Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Frankenpad motherboards

Use this Forum for the ThinkPad hardware you have for sale or want to buy.
Sorry, no commercial sellers allowed here without asking Bill
TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Frankenpad motherboards

#1 Post by TuuS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:13 am

This is an update of an old thread. I don't want to close the old thread just yet but it's been updated so many times I think I need a new one. It's been a wild ride providing these to the community but the quantity is getting low. I also have some good news.

Effective June 1st 2019 the selling price of the new NOS 44c3924 is $139 plus shipping. It's a small increase that is unfortunately necessary but the good news is we can now offer IBM factory refurbished motherboards for $99 plus shipping. I've only opened a couple of these which appeared to be brand new motherboards that were returned recertified and they were required to mark them as refurbished. Of course it's possible they could have had repairs but this will soon be the only option left and there is a considerable cost savings for those on a budget. I will try to add some photographs soon. Also thanks to some help from a wonderful family member I can continue the same postage rates from 5 years ago because I have access to commercial pricing with bulk discount. Domestic shipping is $15 for any quantity including insurance. International 2 most countries is $40 for the first motherboard and $5 each additional but cannot exceed 4 pounds without a new package so we are limited to three or four motherboards maximum per box.

I also have some other rare motherboards and things from my lifetime collection of thinkpads that I will be selling in this thread. I will list them a couple at a time until they are sold and I will list more.

I will of course honor the old price until the end of May 2019.

I will also be glad to fill any special orders as long as I'm not asked to take through warehouses looking for a specific part numbers only to sell them at or below eBay prices. EBay is for bottom feeders I can provide a better quality source for most parts but please don't ask me to lose money or waste excessive time. I hate to mention this but I have experienced this on a few occasions and I only offer this service because online sites are so unreliable.

RchGrav

Re: Frankenpad motherboards

#2 Post by RchGrav » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:23 am

I have a "very cherry / barely used" T60 the Higher-res Screen and ATI Gfx

As I see it the ATI is unsupportable.. This system was bought by my dad and barely used..

Will this fit in the Type 8743-CTO (Was spec'd nicely at the time)

Thx!

Rich

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:10 pm

RchGrav wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:23 am
I have a "very cherry / barely used" T60 the Higher-res Screen and ATI Gfx

As I see it the ATI is unsupportable.. This system was bought by my dad and barely used..

Will this fit in the Type 8743-CTO (Was spec'd nicely at the time)

Thx!

Rich
If it has a standard 4:3(square) display, then yes. It appears that model is likely a widescreen model and won't fit.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by TuuS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:53 am

That is correct these motherboards will not fit a widescreen laptop but I do have other options available for you. You can still put a t61 motherboard in that laptop. Send me a private message if you are interested.

bwaldow
Freshman Member

#5 Post by bwaldow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi Tuus,

I see https://www.theboardroom.info/t61mobo.html has 44C3924 motherboards. Is anything else for Frankenpads still available?

It's not urgent - I'm exploring how to prolong my use of 4:3 and I have some avenues to explore, but this is one of them.

I'll be considering the best m/b to undervolt - for reliability and longevity, and the best cooling and performance while undervolted, and quadcore vs high end dual core.

Point me at your current list, if there is one.

Cheers,
Bret
Frankenpad: T60/1 2.6Ghz Penryn C2D w/15" UXGA LED backlit LCD & NVS140M GPU
X61 Tablet 1.6Ghz SXGA (7769-A67)
T42 14" SXGA (2378-XXQ)

TuuS
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by TuuS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 am

bwaldow wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:47 pm
Hi Tuus,

I see https://www.theboardroom.info/t61mobo.html has 44C3924 motherboards. Is anything else for Frankenpads still available?

It's not urgent - I'm exploring how to prolong my use of 4:3 and I have some avenues to explore, but this is one of them.

I'll be considering the best m/b to undervolt - for reliability and longevity, and the best cooling and performance while undervolted, and quadcore vs high end dual core.

Point me at your current list, if there is one.

Cheers,
Bret
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. The boards on theboardroom are mine. I have new Nos 44c3924 $139 and refurbished $99. If you must have fx570m 44c3926, an nos board would be $500+, assuming I can pry one out of the hands of one of my friends who has a spare. Performance wise the nvs140m loves overclocking, upto 70% so you get a lot more bang for the buck.

I also have refurbished intel 42w7648 for $79 and 42w7872 used $149 NOS $199

I Also have a 42w7650 fx570 from an unissued laptop $200. This one board cannot be replaced so the 30 day free replacement doesn't apply, but if the gpu fails within 1 year I will replace it with a 44c3924.

As you can see the 44c3924 is the best deal, but supplies are low and prices are going to rise, unfortunately.