Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Would you buy a 3D printed Laptop Case?

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
Streetguru

Would you buy a 3D printed Laptop Case?

#1 Post by Streetguru » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 am

Just feeling out a market pretty much, could have it reasonably customized or just have a big thinkpad logo on the top of it.

How much would you pay for such a thing? assuming it can fit up to a 15" model and has some foam glued to the inside for added protection?

I tried looking into laptop cases/bags, but there doesn't seem to be much out there? at least not for a decent price.

Also don't know exactly how durable it would be assuming it's printed in some form of PLA due to the size of it, it would be all in one piece.

$50, $100? Are there already decent laptop cases I'm just not able to find?

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Would you buy a 3D printed Laptop Case?

#2 Post by wujstefan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:43 am

No matter if from TLA or ABS, these cases would not be durable at all, especially temperature-wise. Why actually 3d-printed unit?

Not to mention that the cost of 3dprinting such a big thing.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

RoamingAndy

#3 Post by RoamingAndy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59 pm

I would. I've made two posts about it here over the past few years. Something really snug so it doesn't take up much more space as the few hard cases out there do.

i don't mind at all if it would crack on a drop, assuming its reasonably priced. With foam inside it would still do its job of absorbing the impact of the drop and protecting the laptop, so i'd happily buy another (repeat orders).

another alternative is just making custom 3D printed corner protectors which fit on a neoprene case - as that's the parts needing protection when dropped.

you could also make something stronger if you had any interest in vacuum forming them

Saucey

#4 Post by Saucey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:55 pm

The problem with laptop cases is that it would have to be a specific fit for each laptop, next it would be the color selection, then of course, price.

I have a leather case for my X61 Tablet, & it came with a strap, which was handy. Now its warped to hell thanks for me not using it, but I got it for carrying around at a park & then just drawing what I saw.
I'd say make a custom unit for your laptop, showcase it online and see what people think. But with the practicality of having 3D printing done in major cities, you might get clients or customers who'd configure on their own, thus a lost sale.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s