Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WTB 701c

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
rakohler

WTB 701c

#1 Post by rakohler » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi guys,

I am looking for an IBM ThinkPad 701c Butterfly Machine in good condition.

regards,

Ralf

hwattys

Re: WTB 701c

#2 Post by hwattys » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 am

I am having some motherboards refurbished with new CMOS batteries and will have a DX4/75 unit (my personal machine for years) and a custom AMD 586 machine for sale in about two weeks. The latter is a board and chassis I got from Bill Morrow. Not sure on pricing yet but these things ain't cheap. Parts units are regularly bringing $200 plus on eBay and good working units approach $500. I do have two complete sets of accessories (dock, original AC adapter, printer cable, floppy, etc.). If the 586 motherboard can be restored to full working condition I even have a 64 meg memory module for it. Again, from Bill Morrow.

rakohler

#3 Post by rakohler » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 am

That is great news. Please contact me as soon as you are ready.

regards,

r.

hwattys

#4 Post by hwattys » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:48 pm

The AMD machine is complete. Works flawlessly now. Boots to Windows with no error except I have the drive formatted FAT32 so it cannot create a hibernation partition so you get that error at boot but easily bypassed. Not other CMOS or memory errors. Its a 586 AMD CPU at 133 mhz. 40 megs RAM. I have a 64 meg module for it but it bluescreens. No bluescreen with the 32 meg and 40 megs total. 720 meg original Thinkpad hard drive. The case is in decent shape. Its a bit battered but not sticky. I have a pcmcia port cover for it so all port covers are there. Windows 95 is installed with all drivers and there is a retro DOS shooter and useful period software.
I have all accessories for it except the parallel port cable. It has a battery (dead) in a canvas carrying case, external floppy, original wallmount AC adapter specifically made for the 701C, and the port replicator. New CMOS battery so it keeps time. There is a pcmcia network card installed and configured so you can easily move files to it on a network. Here is a link to a picture gallery. This is Bill Morrow's machine he sent to me to refurbish and it has taken me a year and a half but finally got it done. I am going to put an asking price of $900 but willing to discuss. I am pretty sure you will not be seeing many, if any, more of these ever.

Link to picture gallery:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fIPYC ... lYpMsirwY0

Happy to answer any questions and I do now have another machine I need to assemble and some good motherboards. This will be for sale down the road.