Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

FS: Thinkpad 701C AMD 586 complete working

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
hwattys

FS: Thinkpad 701C AMD 586 complete working

#1 Post by hwattys » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm

The AMD machine described here:

https://thinkpads.com/167/bills-butterf ... collection

is now complete and working. I had a local technician solder a new CMOS battery onto the lower board. Works flawlessly now. Boots to Windows with no error except I have the drive formatted FAT32 so it cannot create a hibernation partition so you get that error at boot but easily bypassed. Not other CMOS or memory errors. Its a 586 AMD CPU at 133 mhz. 40 megs RAM. I have a 64 meg module for it but it bluescreens. No bluescreen with the 32 meg providing 40 megs total. 720 meg original Thinkpad hard drive. The case is in decent shape. Its a bit battered but not sticky. The hard drive caddy has a crack but still works and holds in place fine. There is a screw missing on the bottom. You can see some roughness and scratches. The pictures are pretty good. See the link below.

I have a pcmcia port cover for it so all port covers are there. Windows 95 is installed with all drivers and there is a retro DOS shooter and useful period software.

I have all accessories for it except the parallel port cable. It has a battery (dead) in a canvas carrying case, external floppy, original wallmount AC adapter specifically made for the 701C, and the port replicator. New CMOS battery so it keeps time. There is a pcmcia network card installed and configured so you can easily move files to it on a network. This is Bill Morrow's machine (at least the motherboard-some of the chassis parts are from my collection) he sent to me to refurbish and it has taken me a year and a half but finally got it done. I am going to put an asking price of $750 but willing to discuss. I am pretty sure you will not be seeing many, if any, more of these ever.

Link to picture gallery:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fIPYC ... lYpMsirwY0

Now listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202612918557?s ... 1554.l2649

Happy to answer any questions and I do now have another machine I need to assemble and some good motherboards. These will be for sale down the road.

hwattys

Re: FS: Thinkpad 701C AMD 586 complete working

#2 Post by hwattys » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:51 am

bump with some updates