by financialwar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 am

penartur wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 am
51nb now has a batch of new old stock (I believe) X230 which they are willing to mod with classic keyboard and WQHD 12.5" or FHD 13.3" screens. They sell these to international customers for $440+shipping for barebones i7 system (you'll need to add your own RAM, SSD/HDD, battery and a power adapter). I've already ordered myself that 13.3" variant on Friday, and now am waiting for Jacky to ship it.

As a side note, there are now 9-cell X230 batteries for ~$40 on aliexpress, claimed to be genuine and unused (new old stock too?); from feedback it seems that these indeed are genuine, holding full 94Wh of energy.
how do you order from 51nb?

penartur
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#9 Post by penartur » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 am

financialwar wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 am
penartur wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 am
51nb now has a batch of new old stock (I believe) X230 which they are willing to mod with classic keyboard and WQHD 12.5" or FHD 13.3" screens. They sell these to international customers for $440+shipping for barebones i7 system (you'll need to add your own RAM, SSD/HDD, battery and a power adapter). I've already ordered myself that 13.3" variant on Friday, and now am waiting for Jacky to ship it.

As a side note, there are now 9-cell X230 batteries for ~$40 on aliexpress, claimed to be genuine and unused (new old stock too?); from feedback it seems that these indeed are genuine, holding full 94Wh of energy.
how do you order from 51nb?
lcdfans on facebook
Lifebook P1032 (1024*600 8.9") => Averatec AV1000 (WXGA 10.6") => Kohjinsha SH6 (1024*600 7.2") => Sharp M4000 (WXGA 13.3") => X200-AFFS, dead => X200s-AFFS, later -PVA => X220 4290RV5 + Intel 310 80GB, T420s 4173KSU + FHD IPS + Sandisk Z400s 128GB

financialwar
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#10 Post by financialwar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:31 am

spoke to jacky, those fhd screens on the new batch are Chimei, not Sharp... he wants extra for sharp panel.

penartur
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#11 Post by penartur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:41 am

financialwar wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:31 am
spoke to jacky, those fhd screens on the new batch are Chimei, not Sharp... he wants extra for sharp panel.
Is there a significant difference? I've already ordered myself one with 13.3" FHD mod for $440; did I make a mistake?
Lifebook P1032 (1024*600 8.9") => Averatec AV1000 (WXGA 10.6") => Kohjinsha SH6 (1024*600 7.2") => Sharp M4000 (WXGA 13.3") => X200-AFFS, dead => X200s-AFFS, later -PVA => X220 4290RV5 + Intel 310 80GB, T420s 4173KSU + FHD IPS + Sandisk Z400s 128GB

financialwar
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#12 Post by financialwar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:21 am

penartur wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:41 am
financialwar wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:31 am
spoke to jacky, those fhd screens on the new batch are Chimei, not Sharp... he wants extra for sharp panel.
Is there a significant difference? I've already ordered myself one with 13.3" FHD mod for $440; did I make a mistake?
I don't know if there is a difference. But I thought the whole point of ordering a modded x230/x220 is to have panel upgraded, so why did not you ask what panel he's gonna use?

penartur
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#13 Post by penartur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:31 am

financialwar wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:21 am
penartur wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:41 am


Is there a significant difference? I've already ordered myself one with 13.3" FHD mod for $440; did I make a mistake?
I don't know if there is a difference. But I thought the whole point of ordering a modded x230/x220 is to have panel upgraded, so why did you ask what panel he's gonna use? I personally would like want sharp fhd since the whole point of paying extra $$$ is to have the best screen..?!!
For me, the point of ordering modded X230 was to get it with large 13.3" IPS screen with decent resolution. But of course I'm willing to pay extra to get a better screen, if it's noticeably better.
Lifebook P1032 (1024*600 8.9") => Averatec AV1000 (WXGA 10.6") => Kohjinsha SH6 (1024*600 7.2") => Sharp M4000 (WXGA 13.3") => X200-AFFS, dead => X200s-AFFS, later -PVA => X220 4290RV5 + Intel 310 80GB, T420s 4173KSU + FHD IPS + Sandisk Z400s 128GB

penartur
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#14 Post by penartur » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:30 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:24 am
@penartur
Would you mind telling us exactly which 9-cell X230 battery that is on Aliexpress?
Would it be this one?
Follow-up: I've received this battery two days ago. It looks genuine; X220 detects it correctly (as 45N1023); Lenovo ThinkVantage tells me it's genuine with SANYO cells, manufactured on April 2018 (I wonder how is that possible? What are EOLs for Thinkpads?)
It had zero cycles on it (Lenovo ThinkVantage reports the day I've received it as the first use date). Design capacity is 93.24Wh. Originally it was 99% charged at ~92Wh; after performing battery reset in Lenovo ThinkVantage, I'm getting 98.41Wh!
Lifebook P1032 (1024*600 8.9") => Averatec AV1000 (WXGA 10.6") => Kohjinsha SH6 (1024*600 7.2") => Sharp M4000 (WXGA 13.3") => X200-AFFS, dead => X200s-AFFS, later -PVA => X220 4290RV5 + Intel 310 80GB, T420s 4173KSU + FHD IPS + Sandisk Z400s 128GB

TheToeNail
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:15 pm
Location: New Haven, CT USA

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#15 Post by TheToeNail » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:53 am

what kind of battery life are you getting with that? Im tempted to order, but im getting decent battery life with my current battery. Also not really big on it sticking out the back.

Im getting around 3-4 hours on mine.

penartur
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: WTB: x220/x230 with nitrocaster FHD mod (US), or other X series with upgraded displays.

#16 Post by penartur » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:05 pm

TheToeNail wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:53 am
what kind of battery life are you getting with that? Im tempted to order, but im getting decent battery life with my current battery. Also not really big on it sticking out the back.

Im getting around 3-4 hours on mine.
Number of hours equals capacity of battery (in watt-hours) divided by average (harmonic mean, to be precise) power consumption (in watts).

Different people use their laptops differently and have wildly varying power consumptions; so comparing hours is pointless when we're comparing batteries. What you should compare is battery capacities; and this Chinese one has a capacity of 98Wh. You can check yours by going to thinkvantage app and checking "full charge capacity" value in power tab.
Lifebook P1032 (1024*600 8.9") => Averatec AV1000 (WXGA 10.6") => Kohjinsha SH6 (1024*600 7.2") => Sharp M4000 (WXGA 13.3") => X200-AFFS, dead => X200s-AFFS, later -PVA => X220 4290RV5 + Intel 310 80GB, T420s 4173KSU + FHD IPS + Sandisk Z400s 128GB

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Marketplace - Forum Members only”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests