Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[WANTED] vintage 750c LCD Inverter Board

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
beshad
Freshman Member

[WANTED] vintage 750c LCD Inverter Board

#1 Post by beshad » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi all, I am searching for a LCD Inverter Board for ThinkPad 750c part number 53G9730, it has two sliders, one for contrast and one fo brightness so it's different to 755c. i also consider buying cheap a complete 360/750c laptop with faulty logic board or broken casing etc as long as i can pullout the LCD components. thanks
Last edited by beshad on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: [WANTED] vintage 750c LCD Inverter Board

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:07 pm

beshad wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:51 pm
one for contrast and one fo brightness so it's different to 755c.
Some 755C's*** had both sliders....mine does and a few on eBay do.

***(not to be confused with the 755Cs)
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

hwattys

#3 Post by hwattys » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Let me get back to you. I have a box of 750 components and I believe I have a screen inverter

beshad
Freshman Member

#4 Post by beshad » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

hwattys wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:36 pm
Let me get back to you. I have a box of 750 components and I believe I have a screen inverter
that would be awesome. thank you. found/bought one from ebay but they messaged me after, telling me sorry we don't have it in stock :( if you have any other 750c parts for pls let me know, specially HDD, battery, cd-rom, or keyboard lock mechanism (my keyboard doen't lock in place firmly).

hwattys

#5 Post by hwattys » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 am

I know I have HDD, dead battery, there is no CD ROM made for the 750 series unless you mean pcmcia (which I do not have) I have memory, AC adapter and pretty sure I have a keyboard. I will dig the box out of the closet and let you know in the next day or so.

beshad
Freshman Member

#6 Post by beshad » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm

hwattys wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 am
I know I have HDD, dead battery, there is no CD ROM made for the 750 series unless you mean pcmcia (which I do not have) I have memory, AC adapter and pretty sure I have a keyboard. I will dig the box out of the closet and let you know in the next day or so.
very keen on hdd, dead battery and specially the memory, i will have to look again to see if the latch(hook) which i need is on the keyboard itself or is part of laptop bottom housing. but pls let me know what you are willing to sell. thanks

i think they also come with swap-able floppy/cd-rom drive too, don't they? i have seem ppl on the internet take out the floppy drive and its front face cover (it's removable) and drop a cd-rom.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:25 pm

beshad wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm
hwattys wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 am
very keen on hdd, dead battery and specially the memory, i will have to look again to see if the latch(hook) which i need is on the keyboard itself or is part of laptop bottom housing. but pls let me know what you are willing to sell. thanks

i think they also come with swap-able floppy/cd-rom drive too, don't they? i have seem ppl on the internet take out the floppy drive and its front face cover (it's removable) and drop a cd-rom.
Only on the Thinkpads 755CD and CDV machines and most 760s.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

beshad
Freshman Member

#8 Post by beshad » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:25 pm
beshad wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm

i see, i did not know that

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:33 pm

beshad wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:30 pm
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:25 pm

i see, i did not know that
Just going to point this out for your reference. The ultrabay slot on your 750C is only 3.5" wide. The Ultrabay Thick(the 755CD's Ultrabay) has a part above it that is 5.25" wide, because it needs to be that wide to fit a 5.25" CD....unless IBM has some incredible technology I don't know about ;) .

hwattys

#10 Post by hwattys » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:18 pm

I peeked in the box and I am going to have to struggle to recall where I put the batteries. I may have gotten rid of them when I moved a couple years ago but I did find a very rare external 2-battery charger for this model. I definitely have hard drives, DRAM credit card memory and keyboards as well as a couple screens taken apart which include inverters. Also have a couple lower units with motherboards. When you say the keyboard locking mechanism do you mean the latches that hold down the keyboard and are on springs on either side of the keyboard or the metal piece sticking down that allows you to put like a bike lock on it to keep the keyboard from being opened? I am not sure I have a keyboard with one of those intact.

I will inventory box contents and post here.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:51 pm

hwattys wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:18 pm
the metal piece sticking down that allows you to put like a bike lock on it to keep the keyboard from being opened?
I thought that was a HDD lock...and regardless...did anyone ever actually put a lock on there? Seems like it would be very cumbersome.

hwattys

#12 Post by hwattys » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Well these laptops were like $5000 in the day and the removeable hard drive was touted as allowing everyone in a workgroup to share one laptop. Each person would just have his or her own hard drive. But you could lock it in with a little metal piece that slid out.

beshad
Freshman Member

#13 Post by beshad » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:09 pm

hwattys wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm
Well these laptops were like $5000 in the day and the removeable hard drive was touted as allowing everyone in a workgroup to share one laptop. Each person would just have his or her own hard drive. But you could lock it in with a little metal piece that slid out.
thats the idea with me too. planning to have two HDD's, one DOS/WIN3.1 and the other a same era Linux distro. giving a new meaning to dual booting!

beshad
Freshman Member

#14 Post by beshad » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:16 pm

hwattys wrote:
I peeked in the box and I am going to have to struggle to recall where I put the batteries. I may have gotten rid of them when I moved a couple years ago but I did find a very rare external 2-battery charger for this model. I definitely have hard drives, DRAM credit card memory and keyboards as well as a couple screens taken apart which include inverters. Also have a couple lower units with motherboards. When you say the keyboard locking mechanism do you mean the latches that hold down the keyboard and are on springs on either side of the keyboard or the metal piece sticking down that allows you to put like a bike lock on it to keep the keyboard from being opened? I am not sure I have a keyboard with one of those intact.

thank you. i will take a photo of the broken part which stops keyboard from locking in and post here tonight. thanks

beshad
Freshman Member

#15 Post by beshad » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:04 pm

hwattys wrote:

here are two images from either side of keyboard lock. you can see one side has the pointy end broken hence not locking in place.

https://ibb.co/jgj3QQN

https://ibb.co/1sW3GBj

it's the shame that broken pin is part of the complete keyboard so i have to replace the whole keyboard and the keyboard happens to be in a very good condition apart from this broken pin.

hwattys

#16 Post by hwattys » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am

Well I opened the box and took inventory and here is a link to pictures of what I have:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

-Five (5) hard drives I think most are 160 meg but one says 1.2 gig on it just not sure that is the hard drive in it. I also have a couple cases with ribbon cable and screws in which you could install your own hard drive or I can make you a larger one.

-Memory cards DRAM from 4 to 32 meg

-2 lower chassis with motherboard.

-3 keyboards. One has the locking pieces broken out just like yours but 2 appear to be new old stock and one has the little locking piece sticking down that I wrote about above.

-2 AC adapter shown here but I have more of those, too

-What I believe to be your inverter. Part 66G6203...so maybe not.

Still looking for batteries and if you are interested I will post a picture of the external battery charger I have. Holds two batteries and if used right can sometimes revive a NiMh battery that seems dead.

Let me know what you need of this.

beshad
Freshman Member

#17 Post by beshad » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:27 pm

hwattys wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am
Well I opened the box and took inventory and here is a link to pictures of what I have:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

-Five (5) hard drives I think most are 160 meg but one says 1.2 gig on it just not sure that is the hard drive in it. I also have a couple cases with ribbon cable and screws in which you could install your own hard drive or I can make you a larger one.

-Memory cards DRAM from 4 to 32 meg

-2 lower chassis with motherboard.

-3 keyboards. One has the locking pieces broken out just like yours but 2 appear to be new old stock and one has the little locking piece sticking down that I wrote about above.

-2 AC adapter shown here but I have more of those, too

-What I believe to be your inverter. Part 66G6203...so maybe not.

Still looking for batteries and if you are interested I will post a picture of the external battery charger I have. Holds two batteries and if used right can sometimes revive a NiMh battery that seems dead.

Let me know what you need of this.
thanks for going through the trouble to dig these out. i am keen on 1-2 hard-drives and one Kingston memory card , more interested in cosmetic condition than the capacity, so as long as they look good i don't mind any size.

re keyboard, i uploaded couple more photos here: https://ibb.co/3vCVFkM and https://ibb.co/Db8fMBv (and here is the part # https://ibb.co/gjY0t9L) the broken part is the harpoon thingy that locks into the bottom chassis when keyboard is down. mine on one side has the end broken off so keyboard is loose on one side when sit down.

don't worry about chargers (and the external battery charger), but if you find one battery i will take that one too.

the most important part, the inverter, doesn't seem to be the right part sadly. looks different and part number is different too : https://ibb.co/9yf6xN0

hwattys

#18 Post by hwattys » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:36 am

PM me looks like you want 2 160 meg hard drives, a 16 meg DRAM card and a keyboard. I have turned my man cave upside down for a battery and am starting to recall I got rid of them when we moved a couple years ago. Sorry.

The hard drives and memory card and keyboard would be cosmetically as new.